Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have upgraded my 2014 for a 2018 Soul!. When I try to listen to the music on my USB it takes a while to load, and then the songs skip. Does anyone have a recommended size 16GB,32GB/.02,.03/brand, etc??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible to save music in the 2018 on the harmon system? My 2014 had the infinity and I was able to load/save music to my music in the system. I have not found it on the harmon yet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Congratulations! I don't know about the 18 Soul, but my wife has a 2017 Sportage with the Harmon Kardon UVO unit, and no it does not save music. She has a 64Gb Lexar flash drive that works perfectly. One thing I've found over the years is to look at the drive on a computer and remove anything that is not music from it. Sometimes they come with software on them that causes issues on certain players. Use FAT32 and you should see only music folders with music files in them. Delete anything else. Or, you may have corrupted the data somehow? Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked and there was an extra file. I deleted it, only have a music folder with music files in it that is listed alphabetically. Plugged it in - so far so good. Do you leave the USB plugged in at all times? I've heard not to, but also heard taking it in and out isn't good either.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I checked and there was an extra file. I deleted it, only have a music folder with music files in it that is listed alphabetically. Plugged it in - so far so good. Do you leave the USB plugged in at all times? I've heard not to, but also heard taking it in and out isn't good either.

Thank you!
I leave the flash drive plugged in all the time, in 2 years ownership never had a problem.

Pat.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
in my 2012 4u I left the flash drive plugged in for at least 3.5 years. The only time I took it out was to add/change tracks, but always turned off the system before removing it.

I notice on my 2016 SX with the UVO system that if I have the 8 gb flash drive plugged in, it would also start where I left off when started again, however when I plugged in my 32 gb flash drive it would always start from the beginning of the files each time I turned the system on - no idea why.

I have Jukebox storage on my UVO system where I have roughly 300 tracks stored on it - obviously varies depending on the compression of the mp3 files.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Thank you!
I always leave mine in, and my wife in her Sportage does too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a sandisk cruzer low profile 2.0 flash drive. Does anyone know the performance difference in the 2.0 vs a 3.0? Will a 3.0 work better?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have upgraded my 2014 for a 2018 Soul!. When I try to listen to the music on my USB it takes a while to load, and then the songs skip. Does anyone have a recommended size 16GB,32GB/.02,.03/brand, etc??
By skipping, do you mean it plays for a few seconds then goes to another song? If so, I suspect it would be in scan mode. Bummer no head unit to put songs on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
32 GB Sandisk drive. I leave mine in all the time except to load new music on it. I use MP3Tag https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ to name them all the same and to add the cover's if they don't have them. Then I use MP3Gain http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ to set all the gains to 92 db. I tried 89 db, but it is too quiet. This helps set the normalization so the loudness is pretty much the same across the board. Mine has never skipped and I usually play on shuffle. Also, I only use mp3's at 192 and greater bit rate.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
32 GB Sandisk drive. I leave mine in all the time except to load new music on it. I use MP3Tag https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ to name them all the same and to add the cover's if they don't have them. Then I use MP3Gain MP3Gain to set all the gains to 92 db. I tried 89 db, but it is too quiet. This helps set the normalization so the loudness is pretty much the same across the board. Mine has never skipped and I usually play on shuffle. Also, I only use mp3's at 192 and greater bit rate.
I'll have to give that a try as that is the one big problem with my collection as its been converted over the years on different equipment and its far from consistent on the volume. When I play them on my UVO system in the car I'm quite frequently using the volume control on the steering wheel to hear the track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By skipping, do you mean it plays for a few seconds then goes to another song? If so, I suspect it would be in scan mode. Bummer no head unit to put songs on.
Songs play and skip like a cd that's been bumped. Stays on the same song.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts