Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls, still don't have my Soul yet, but am working on ideas. anyone taken a look behind the USB port in the dash? I'm wondering if there is a cable hooked up to the port, that you could stick a Y cable in behind the dash or not.

Anyone got pics back there?

Same thing with the stereo unit itself. Anyone got pics of the back of it? Is there a USB port there with a cable that goes to the USB port on the dash?

Would appreciate any help I could get, pics, diagrams, whatever would help.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes.....there is a cable, but it is a regular "harness". The connections ARE in the back of the Infinity head unit, but they are part of the regular harness behind the radio. You could find on KGIS the USB pinouts for the USB port (I think four or five wires if it is anything like the one on your computer's motherboard), but there is no actual USB cable coming out of a USB port from the Infinity headunit.

I have the Infinity headunit OUT of the Soul for several months now....so most of this is subject to fading memory of a middle-aged gay computer nerd with balding blond hair. Your mileage may ALSO vary if you are in possesion of the "other" headunit I have NOT seen before. I am referring to the upgraded Infinity head.....Souls with the sub and LED rings. I am probably safe to assume that the "regular" headunit uses the same connectors....just "less" of 'em, and your speakers are coming from up front instead of the right rear quarter where the amp is ??...who knows.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would like to add...for the purpose of "hacking" and to benefit any "project" you may have in mind with that USB port:

DOES:
Support for pretty much ALL "thumb drives" I have ever thrown at it.....up to at least the little 8GB ""cheap thing from Fry's".

Support the little TINY "microSD" reader with a 4GB card I had in that thing....It barely has anything "sticking out" for you to bump or break off.

Support for all the little cheap "52 in one" card readers I have ever tried in it....from the Sony "Memory Stick" reader I use for all my AIBO robot projects, to the ten dollar reader I had plugged in there to read my Jensen't SD cards.

Works with a six foot USB cable without doing anything WEIRD. i was able to put a card reader in the glovebox from that port in the console via a 6' USB extension.

DOES NOT:
Will NOT under ANY circumstances....appear to have enough current to run a hard drive. Not only is the hdd likely too "big" in capacity, but listenning to said hdd with a stethescope will reveal that the drive is just trying to "start" over and over again. If you can GET the drive to power up......it'll just SIT there on "reading USB"...likely until Chinese New Year of 2014 or thereabouts. I have never gotten a hard drive to work on this port even with external power. I tried both FAT and FAT32...and even NTFS formatted drives.

I did no experimentng with the iPod......I did not go buy the special iPod cable for Soul, and the regular cable that comes with the 8GB Gen3 nano.....only succeeded in locking up the Infinity head on "reading USB" just like the hard drives. I have no use to carry an 8GB iPod in Soul when I can carry 8GB SD cards....and NO "bright shiny object" sitting in the center console for some SCUMBAG to take. I was of course able to use the "audio inputs" from the iPod into that audio port, but was also sorta pointless.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get me some pictures of your spare headunit?

So it is a USB cable hardwired to the headunit, and that plugs into the port in the dash?

I ordered a sport with the stereo upgrade, so I'd love to see this.

I'd appreciate it my mang.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm actually looking for is if the cable from the headunit PLUGS into the panel on the dash. If so, then we can mount a Y cable in between the headunit cable and the dash plug, allowing you to put a large thumbdrive out of sight, and still use the plug in the dash for powering a phone or something. Even better, you could mount a USB Hub, and then power it from the 12V.

I think there is a version of that.

Now I'm REALLY interested.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, that helps some, I looked at it once before. I still need to know for sure though. Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
It all in a standard harness.It's not a usb plugged into the back of the radio and the dash piece.Like Aibo said you would have to find the pin outs and solder into the wires to make your own connection

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was RIGHT in the middle of this reply...when the power went out in a REALLY big part of San Diego.....It's STILL not on almost 12 hours later where I live, so sorry for the delay.

The USB connections are in the "C3" section of the top plug unit.

I'd suggest you get onto KGIS and register an email and password so you can see the great pinouts they have of these headunits. You don't have to be a Kia employee or shop to sign up for KGIS.

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

Then you'll just select "shop" on the left......use the dropdowns to get to the:

Soul(AM) > 2010 > G 2.0 DOHC.

Then I think you just expand the G 2.0 DOHC to:
Body Electrical System
Audio
Audio Unit
Component and Components Location

You will see TWO headunits and the amp.....with pinouts. Ignore the top headunit, unless you're into that sorta thing (Nobody is judging you here). The second head and the amp are the "upgraded" audio.

If my feeble memory serves me okay, the headunit pinouts are all correct. The amp has some weirdness with the tweeter and sub outputs that doesn't match (unless they have fixed this by now)

The USB connections appear to be on the right in the top set of plugs....which they refer to as "C3"...as you are looking at the back of the head.

Unless you already HAVE an "automotive" powered USB hub....which is about an $80-$100 Carnetix item (I have one for my Carputer project), I would just try plugging a regular "15 bucks at Fry's" laptop 4-port USB hub into the existing console USB port. A couple of thumb drives are NOT going to require 4 whole 500ma powered ports to just "try" the concept.

I suspect this "multiple items" won't work......The Infinity head has no reason to include the enumerators for multiple USB devices, so it MAY see one thumb drive on a hub, but I'm almost certain it would not know how to handle two. MAYBE you'll luck out and they actually DO have some sort of routine to select from two devices. You COULD probably get away with the "Y connection" USB cable, but would have to plug a thumb drive in "either" location....not both. And the current supplied by this port is NOT likely a full 500ma. I could not get any hdd to spin up on this port even straight from the headunit. Just like if you use "too skinny" USB cables on your laptop on an external hdd enclosure.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks. I'll take a look at Kiatechinfo again, I've had a login there since about 2005, just couldn't find what I was looking for there.

What I want to do is to mount a large thumb drive behind the dash, and leave the USB port on the dash open for charging. I wouldn't mind having a few spares for charging more, or for future expansion if I go with a carputer setup. That's all I need the spare ports for.

So if the USB plug in the dash is connected to by a proprietary connector from the stereo, that's not a complete loss. You COULD get a second one of those sections of the dash, and mount it inside the dash, then run a Y cable there to the dash mounted one. Might take some work, depending on what the USB port in the dash looks like and how it is mounted from behind, but this could actually work nicely...

I'll update you folks more later, but I'd appreciate it if anyone can get a good macro closeup shot of the BACK of that panel that the USB port is in. I doubt Kiatech has the image I need for that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well I can tell you that the USB port doesnt carry enough power to recharge my Blackberry. Without finding a way to boost the power to the dash port, you'll probably have to get a 12v USB adapter and hard wire it in, or just use up one of the 12v ports for it long term.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SOUL(AM) >2010 > G 2.0 DOHC > Body Electrical System
Removal Multi Media Jack

1. Remove the multi media jack assembly from main creah pad (A) by using the trim remover tool.

2. Disconnect the jack assembly connector(A)

3. Remove the Multi Media Jack (A).

Now THAT is what I was looking for. I'm going to get a extra multimedia jack box, and open it up. I bet you in there you can find what I'm looking for.

Another interesting thing is, you could easily wire it as a 12V USB if you wanted, just by looking at those wiring diagrams I was directed to.

Now, where do we go to find part numbers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You COULD probably get away with the "Y connection" USB cable, but would have to plug a thumb drive in "either" location....not both. And the current supplied by this port is NOT likely a full 500ma. I could not get any hdd to spin up on this port even straight from the headunit. Just like if you use "too skinny" USB cables on your laptop on an external hdd enclosure.
This is exactly correct. Without getting overly technical, the way USB works will not allow you to simply "split" a cable. Both of the new ports would work, but you wouldn't be able to use both at once. Whichever one was plugged in first would take precedence.

I doubt a hub would work, either. The Soul is really only designed to see one device at a time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
DOES NOT:
Will NOT under ANY circumstances....appear to have enough current to run a hard drive. Not only is the hdd likely too "big" in capacity, but listenning to said hdd with a stethescope will reveal that the drive is just trying to "start" over and over again. If you can GET the drive to power up......it'll just SIT there on "reading USB"...likely until Chinese New Year of 2014 or thereabouts. I have never gotten a hard drive to work on this port even with external power. I tried both FAT and FAT32...and even NTFS formatted drives.
I have using external power from a 75w inverter from Radio Shack and my 500gig hdd. Now I don't use this as my normal means of music storage for use in my Soul, but it does work. It does take like 7min to cycle and search the drive but on a cross country move it worked great.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Cool.....First time I saw someone use any hdd with that stock unit.

I of course went away from the stock unit a LONG time ago (I think April).

Carputer I built is now running two 500GB drives, one for 320kbs MP3s,pictures, some game system emulation directories,etc. The other 500GB drive is all Divx AVI and some WMV files (all video)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts