Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will a small USB hard-drive work in the SOUL? Like one that is self-powered through the USB cable and does not require a AC plug? I'm curious, because they are essentially a big flash drive right?

I know Beckie's sticky about USB options says no, but I can't find a logical answer as to why this would be. If a PC can power a flash drive or iPod (many of which have HDD's in them...), why wouldn't a small HDD itself work?

Here are some of the drives I am talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822215025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822242006

It would be AWESOME to be able to have 160GB of music at my fingertips =)
Nothing Exceeds Like Excess :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Never looked into why, but do remember none of my USB hdd enclosures would work.

DID notice you can use most generic card readers on that port though, in case you have a bunch of stuff on SD cards or whatever. Even SDHC readers appear to work.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm in the process of clearing off my WD Passport.. I think it has to be formatted properly and it would work, so if PN doesn't get that one working I'll try my 320 after I re-format it

·
Registered
137 Posts
Didn't work for me. I didn't reformat, and it had a few non-music folders on it. The car recognized the drive, but stayed on the Reading USB screen for a solid 5 minutes before i quit.

Give it a go, SamuraiJack!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
32GB Flash Drive

Just get one of those.

How much space do you all really need? I mean the 32GB flash drive can hold 10,000+ songs. Do you really need more space?

Even with 10,000 songs, your 10 year warranty will be over by the time you listened to all of them just once.

Plus flash drives have much better seek times. Why wait for a hard drive to spin up?

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Bodycount I go with You.
It is easy and small.
What more do you need?

·
Registered
838 Posts
It says in the manual that there is a file limit, I think it's 9,999? Not sure, something like that. I have a seagate passport 500GB mounted in a nextar aluminum case. I have it formatted into 3 partitions. 100, 2x200(approx). I have an external 12vdc to 5vdc mini USB 2.0 adapter. Haven't gotten around to trying it. It may not like the partitions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I prefer the flash drives too. I'm more than satisfied with my little Sony 4 gig, I just wanted to experiment with the hard drive.

My 320 gig didn't have over 9,999 files on it, music or not. It's probably a formatting thing.

I did hear some crazy drive spinning noises as it searched though. Soul was really trying to squeeze out some tunes, it just couldn't.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I reformatted my HD this mornign and copied about 30 files over.. and of course promptly walked out of the house for work without it.. so I'll try it tonight

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
USB is not set to power any thing, just to ead information. Also if you leave it pluged in all the time it may get damaged when you start the engine.??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I suspect that the Soul has limited power through the USB and that is why the hard drives won't work. A flash drive uses very little power in comparison.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm pretty sure it can be FAT32 or NTFS according to Beckie's FAQ post..

If power is an issue, may have to run a USB hub off a power inverter to get it working..

·
Registered
71 Posts
USB is designed for 5 volts DC and a max of 500 mA. Depending on the requirements of the device(s) plugged in this may be enough to power/charge a device. When it comes to hard drives, many external hard drives do run off the power supplied by the USB port (ie WesterDigital Passport series). When users run into trouble it's usually because of a desktop hard drive being placed in an external drive "adapter" (or enclosure if you prefer). Typically the prefab ones (such as the Passport series) use LAPTOP drives which operate on 5vDC where as most desktop hard drives require 12vDC to operate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never had any luck using external drives. I suspect my problem was a file system issue (drive was formatted with NTFS and I bet the Soul's radio only supports FAT32).

I'll second AiboPet's response - Use a memory card reader and several memory cards! I have microSD reader that is the size of your thumbnail - barely sticks out of the dash (http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-us...crosdhc-class-4-card/q/loc/101/209059699.html). 4GB MicroSD cards aren't that expensive, and with multiple cards you can SD card 'playlist' or genre cards. For example a "new age music" sd card and "audiobook" sd card etc.

I'm kinda glad the external drive didn't work because it had me try the memory card approach, which I'm very happy with. Using memory cards is a much easier approach than trying to navigate through one giant drive to try and find a song..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dual usb cord!

I already addressed this in the sticky, but I dont think anybody paid attention to it and the mods didnt add it to the main page of the sticky..

The usb port in the soul does not have enough juice to spin an external hard drive.. What you need to do is grab one of those usb cables for it that has one mini usb and then two males on the other end, one for data and one for power.. Then go grab a Belkin 12v to USB charger and plug it into the cig port... I have my hard drive in the glove box and fished the cable in between the shift console and dashboard and have it plugged into my usb port and my cig adapter.. Works like a charm.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489423
Its small enough to where you can even close the cap on it.. Its great!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mystery solved!
lol, wasnt much of a mystery.. The hardest part was digging around and finding my old dual ended usb cable lol.... Mods should put this in the main sticky for future referance.;)

The only thing I havent quite figured out is I think there is a max limit to how many songs it can handle.. My radio says the hard drive has an even 5000 songs... Not likely.. And I think I have just confirmed that because I added 3 new albums and couldnt find them on there (amidst ALL the other folders) for the life of me! I am almost positive it tops out at support for 5000 songs..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last week I got my Shadow Dragon Soul + !! So far we're loving it much better than our 2008 honda civic coupe we traded in. Love the extra interior lighting kit we had put in too and the leather seats are sweet.
Anyway, I filled up a 32 gb thumbdrive with 5022 songs to test the 5000 song limit on the h u. Sure enough, the stereo "only" shows 5000 files. When I complained to my friend about the 5000 file limit they just laughed at me and asked how long it would take me to actually listen to all of them straight thru. I told them only 1 lap around the continental United States :p

I have 130 gigs of ripped music in wma files that I usually manage with windows media player on my computer and had been loading them as they could fit onto an old zune or an old gigabeat mp3 player.
My wife asked if there was any "Bob" (she's a Dylan freak) on the 32 gigs flashdrive I made. I said no, but told her there will be more of these 5000 song drives I can make. She kind of frowned at me.
It takes about 2 minutes for the usb to start playing after putting it in the usb slot. I just loaded the songs in one folder so we could just shuffle all the songs. I never did see a way where you could shuffle all your artist or album folders using the hu to control the usb.
So...yesterday I went to the dark side and bought a new 160 gb ipod classic (black of course for the shadow dragon). I had been avoiding Itunes trying to reduce clutter on my computer and didn't want to deal with their aac files or whatever they are. I have been happy with Windows Media Player and my wma files. The conversion in Itunes from wma files to mp3 files, and the loading of the ipod, took a while, but went pretty smoothly. My Vista computer didn't crash and the Itunes library and the Windows Media player library seam to be coexisting nicely in my computer. Now we have the ipod loaded with 33000 songs all in their folders of artists and albums etc. I just need to plug it in and try it tonight in the Shadow Dragon. Looking forward to doing a few laps around the country this summer with my entire music collection with us.!
Anyway, it's nice to read the posts on the forum. Sure am learing alot and I am so happy to be a Soul owner!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts