Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from my awesome 2010 orange Forte Koup (The Baby Carrot) to the 2014 Soul ! in Green (The Green Bean) with the Sun and Sound package...

I kept the same USB stick. In Baby Carrot, it would always resume to the track I was just on. In the Green Bean, it always goes back to track one! I am SO SICK of track one! I have over 2,000 songs on the USB stick, so when I'm digging an album that is tracks 1,392-1,405 - what a pain to have to navigate back there just because I stopped for gas! Please tell me there's a way to fix this. I'm about to go to the dealer and ask for Baby Carrot back!

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
i havent tested my thumb drive in my car yet... and i dont have the UVO so im not much help! welcome to the forums. I know the guys here will say "Dont forget to fill out your drives profile!" :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't pull it out - that always resets it. I leave it in. I even tried buying a new USB stick and same thing! I'm so frustrated. I called Kia and they said that it should always go back to track one, but I know that's not true since I've owned a Kia for 4 years and this was never an issue. Also before the Koup, I had a Saturn Ion with a USB drive and it also remembered which track I was on. I feel like I've gone back 7 years in technology with this car!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
No, I don't pull it out - that always resets it. I leave it in. I even tried buying a new USB stick and same thing! I'm so frustrated. I called Kia and they said that it should always go back to track one, but I know that's not true since I've owned a Kia for 4 years and this was never an issue. Also before the Koup, I had a Saturn Ion with a USB drive and it also remembered which track I was on. I feel like I've gone back 7 years in technology with this car!!
On my 2013 Soul it remembers what track it was on with the USB; if I plug my Sony walkman MP3 player in through the USB it always resets to the first track. Why it recognizes a USB stick as a stick and the walkman as something different is puzzling to me, but it is the case.

Not sure what to recommend. My brother is about to own a 2014 Soul this weekend so I will fiddle with it and see if I have any answers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my 2011, It stays on the last track played. Even if i take the usb out and bring it in the house then put it back in it remembers where it left off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine starts where it left off?
How do you have your tracks arranged on the thumb drive? I think file type and structure have something to do it. If I remember right I have mine in MP3 format and grouped by artist, album and song but will need to check. One problem I did find is I loaded some albums of the drive from an Ipod and it duplicated some of the files, one is MP4 and the other MP3 so the songs repeat until i get around to cleaning it up.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have 1,366 songs that I "REALLY" like, using about 6GB's space...hehehe Lots of room for more...
They are arranged in file folders by Genre, so I can play separate folder types... BUT... The head units USB index's all the songs, and I like all the songs, so I always use Random play, because I like the Surprise, and Freshness of not knowing which of all my favorite songs will be played next... Random takes care of business for me...

Note: This Micro USB stays in (never taken out). Its perfect, small, and black. You hardly see its there...<:))

Micro 32GB
PNY Micro Bit Attache 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model P-FDI32GMCBTB-GE - Newegg.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine are in folders, some are by artist, and some are random mixes, since there was no "random play" feature on my Forte Koup or my Saturn Ion. The Kia dealership told me it wouldn't remember the track I was on, since keeping power to the USB would wear down the battery. Believable if I haven't been driving cars for a decade with factory installed USB ports that ALWAYS remembered my track!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
...The Kia dealership told me it wouldn't remember the track I was on, since keeping power to the USB would wear down the battery....
Some folks on here report some pretty silly things said by salesmen, but this has got to be one of the silliest not to mention one of the stupidest things I have heard. If a stick in a USB wears down batteries that badly, every computer in the country that has not been turned on in a week would be dead. The drain on the battery by the car's time keeping electronics is much more than the USB would draw.

What we need are some signs to give silly dealership personnel that says, "Hi, I said something stupid. Don't ask me anything, I am liable to repeat it to you." to wear around their necks. Good grief.

·
Registered
186 Posts
T_T i wish i could just get my soul to read the damn thing.... now my computer is fighting me. i think i know the reason... which if im right is super lame because i bought a drive thinking i could use it and now it looks as if i cant. bummer. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I always think it's funny that the last 3 cars I've got/helped when bought, I knew more about the car then the salesman.
Thanks to this forum, when I bought my 2014, the dealership insisted on giving me a tour of the car and as the poor fellow was going through his checklist I was pointing things out before he got to them. It wasn't fair, after all he had to know all the different cars and configurations on the lot. But I would rather hear, "I don't know about this or that but I can find out" then some BS story they make up. I have never understood what was so hard in the English language about saying, "I don't know...". It isn't hard to say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine leaves off where I left it. Are you pulling the flash drive out every time you turn off your car? I don't, so that may be doing it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

What USB stick are you using? I'm going to buy a few new ones. But it doesn't even remember that I chose "random" or "shuffle" - I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the head unit software itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 1,366 songs that I "REALLY" like, using about 6GB's space...hehehe Lots of room for more...
They are arranged in file folders by Genre, so I can play separate folder types... BUT... The head units USB index's all the songs, and I like all the songs, so I always use Random play, because I like the Surprise, and Freshness of not knowing which of all my favorite songs will be played next... Random takes care of business for me...

Note: This Micro USB stays in (never taken out). Its perfect, small, and black. You hardly see its there...<:))

Micro 32GB
PNY Micro Bit Attache 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model P-FDI32GMCBTB-GE - Newegg.com
I'm assuming this one remembers where you left off when you restart the car? I'm going to order it and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The Head Unit would do the remembering... BUT... I use mine in random mode all the time since I owned it, so it always starts with a new song... Mine remembers that its set for random. I never have to reset it.
Yes, you have some good Questions for your Dealer...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts