Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much usable fuel does the Kia Soul have? Yes, it comes with a 14.26 gallon capacity tank, but how much of that 14.26 is actually usable? Surely when one runs out of gas, there's still SOME fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much usable fuel does the Kia Soul have? Yes, it comes with a 14.26 gallon capacity tank, but how much of that 14.26 is actually usable? Surely when one runs out of gas, there's still SOME fuel in the tank.
I'm always waiting till I'm on fumes before I fill up because I don't go anywhere and am always next to a gas station. The most I've ever put in is 12.5 gallons and I always fill it till overflow, despite being told by every human being that I shouldn't do so. My excuse is that my car is always garaged and even when out, it is seldom in the sun for more than a few minutes to maybe a half hour.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The most I ever remember putting back in the tank was a little over 12 gallons. I stop at the first click of the nozzle. Fuelly says I've filled 13 gallons, but I don't remember it. I may have combined 2 smaller fills.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't like walking and I don't carry a gas can with me, so when I see the gas gauge getting down close to the 1/4 tank mark, I start looking for one of my favorite Filling Stations and I do a fill up.

Looking back over my records for the past year, (Excel Spreadsheet) it looks like the most fuel I've ever put in at one time is 9.46 US Gallons.

A few years back, in a different car, I actually ran out of gas, on the intestate, about 90 miles from home and five miles from the closest gas station.
I had to hitch-hike to the gas station, buy a gas can that was way over priced, then buy 2 gal's of gas and then hitch-hike back to my car, while my two passengers sat there waiting for me.
It was a beautiful day and people were very kind, to give me rides. But the whole experience took about an hour and was not an experience that I ever want to repeat.
So now, I keep my tank full as much as possible, especially if I'm going out of town.

Also, gas gauges are not absolutely, positively, 100% accurate.

Good Luck!

TM :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
It's never a good idea to run your tank really low because it increases the risk of picking up water from the bottom of the tank or other contamination. Also, fuel pumps use the fuel itself for cooling, so intermittently sucking air can cause possible overheating.

Plus the driver will get overheated if the car suddenly stops in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
It's never a good idea to run your tank really low because it increases the risk of picking up water from the bottom of the tank or other contamination. Also, fuel pumps use the fuel itself for cooling, so intermittently sucking air can cause possible overheating.

Plus the driver will get overheated if the car suddenly stops in the middle of nowhere.
from what I understand the fuel pump draws from the bottom of the tank all the time so this is never a problem, but your right about the rest :sneakiness:

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
the maximum I've ever put in on a fill up was 42.2L (48L rating - the 2014 is now 54L) and that was after the --- was on the range reading.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I almost always fill up when getting down to the 1/4-1/3 tank. Did have the 'gas' icon go on and took 12.5 gallons to fill 'er up.
Well, you still had a little cushion! Eh?

[Meaning no disrespect to anyone]

I have always felt that if the car has to tell me to "Get Fuel" then I, as the Owner/Operator, am not doing my job.

Running out of gas in a car with a working Fuel Gauge, is just dang fool carelessness. Eh mates?

:cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Last month, I ran mine (2013 Soul Base automatic) down to "20 Miles" on the Range indicator and the low fuel light was flashing. Pulled in to the station, found a level spot, and it clicked off at 11.5 gal. Would not take any more. This is probably my only gripe about the car. Love it, but wish it carried maybe 14-15 usable gal.

My last vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Venture minivan with a 25-gal tank. I got 26MPG driving to Wisconsin, so 500 miles was easy with still almost 1/4 tank showing.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Last month, I ran mine (2013 Soul Base automatic) down to "20 Miles" on the Range indicator and the low fuel light was flashing. Pulled in to the station, found a level spot, and it clicked off at 11.5 gal. Would not take any more. This is probably my only gripe about the car. Love it, but wish it carried maybe 14-15 usable gal.

My last vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Venture minivan with a 25-gal tank. I got 26MPG driving to Wisconsin, so 500 miles was easy with still almost 1/4 tank showing.
they increased it by 6L on the 2014 models, remember this is a small car you only have so much space for a fuel tank, so a large gas tank on a large vehicle is much more easy to install.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
they increased it by 6L on the 2014 models, remember this is a small car you only have so much space for a fuel tank, so a large gas tank on a large vehicle is much more easy to install.
And a lot harder to part with the money it takes to fill it up. :tongue-new:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Wouldn't you just hate, to be a trucker and have to reach in your pocket to fill up a 500 gallon tank, at today's prices????
It's enough to make a grown man cry!

And there's no reason for it either.. Diesel fuel is garbage, compared to auto fuel. I can remember when it was only $.17 per gallon.

So what has changed? Greed! That's all.

Diesel should still be selling for half the price of gasoline, instead of a dollar a gallon more.

But it's those greedy bas***** in Washington, who are up to their ears in Oil Stocks that keep the prices high.
They will all retire as millionaires, while we're lucky if we can retire at all.

:cool:

Reactions: Aimee

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
from what I understand the fuel pump draws from the bottom of the tank all the time so this is never a problem, but your right about the rest :sneakiness:
This is exactly right. Fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank anyway so sucking up debris is really a non-issue. However, the pump depends on gasoline to help keep it cool. The people I know that are always running out of gas - some of whom I'm related to, of course - are also constantly burning up fuel pumps and needing my help for repairs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just get in the habit of filling up when the red low fuel indicator (or, as my wife called it the first time she saw it "the little man with the rifle on his shoulder") comes on. And filling to the overflow is not a good idea as the raw gas can then be drawn into the evaporation canister, thus doing it damage (and your wallet also). Just fill till the nozzle clicks off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts