Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Naw....I think with xB.....easier ingress/egress, and lots of room for golf clubs, dogs or whatever. Not sure I'd wanna retire and deal with the fiddly, stuffy and pricey interiors of the BMWs, Benz, Porshe and Lexus interiors and configs.

Ford Mustang was designed for older people (big long doors for the same ingress/egress)...but look what happened THERE.

I'll likely NEVER retire.....It would drive me BANANAS, but I certainly want to ALWAYS drive something fun and up to anything I wanna throw at it, whether it be a couple dogs, some fence posts, couple cans of paint and a shovel....whatever. I always have my "Gallagher concert" tarps folded up somewhere ready for me to spread out over the flat cargo area if need be.

I think the "price" has some bearing on the demographic.....but I think the xB really started something with "intelligent" people buying cars that are extremely practical, but don't convey the Jeep or F150 image in being strictly utilitarian.

I have the "target" demographic to thank for all the cool STUFF we can do to these!

I even saw an Element BADGED as a "dog vehicle" a few weeks ago.....I have no dogs, but still was just giggling to see this thing with the dog fan in back....dog bed in back....dog "bone" design in the rubber floor (which I think you can HOSE out). This thing even had a WATER DISH...on some sort of gimble to keep it from spilling.

Now THAT'S a precise demographic!

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can hose down the whole interior of an element... its all neoprene

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
You can hose down the whole interior of an element... its all neoprene
I loved the interior of my Element! I would take it over the one in the Soul any day. You can't really hose it down due to the wiring and electronics in the floor, but you can get damn close. I would just wipe it out nose to tale with a damp old bath towel. Sweet!

·
Registered
332 Posts
i can see that my dad a 40+ year old bought himself a xB when it first came out and he loves that car!
Personally I think it's a case of the actual target market not being able to afford the cars when they're new. Look at the xB (previous 'cool' version - not the american fat wagon it turned into) now that they're 3-6 years old and being traded in.....I'm seeing more and more teen drivers in them. Which would mean they hit their preferred audience, just not in the way they intended. Now that they're at a lower used car market price the people that actually wanted them are getting them.

In reality the only cars that you're regularly going to see as NEW cars driven by young drivers are things like the Rio and the Versa. Stuff that's under 10k and easily affordable. Same reason I suspect you won't see but a handful of young drivers with Souls. It's not that they don't want them, it's just that someone in their first year of college typically doesn't have 17-19k to plunk down on a car.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I find it interesting how the Honda Element is put in the same category as the Soul, Cube, and xB, considering the only thing they have in common is the shape. But anyhow...

I can see how they would appeal to older people. I'm in Kia's "target demographic" for the Soul, but only reason why I could even afford a Soul is the Cash for Clunkers program. Other people my age don't have the money for a new car because of college or the fact that we're just entering the workforce. Although that's not stopping the car makers from still targeting their ideal demographic... Monday night on heroes a girl who was in college was driving a Cube.

Slightly off-topic, but I still don't see what the appeal of the first-gen xB is...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I sure hope I don't see lots of old farts/tarts start driving the SOUL. Thats why I gave up so quickly on getting a Scion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First off, thanks for posting this.

Secondly, I guess I don't care who buys the boxy cars, because I like 'em! (I'm 31)

They're stylish, uber practical, and fun. Plus which remember: Young kids don't usually have the money to buy a new car!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
As an old fart, I like the soul and the young kids like the others.Most other people I have seen are late 30's +.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I see a mix of ages driving the XBs , I have only seen 3 Souls , and they all were driven by women , 20s to 40s .
I guess I may be one of the younger buyers on the forum , I am 26 now , but I was 25 when I bought it .​

·
Registered
192 Posts
Younger people don't have to buy the car themselves - if they influence their parents. Most younger drivers - start driving one of the "family" cars. So the "target" group is more important in terms of driving the buying decision, than just in buying it themselves.

FWIW
Carl B.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll likely NEVER retire.....It would drive me BANANAS,
Gee... I'm always sorry to hear anyone say that.

Personally, I've always had so many and varied interests that I've wanted to pursue - working always took up way too much of my time. My goals were always two fold, first if I had to work I wanted to be sure my time was spent at something I enjoyed anyway; and second I worked to become financially solvent enough that my money would some day start working for me.

At age 55 I was Free At Last, Free At Last - thank God Al'mighty I was Free At Last. Today I'm so busy doing the things I want to do - I wonder how I ever had the time to work. The SOUL supports many of my activities today. Dog to the Dog Park, Headers to the JetHot Shop, Scub Gear to the boat, Golf Clubs to the Course, three other buddies to Hooters for Lunch, take the telescope out of the reach of City Lights, throw the Kayak on top and head up-river, carry all the camping gear to Sebring for the 12 Hours and camp in the in-field...{a long standing tradition}...

I have seen people who's entire lives were defined and consumed by work. I think the common saying today is "get a life". If work is the only thing that keeps one from going crazy - chances are good that one already is.

just my perspective... and reason for the utility of the SOUL....

Carl B.

·
Registered
17 Posts
59 here and the wife is 54. The style is right on this car and the price is right on this car. I really think you are going to end up seeing more older people driving these rather than younger people. Kind of the same thing that happened with the PT Cruiser, my other car, bought it when they first came out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tampa,FL

Hey, Hey:
Who are they calling an old folk? I am only 50 and don't consider myself an old fart... I feel like 25, except the days the pains and aches make me feel 75.LOL. Anyways very interesting.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
BTW:
I was waiting for the light to change the other day and across the street there was a cube (ugly) and to the left it was an Xb. We just stared at each other...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts