Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had a set of keys & fob stolen from my 2010 Kia Soul 2 and need to replace them as I am using the spare set at present.
Here in Australia a new set of key plus fob is excessively expensive and I can source a cheap used set from the USA & UK.

There is a slight difference in Part number which concerns me, so Im wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this..
My key fob has a part number on the back as follows.. 95430 - 2k150 The USA number is 95430 - 2k100

Im not sure if this difference relates to the frequency of the chip and as such wont work with my car?

Also the key I can source from the UK new and has the same metal bit, but the plastic bit looks different, it also has a chip inside...

Any help greatly apreciated...cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
that's was my question, if australian car have transponder key, you can't use used key because the transponder inside can be programed only 1 time. for the australian/north american difference, i don't know.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Dealers can usually re-program the fobs

that's was my question, if australian car have transponder key, you can't use used key because the transponder inside can be programed only 1 time. for the australian/north american difference, i don't know.

Ozigoo,
Can you show us a pic of your key fob to see what it actually looks like and to see if compatible with the fobs from this side of the pond?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill take a pic tomorrow, but it looks exactly the same as your fob, identical, ....exept for the different part number ie. 2k150 not 2k100

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Ok, no need for the pic then if it looks identical.
Why don't you talk to your dealership to see if there really is any difference.
I've seen them for as cheap as $25-$30 on ebay (programming not included). Your dealership probably wants $250 - $400 for one correct?

·
Registered
106 Posts
sorry marc but they can't. when you program it, the car computer learn the code from the transponder and the transponder learn the code of the computer. computer can be erased and reprogramed but not the transponder. that's why when you program a new key, you need to reprogram all the key from this car. it's good for all the brand of car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys , Yes the dealership wants $60 for the key another $50 to cut it to shape another $50 to program it another $181 for the fob..they said if I have the fob and key coded at the same time its only a flat $50 for the both...
I can get a key (with chip inside)from ebay UK for AU$26 posted, but the plastic bit looks different, the metal key bit looks the same, do you think it will be the same chip inside the key? At least if i buy the key and have it cut myself Ill probably save @ $60... The fob Im still not sure about, so I might just bite the bullet and cough up the extra ... Ive seen ebay US ones quote the transmitter code as being NYOSEKS-AM08TX and my key has SLKSEK-AMOPix....so with all these differences I dont like my chances....I may have a quick look in the UK...Thanks for the support....cheers

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Sorry dr-snale but YES they can. The dealership can program a third key fob for the Soul (as long as the key fob being purchased is compatible to the Actual Soul Fob.
If the key fob is new and has never been programed before, they can certainly program it to work with the Soul.

I asked a KIA Sales Manager (poster on the boards..Soul4U who also owns 2 Souls) and he said YES as long as they are compatible.
The dealership will charge you about 1 hour of labor to re-program it though.

Ozigoo, I would check with your dealership about what the frequency of the fob is set at, just to make sure.

sorry marc but they can't. when you program it, the car computer learn the code from the transponder and the transponder learn the code of the computer. computer can be erased and reprogramed but not the transponder. that's why when you program a new key, you need to reprogram all the key from this car. it's good for all the brand of car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think we misunderstood each other. of course the car can take more then 2 key, actualy i think the maximum is 4. what i mean is you can't buy a used key already program in a car and program it in another car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry dr-snale but YES they can. The dealership can program a third key fob for the Soul (as long as the key fob being purchased is compatible to the Actual Soul Fob.
If the key fob is new and has never been programed before, they can certainly program it to work with the Soul.

I asked a KIA Sales Manager (poster on the boards..Soul4U who also owns 2 Souls) and he said YES as long as they are compatible.
The dealership will charge you about 1 hour of labor to re-program it though.

Ozigoo, I would check with your dealership about what the frequency of the fob is set at, just to make sure.

i think we misunderstood each other. of course the dealer can program more fob and key in the car, i think the max. is 4. first, when i talk of transponder, i mean the coded chip inside the key that work as a starter kill. i suppose when you talk about fob, you talk about the remote itself. these are 2 different things. used remote can be reprogrammed in other car if compatible. transponder can be programmed in only 1 car because once it's programmed, it's locked. any person who tell you a transponder can be reprogrammed in a second car is a liar. i work in remote starter installation since 10 years now and i assure you no chipped key(transponder) can be programmed in more then 1 car.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
That is what the OP is talking about..the fob, not the transponder in the car. Actually, there is a transponder in the key fob as well. So yes, the key fob is what we are talking about here ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts