Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
While I haven't read quite all of that link, it seems to me that you just need to have 2 reflectors, as far apart as practical. What were you planning to replace the existing ones with? If your idea was to get rid of reflectors, that seems to me to be a bad idea. Me, I'm thinking about sticking more on, I'd like it if the entire rear end lit up when a light was shined on it.

In any case, it's state law that'll get you if anything does. The feds may regulate what can be sold, but not what can be driven.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
While I haven't read quite all of that link, it seems to me that you just need to have 2 reflectors, as far apart as practical. What were you planning to replace the existing ones with? If your idea was to get rid of reflectors, that seems to me to be a bad idea. Me, I'm thinking about sticking more on, I'd like it if the entire rear end lit up when a light was shined on it.

In any case, it's state law that'll get you if anything does. The feds may regulate what can be sold, but not what can be driven.
I was thinking about replacing them with some PAR 36 floodlights by SoundOff Signal for use as reverse lights and rear facing illumination for when I am out on patrol for the security company that I manage.

It was going to be a part of the lighting package that I'm going to be equipping soon but a friend of my installer told me that they were required by federal law as referenced in the original post.

https://www.soundoffsignal.com/products/par-36-500-work-lights/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not trying to rile anybody, but I'd bet dollars to donuts there isn't a traffic cop out there that would pull someone over for modifying those reflectors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not trying to rile anybody, but I'd bet dollars to donuts there isn't a traffic cop out there that would pull someone over for modifying those reflectors.
Your everyday police officer most likely wouldn't; however, if you live in a state with vehicle inspections they wouldn't pass the vehicle. Also, if you were to get into an accident it COULD be used against you, even if the other driver is at fault.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
How about if you add reflectors to replace the ones you remove? (Or maybe even just use tape... the fed text does talk about tape.) It doesn't have to be OEM gear, so long as you have reflectors. Of course, it might be difficult to do in a way that you thought looked good. Me, I lost my couth decades ago, and have had vehicles in the past where parts were held on with pipe strap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe the take away from this should be:

1. Do not replace the reflectors with something that is not:
A. Reflective
B. RED.

I suspect that as long as the reflective properties are not changed and they are still a red lens you should be OK. I'm no expert on automotive rules and regulations but I've always gone with the idea that if the OEM put it on the car it needs to remain there, at least from the outside lighting and marking perspective. I don't see why turning them into an additional brake/turn signal would violate this law, In fact it would be making the car more noticible:

S2.Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce traffic accidents and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic accidents, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,802 Posts
How about if you add reflectors to replace the ones you remove? (Or maybe even just use tape... the fed text does talk about tape.) It doesn't have to be OEM gear, so long as you have reflectors. Of course, it might be difficult to do in a way that you thought looked good. Me, I lost my couth decades ago, and have had vehicles in the past where parts were held on with pipe strap.
Wait, you had those fancy pipe straps? My dad used coat hangers & in a pinch, bread twisties. Keeping those Ramblers & Mavericks running took a good imagination :)

Reactions: sube
1 - 8 of 8 Posts