Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a little over 1000 miles on my SOUL+. I have to report that the suspension is simply not up to the overall goodness of the car. This is something that needs Kia's attention, and the sooner the better.

Most of my driving has been here in Florida, on relatively smooth streets, highways and freeways. Even minor "bumps" in the road result in a very harsh thunk from the suspension and shock clear into the drivers seat. My now 38 year old Datsun 510 Station Wagon has a far superior suspension set up.

A relatively firm suspension is fine with me - but one that thunks and clunks over minor bumps in the road just isn't acceptable -

I'd still buy the car - but I'd expect another $1000.00 to come off the deal - so I could retro fit some reasonable spring rates and matching shocks. A car with this wheelbase, weight and possible suspension travel should be FAR Better than it presently is.

Does your xB ride like this?? If it does, I can't imagine how Toyota ever sold 50,000+ per year. Chryslers PT was far better than this...

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
261 Posts
WOW, another 510 owner. you know there is another 510 owner and myself on this site. thats awesome. I do have to ask, is the 510 susp stock? Im not sure I have seen many 510's with stock susp.

If your 510 doesn't have stock suspension, Its really not fair to compare the two. All of my 510's have had worked suspension, and I cant imagine the Soul even with aftermarket suspension could/would handle as well as a 510.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree, it is a more rigid ride and the potholes do cause a fair amount of turbulence. I have about 250 miles on mine, and was sort of hoping the suspension would "break in" after around 1k. There goes that idea...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's a small car. It won't ride like a 4 door full sized cadillac.

Low profile tires also make the bumps bigger than they are. If you're that mad about the jarring and bumping, just get some smaller rims with normal tires. It should take care of your problem instantly... or most of it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,001 Posts
I have no complaint over the ride. To me it rides better than the 03 PT I had.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Rides a lot better than my '94 Rodeo, that's for sure. Although it is a little rough going over railroad tracks.

Honestly though, you can't expect the suspension to feel like you're floating... it's a sub-20k car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On the door panel it says my tire pressure should be at 33psi. I just checked it and they were at 42psi. Once I let the air out and started riding at 33psi, the ride quality drastically improved. You might wanna check your tires.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Well then you may not like how my car rides as you can really feel the road.

With 18" rims and Eibach lowering kit on it a small bump feels like a big bump. However handles like a dream now, and can turn on a dime.

Cheers,

SOUL4U

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have no problem with mine and I have the 18s .... and as I have said before , this is my first small vehicle , and for its size .... I think it rides great ... for what it is ... I did'nt expect it to be this good .

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I read somewhere Kia has the tyres overinflated to account for loss during shipping time.

My Molten settled down QUITE a bit when I brought these back down to 32 from around 40psi.

Soul Sport rides like a CADILLAC compared to the '07 Honda Fit.....and Honda Fit's wheel and wind noise can't even come CLOSE to the quiet Soul Sport. Of course the tight suspension and low profile rubber WILL transmit some shake. I've not ONCE felt that Soul's suspension was non-compliant.

And in Honda Fit's corner, the ride is positively FUN, but in a sort of "toss around for a few hours" sort of way. I've grown to not like it at all for commuting.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello From Florida

same here , i have no complaints i think it rides and handles great and i came out of a 2007 chevy Z-71 crew cab siliverado , there is no comparison , it is what it is and alot of bang for the buck :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Carl B!

I mentioned this very subject to Saffron after we got the car and drove it back up from L.A.
On smooth roads, it's very nice but, hit a bump and it loses composure. If you hit a bump on a curve then you really see and feel the suspensions shortcomings. We have the + with the 16's and they are at spec, 33psi. I've mentioned and, even asked other forum users how their exclaims and sports rode on the 18's and they say "fine". I think it's a conciliatory "fine".
My feeling is that it is the spring rate. It does not seem to be a progressive rate as there is no progression. To me, it just seems plain stiff. If it's linear, then the linearity of the spring amounts to about 3/4" resilience.

About the xb. Carl, I have 2008. I've installed the factory TRD front strut brace, rear sway bar and lowered springs. Here's the truth: It's too soft. It's softer than the stock springs, no kidding. But, the ride is plush. Saffron likes it and so do I. Trouble is, when I want to play joe autocross, on Hwy-17 to Santa Cruz, there are some dips that rub my front tires, but only in a turn and, It does not lose composure. In all fairness though, I went from the stock 205/55-16 to a 235/40-18 so therein lies the problem. BTW, the springs are progressive. I will mention that on Saffrons last car, I installed H&R springs which, are made in Germany. They are excellent! Don't know if they make them for the soul yet. We know Eibach makes set now. I wonder if Tein or Tanabe will make a set.
BUT, once again, anything other than Kia factory partswill undoubtly void the warranty. *sigh*

Please see the attached gratuitious pics of Sicbox below...;):D

I now have a little over 1000 miles on my SOUL+. I have to report that the suspension is simply not up to the overall goodness of the car. This is something that needs Kia's attention, and the sooner the better.

Most of my driving has been here in Florida, on relatively smooth streets, highways and freeways. Even minor "bumps" in the road result in a very harsh thunk from the suspension and shock clear into the drivers seat. My now 38 year old Datsun 510 Station Wagon has a far superior suspension set up.

A relatively firm suspension is fine with me - but one that thunks and clunks over minor bumps in the road just isn't acceptable -

I'd still buy the car - but I'd expect another $1000.00 to come off the deal - so I could retro fit some reasonable spring rates and matching shocks. A car with this wheelbase, weight and possible suspension travel should be FAR Better than it presently is.

Does your xB ride like this?? If it does, I can't imagine how Toyota ever sold 50,000+ per year. Chryslers PT was far better than this...

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW, another 510 owner. you know there is another 510 owner and myself on this site. thats awesome. I do have to ask, is the 510 susp stock? Im not sure I have seen many 510's with stock susp.
Hi Mightyjohn:
My 72 510 Wagon is "pure stock" - 13" tires and all. It now has about 305,000 miles on the original L16 and drivetrain. I actually sold Datsun's back in 72/73 and raced and rallied 510's and Z's. To this day it is still one of the best cars the U.S. has ever seen.

Have you seen Peter Brock's latest 510? Wow..
http://BRE2.net

regards,
Carl B.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mentioned this very subject to Saffron after we got the car and drove it back up from L.A.
On smooth roads, it's very nice but, hit a bump and it loses composure. If you hit a bump on a curve then you really see and feel the suspensions shortcomings. We have the + with the 16's and they are at spec, 33psi. I've mentioned and, even asked other forum users how their exclaims and sports rode on the 18's and they say "fine". I think it's a conciliatory "fine".
My feeling is that it is the spring rate. It does not seem to be a progressive rate as there is no progression. To me, it just seems plain stiff. If it's linear, then the linearity of the spring amounts to about 3/4" resilience.

About the xb. Carl, I have 2008. I've installed the factory TRD front strut brace, rear sway bar and lowered springs. Here's the truth: It's too soft. It's softer than the stock springs, no kidding. But, the ride is plush. Saffron likes it and so do I. Trouble is, when I want to play joe autocross, on Hwy-17 to Santa Cruz, there are some dips that rub my front tires, but only in a turn and, It does not lose composure. In all fairness though, I went from the stock 205/55-16 to a 235/40-18 so therein lies the problem. BTW, the springs are progressive. I will mention that on Saffrons last car, I installed H&R springs which, are made in Germany. They are excellent! Don't know if they make them for the soul yet. We know Eibach makes set now. I wonder if Tein or Tanabe will make a set.
BUT, once again, anything other than Kia factory partswill undoubtly void the warranty. *sigh*

Please see the attached gratuitious pics of Sicbox below...;):D
Hi Saffron:
Yes - you seem to understand exactly what I'm talking about. "hit a bump and it loses composure" is a nice way of putting it.

Just so I'm not misunderstood by others - I've been driving, racing and rallying cars in the sub-3000 lb class for the past 40 years. Most of them inexpensive when new, unit-body construction and 90 to 100 inch wheel bases. Stock, Street Prepared or full out Pro Rally prep'd - So I don't expect the SOUL to ride like a Caddy. It isn't a matter of "ride quality" putt'ing around town or driving down the highway - its a matter of suspension compliance in jounce and rebound when even a small bump is traversed. It makes an otherwise great little car - expose it's worse flaw.

I think Kia having to hire Lotus to redesign the suspension for the U.K. should tell us something about them being fully aware of it too.

Once I find out what the stock spring rate is - I'll most likely start looking to the after-market for better a better matched set of springs and shocks. The combination in the the SOUL do not seem to be at all well matched to begin with. Should be easy to at least find shocks capable of keeping it from bottoming out in such a harsh manor.

Thanks for the info on the Scibox - I could even live with a suspension that was too soft - the SOUL is actually for my Daughter - and she won't be racing it around for the first few years. I just don't want to shake the car apart before the warranty runs out.

regards,
Carl B.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree that the suspension on Soul could be better a bit more compliant, but not by much. It would suffer if it was too much softer.

The suspension in soul responds well to most situations. It always regains composure in less than three undulations. This is really good!!! What I mean is that the struts/springs combination catches the sprung weight of the vehicle really well without resonating after going over bumps, dips and woops.

I have yet to get Soul on three wheels:cool:

The problem with hitting bumps while in a curve or corner is that the over boosted power steering gets thrown off by the sudden geometry change of the suspension. That is why the steering wheel feels funny/limpy when this happens. One of the reasons I don't like power steering.

I believe that those who have complaint have been driving cars with soft suspension or old and worn out suspension.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe that those who have complaint have been driving cars with soft suspension or old and worn out suspension.
I was thinking the same thing. Compared to my Intrepid the soul is brutal going over bumps, but compared to my civic coupe this thing rides like a caddy. My soul's ride comfort is right in between my two other cars.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts