Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had my CRDi Soul serviced at 12,500 miles. Total cost including VAT was £184.08. Seems quite high for an oil & air filter change. Labour was £73.70+VAT for 1.1 hrs. Oil was £49.03+VAT. Even charged me £4.65+VAT for measuring the depth of the tyre tread! Not noticed this charge until I got home :mad:
They did wash it though. It looks like it went through a machine as it washed that well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unfortunately, I've discovered that (at least in the US) dealers will try to tack on extras with every regular service.

I know with our Prius, when we take it in for regular service, we specify that they only do the work "by the book", rather than what they publish as their typical 7,500 mile service job. Saves at least $50-100. If they question me, I pull out the owner's manual that specifies the service at each interval, and let them know that I won't pay for anything else without prior approval.

Good luck! Shame to hear that the rest of the world has gotten as greedy. Guess not surprising.

Haven't taken a Soul in yet, so we'll see if I have the same issues.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oil change for me costs about $15 to do, using OEM filters and synthetic oil. An air filter is what, about $20 tops? I just replaced the one on my Sorento yesterday and that cost $13.

I hate getting charged for crap like that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know what impact this has on the 7 year warranty by not using KIA franchises to do the servicing? I was under the impression that as long as you used KIA parts, and have receipts to prove it you can use any garage, as long as they are VAT registered.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
No idea how it works in Europe, but in the US, you just have to prove the work has been done, even at home. Reciepts help, but you don't need them, a Log Book will often do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never had a diesel serviced, and my new Soul is petrol, but my last Honda HRV and current Jazz cost more than £400 to service, so I am looking forward to paying £180.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Samba Diesel is up for a service in March and I rang a few dealers as I am in a lucky position there are 4 Kia dealerships within 8 miles of my house.

The first one said the service would be £177.00.

The Second said that they hadn't serviced any and had only just got the service sheets that day and they were sure of the exact cost but estimated that is would be around £160-£170.

The third and fourth never bothered to call me back.

I will try again and let you know of my findings and exactly how much my pocket was dented by! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just had my CRDi Soul serviced at 12,500 miles. Total cost including VAT was £184.08. Seems quite high for an oil & air filter change. Labour was £73.70+VAT for 1.1 hrs. Oil was £49.03+VAT. Even charged me £4.65+VAT for measuring the depth of the tyre tread! Not noticed this charge until I got home :mad:
They did wash it though. It looks like it went through a machine as it washed that well.
Thanks for letting us know, Matt. Mine's not due until September, but they said it would be around £200 so under that would be good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took out a 7 year service package when I picked up the car from the dealer, it works out about £17 a month, and sets the services at about £170 each for the next 7 years.

Tony

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I took out a 7 year service package when I picked up the car from the dealer, it works out about £17 a month, and sets the services at about £170 each for the next 7 years.

Tony
Hi TT,

I nearly did that too...... but somebody then pointed out to me that if i got crap service and hated the dealer - would i be tied to them for a while.

Since then i am doing lots more miles in the car than i expected, so would have had to review the payment anyway. Do you have lots of dealer choice near you?.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Tony
if you pay 12 payments a year it works out at £204 and IMO that is expensive seeing you are tied into them and are in reality paying up front
or is there something i am not seeing here?

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you pay 12 payments a year it works out at £204 and IMO that is expensive seeing you are tied into them and are in reality paying up front
or is there something i am not seeing here?
The payment is not for the full 7 years, I think they finish at 70 months, I believe they calculate it to 10 months per year, you choose the number of years, I went with 7 so it matched the warranty and if I dont like the servicing I am not tied into a contract, so can stop at any time, but my parents have had their car serviced by the local Kia dealer for years, and not just when they had a Kia car, and they are very happy with the customer service.
My Micra's service at Nissan was about £320, so £170 is good value as far as most main dealers charge, and yes I am paying up front, but how much will a service be next June, my cars 1st, and how much by 2017, I know mine will be £170, as the price is fixed to June 2009 prices.

Tony

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
speading the cost does make sense and makes it more manageable....and would probably encourage me not to put the servicing off and have it done on time....thats what appealed to me about it......but i heard good and bad reports on the Dealer.......having said that, i am quite impressed with the Dealer up to now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The payment is not for the full 7 years, I think they finish at 70 months, I believe they calculate it to 10 months per year, you choose the number of years, I went with 7 so it matched the warranty and if I dont like the servicing I am not tied into a contract, so can stop at any time, but my parents have had their car serviced by the local Kia dealer for years, and not just when they had a Kia car, and they are very happy with the customer service.
My Micra's service at Nissan was about £320, so £170 is good value as far as most main dealers charge, and yes I am paying up front, but how much will a service be next June, my cars 1st, and how much by 2017, I know mine will be £170, as the price is fixed to June 2009 prices.

Tony
ah well when you explain it does seem very good:D
as for the Nissan Micra at £320 WOW:eek:
i just had my 2ltr diesel X-Trail serviced and it was £200 so im sure it depends on the Dealership and if you have faith in them
we bought a 3 month old ex demo model and were not offered the servicing so will ask about that if the price is definately fixed :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
ah well when you explain it does seem very good:D
as for the Nissan Micra at £320 WOW:eek:
i just had my 2ltr diesel X-Trail serviced and it was £200 so im sure it depends on the Dealership and if you have faith in them
we bought a 3 month old ex demo model and were not offered the servicing so will ask about that if the price is definately fixed :D
When I had the Micra serviced the first time, it was around the £200, 2nd time it was about £230, then the dealer changed hands, and all servicing went sky high, you did get door to door service, ie they picked the car up and dropped it back, and it was fully valeted, but needless to say, at the end of the day I could have had a BMW done cheaper, so took it local for half the price and done properly. Business must be good, the Nissan dealer is now offering all makes at £99, how the mighty have fallen.

Tony

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.