Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I remember that time, just like it was yesterday. Bridgestone/Firestone told Ford that the tire pressure they were recommending for that vehicle was not high enough to be safe, but Ford just ignored them.

I see the recommended tire pressure is 33 psi for all sorts for vehicles today, and no two vehicles are exactly alike, so how can they all use 33 psi, and all be correct (be Safe and perform correctly).

When I bought my last two cars, (KIA Souls) they both came with tire pressures in the 40 psi range. Both Souls handled GREAT!
That works great, for my own style of driving.
Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
108 Posts
I remember that time, just like it was yesterday. Bridgestone/Firestone told Ford that the tire pressure they were recommending for that vehicle was not high enough to be safe, but Ford just ignored them.

I see the recommended tire pressure is 33 psi for all sorts for vehicles today, and no two vehicles are exactly alike, so how can they all use 33 psi, and all be correct (be Safe and perform correctly).

When I bought my last two cars, (KIA Souls) they both came with tire pressures in the 40 psi range. Both Souls handled GREAT!
That works great, for my own style of driving.
Cheers Mate!
Where do you see on your tires to start out @42 psi?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
What do you mean, "where do you see"? Do I HAVE to see it somewhere?
When I first got my car, the tires (all four of them) were at about 42psi. I just left them there.
But over the past 60+ years of driving, bikes, cars, trucks, 4x4's etc., I've learned that the tire pressure suggested by the vehicle manufacturer is just too low, for good MPG and performance.
But you just do as you please. Eh? After all, it's Your car, Your MPG and Your performance.

Have fun!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where do you see on your tires to start out @42 psi?
Many (most?) cars ship from the manufacturer with overinflated tires. It is done to help prevent flat spotting the tires when parked for an extended time during transport. Especially when strapped down on a ship/train/truck, the tension on the straps significantly increases the static load on the tires. When a new car is delivered to a dealer, setting the tires to the proper inflation is supposed to be part of the "pre-delivery check".

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
108 Posts
Many (most?) cars ship from the manufacturer with overinflated tires. It is done to help prevent flat spotting the tires when parked for an extended time during transport. Especially when strapped down on a ship/train/truck, the tension on the straps significantly increases the static load on the tires. When a new car is delivered to a dealer, setting the tires to the proper inflation is supposed to be part of the "pre-delivery check".
Yes, but you don't drive around with your tires inflated to 42 psi do you?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, but you don't drive around with your tires inflated to 42 psi do you?
No, I inflate mine to 36 or a little less.
It keeps the TPMS lights off under most temperature conditions and is still close to door post recommendations. A compromise between handling, even tire wear and fuel economy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I THINK it’s about 24 psi.

·
Registered
830 Posts
So low enough that a visual inspection would tip you off......What a waste of technology, money and ongoing maint of the system!
Actually, mine tripped in the high 20s. Can't remember the exact pressure, but I was surprised and visually the tire looked fine.

On the other hand, we picked up nail in the right rear a few weeks ago and the tire was totally flat, but my wife drove out of the neighborhood ignoring the light! She though the car felt funny got out and realized she had driven three blocks on a totally flat tire. I said didn't you see the tire warning on the dash? She says no, I didn't notice that! Didn't matter, nail was in sidewall so tire was trash anyway.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
Actually, mine tripped in the high 20s. Can't remember the exact pressure, but I was surprised and visually the tire looked fine.

On the other hand, we picked up nail in the right rear a few weeks ago and the tire was totally flat, but my wife drove out of the neighborhood ignoring the light! She though the car felt funny got out and realized she had driven three blocks on a totally flat tire. I said didn't you see the tire warning on the dash? She says no, I didn't notice that! Didn't matter, nail was in sidewall so tire was trash anyway.

I feel your pain!
Funny thing about gauges and warning lights is they can't help if you don't ever look at them. 😏
I'm always asking my wife when she's driving to check the gauges, especially the temperature gauge which most people get complacent with, but could be the first indicator of a problem. I've heard stories of some people even covering up a CEL or TPMS light with a piece of black tape—I guess ignorance is bliss for some. 😵

·
Registered
339 Posts

I had no Idea my wife had a sister

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Sister? She must have been one of a litter!
My own experience with the ladies, is that they don't like gauges and warning lights.
Those are strictly "Guy" things.
Car salesmen NEVER point out the lights and gauges to lady buyers. They only point out the comfort and convenience options. Nothing new....it's been like that, like forever. Eh?

So, we guys have to take charge of things like "Maintenance", etc.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts