Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a puncture recently and the warning light came on and alerted me to it. Had a new tyre fitted and on driving away from the fitters I saw that the light was still on. It then disappeared but returned three weeks later. I have since discovered that I should have taken the car to a Kia dealership to have the thing reset. Is this a job that any competent garage can carry out? Also the ESC light has started to show although the car drives perfectly. Is this a bye product of the Inflation Light still being on?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your light should not need to b reset by the dealer. Did you check your tire pressure? Did they possibly damage the sensor? It is odd that it worked for 3 weeks

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yup, the TPMS sensor needs a mile or two to reset itself.
John, may I suggest that you get yourself a Tire Pressure Gauge.

I have two, one for the car and one for the shop. Don't let the brand name throw you...they are good quality gauges. The psi listed on the door post is really too low for this car, to get the best performance and MPG. These OEM tires also loose pressure over time. So check your tire pressure often. I start out at 42 psi (all tires) and in just a few months, they will all be down to 35psi.
If the tire shop had to remove your tire from its wheel, to fix it, it's possible that the bead did not seat properly. They may need to remove the tire again, clean the bead and reseat the tire on the rim. Over the years, I've had that happen several times. No biggie!

Good Luck,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Check the tire pressure on all four tires. I keep mine at 36. Door post inflation recommendation is too low.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Check the tire pressure on all four tires. I keep mine at 36. Door post inflation recommendation is too low.
Never trust the engineers I guess? Depending on atmospheric temp and rise in tire temp from driving..you could end up in mid to high 40s..... Seems pretty high

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all the tyres and all were 32/33psi so in keeping with the recommended pressures. I have a tyre gauge but it's hard to know which ones are the most accurate. I could throw good money after bad if they're no better than what I have. I'll increase the pressure and see what happens but will it not increase tyre wear? Does it really improve the MPG? Thanks for your answers. I'll go back to the tyre fitter and see if he can reset the tyre.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My brother-in-law’s father was an independent tire engineer and advised Michelin, Goodyear and Firestone, especially in Lawsuits, until he retired in the mid 2000s. He recommended inflating tires no more than 10% over the manufacturer’s highest door-post rating. This will not cause excessive tread wear and increase mileage about 10%. More than that will cause uneven tread wear and shorten tread and therefore tire life.

Reactions: John I

·
Registered
641 Posts
Never trust the engineers I guess? Depending on atmospheric temp and rise in tire temp from driving..you could end up in mid to high 40s..... Seems pretty high
Tires also have pressure recommendations. Mine say 44 PSI Max. That means 44 PSI cold. Tire manufacturers have engineers too.
Also, my dealership service dept. suggested 36 PSI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My brother-in-law’s father was an independent tire engineer and advised Michelin, Goodyear and Firestone, especially in Lawsuits, until he retired in the mid 2000s. He recommended inflating tires no more than 10% over the manufacturer’s highest door-post rating. This will not cause excessive tread wear and increase mileage about 10%. More than that will cause uneven tread wear and shorten tread and therefore tire life.
I shall give that a try. Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
85 Posts
Yup, the TPMS sensor needs a mile or two to reset itself.
John, may I suggest that you get yourself a Tire Pressure Gauge.
View attachment 134947
I have two, one for the car and one for the shop. Don't let the brand name throw you...they are good quality gauges. The psi listed on the door post is really too low for this car, to get the best performance and MPG. These OEM tires also loose pressure over time. So check your tire pressure often. I start out at 42 psi (all tires) and in just a few months, they will all be down to 35psi.
If the tire shop had to remove your tire from its wheel, to fix it, it's possible that the bead did not seat properly. They may need to remove the tire again, clean the bead and reseat the tire on the rim. Over the years, I've had that happen several times. No biggie!

Good Luck,
I have a designer ex and the sticker on the side says 33 psi front and rear. Where do you get 42 psi from?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires also have pressure recommendations. Mine say 44 PSI Max. That means 44 PSI cold. Tire manufacturers have engineers too.
36 is just about 10% above recommendation and ties in with the other reply. Thanks again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do not inflate your tires to the pressure listed on the tire itself. That number is the maximum pressure the tire can hold, not the recommended pressure for the vehicle

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do not inflate your tires to the pressure listed on the tire itself. That number is the maximum pressure the tire can hold, not the recommended pressure for the vehicle
36 PSI is not Max. Read my comments.
"Check the tire pressure on all four tires. I keep mine at 36. Door post inflation recommendation is too low."
"Tires also have pressure recommendations. Mine say 44 PSI Max. That means 44 PSI cold. Tire manufacturers have engineers too.
Also, my dealership service dept. suggested 36 PSI."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that. I was aware of that situation anyway.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have a designer ex and the sticker on the side says 33 psi front and rear. Where do you get 42 psi from?
OH, nothing new, about 50+ years of experience with tires, inflation rates, performance, etc.
Like forever, I've always been all about 'Performance', and you can't get performance with soft squishy tires. Granny would love it, but I don't. ;) *
NO, they don't wear weird! And my dealer rotates my OEM tires every 6k miles.
I'm pushing 15k on the original tires and they still look GOOD.
I'd like to have some (new) tires with a more aggressive tread pattern, and maybe even one size wider. I actually LIVE off road, and having all the traction I can get is important to me.
But, it will be a while.

* If you go to the MPG forum, you'll find High Milers that run their tires at 75 psi, or greater.
The tires don't explode, and they get fabulous MPG.

Out here where I live, in the sand dunes of Central FL, there are places I'd like to go, but I don't, just for fear of getting stuck. So far in 16 months, I've not got stuck yet, but I have pulled out a car or two that did get stuck. I'd like to just keep it like that.
Right now, all I can do to increase traction is to drop the front tire pressure down to ~20 psi. The tires widen out and then pull like tractor tires. And the 2.0L engine and IVT has plenty of Torque to handle the greater traction, where the rubber meets the road. I just put the IVT controller in 1st Gear, lock out the Anti-Spin control, and away we go! Fun in the sun!

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool: ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your input here. I went back to the tyre dealer and he checked all the tyres for pressures and jacked them up to 36psi. The warning light immediately disappeared and hasn't shown since, so in future I'll run them at that level. The traction light is still on but there's no adverse reaction from the car so I'll get the sensor checked. Again, thanks for your help. Oh, one other thing, under the driver's seat there's a box that I understand is something to do with the Infotainment Centre (who thought that one up?) It looks as though it should have a cover but the handbook shows no info at all. It's easy to catch with your foot so what's the story here?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Has everyone forgotten the problem that FORD had with recommending tire pressure that was lower than what Firestone/Brigestone said was proper? Because of the lower tire pressure, several of the Ford vehicles (I've forgotten exactly which Ford vehicle that was) rolled over and people were killed.
Of course, Ford blamed the tires themselves, and took no blame for the deaths.
Ford's hard headedness, cost Bridgestone a fortune. Many sources are still blaming Bridgestone, for the problem. I don't!

I take exception to those who claim that with just a bit more air in the tires that they will wear faster in the center than on the sides. Mine do not! Maybe at 75 psi, but NOT at even 42 psi.
And when I run my (front) tires at LOW pressure, to get better traction, it's only for a short time and at very Low Speeds. (usually around 5 to 10 mph)

The dealer, mentioned above, who set those tires at 36 psi, knew what they were doing. My own dealer will also do that. But, that pressure will decrease with time and use, and will need to be trimmed up periodically.
The TPMS system, which you can monitor any time you want, will let you know the exact pressure in all four tires, and can be used instead of a tire gauge, for you to monitor your own tires. I look at the TPMS readout on my car, every few days. If one tire seems to be loosing pressure more than the other three, I'll check it with my Tire Pressure Gauge, just to make sure it's not an error in the TPMS system, and add air if needed.
Our tires are Important, and maintaining good PSI is also Important.
My KIA Dealer maintains the tires on my car, so if I have a problem with one, I can call them for an appointment to get the problem solved.
One day, while they were doing my first tire rotation, (at 6k miles) they discovered something stuck in the sidewall of one tire. They replaced that tire with a new one.

Happy Trails, Mates!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has everyone forgotten the problem that FORD had with recommending tire pressure that was lower than what Firestone/Brigestone said was proper? Because of the lower tire pressure, several of the Ford vehicles (I've forgotten exactly which Ford vehicle that was) rolled over and people were killed.
Of course, Ford blamed the tires themselves, and took no blame for the deaths.
Ford's hard headedness, cost Bridgestone a fortune. Many sources are still blaming Bridgestone, for the problem. I don't!

I take exception to those who claim that with just a bit more air in the tires that they will wear faster in the center than on the sides. Mine do not! Maybe at 75 psi, but NOT at even 42 psi.
And when I run my (front) tires at LOW pressure, to get better traction, it's only for a short time and at very Low Speeds. (usually around 5 to 10 mph)

The dealer, mentioned above, who set those tires at 36 psi, knew what they were doing. My own dealer will also do that. But, that pressure will decrease with time and use, and will need to be trimmed up periodically.
The TPMS system, which you can monitor any time you want, will let you know the exact pressure in all four tires, and can be used instead of a tire gauge, for you to monitor your own tires. I look at the TPMS readout on my car, every few days. If one tire seems to be loosing pressure more than the other three, I'll check it with my Tire Pressure Gauge, just to make sure it's not an error in the TPMS system, and add air if needed.
Our tires are Important, and maintaining good PSI is also Important.
My KIA Dealer maintains the tires on my car, so if I have a problem with one, I can call them for an appointment to get the problem solved.
One day, while they were doing my first tire rotation, (at 6k miles) they discovered something stuck in the sidewall of one tire. They replaced that tire with a new one.

Happy Trails, Mates!
Not me, I had a new explorer at the time. They swapped out my Firestone's for Michelin ......I was sorry I let them swap the tires.....the Michelin's sucked in the winter

1 - 20 of 34 Posts