Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, friends, my MPG meter and the actual, 3rd grade arithmetic calculations of miles divided by gallons came out the same TWO TANKS IN A ROW!! Well, the last one real MPG was actually .1 gallon more. This has never happened in all my Souls' history.

Something altered the formula. Fuelly has been fairly consistent.

I added Techron fuel injector cleaner to those two tanks. I just filled up, and instead of the usual 28-ish I'm showing 30-31+ on the meter. I haven't added FI cleaner to this tank, still mulling it over.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
OK Neanderthal, your know what this means? You are in the ZONE and should buy a few lottery tickets and keep this numeric luck going!!

Mine is still about 2 mpg on the exuberant side.

When you think of all the factors that truly go into that mpg display, it's amazing you're hitting it right on. Good job!

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
479 Posts
Without verifying through Kia directly, I'm pretty sure that the dash counter is calculating every tenth of a mile as distance vs fuel sprayed and then averaging up THOSE individual mileage calculations throughout the life of the tank, versus you doing it all at the end as gasoline added vs miles driven. If you do the math every tenth it'll come out differently vs running the math all at the end, but both would be correct. If you drove mostly highway on a tank with less variation, then your calculated economy at tank fill will be closer to the dash readout since you spent more time at constant throttle, meaning the sum of all the tenths was more representative of your driving vs a bunch of city time with the fun pedal going all over the place.

Just my experience anyway, and a guess on how the math is done. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Doing it all at the end should give the best result. Summing thousands of calculations is likely to produce errors as I'm sure there is some variation among injectors and what the ECU thought was injected.

Variations calculating at fill time will occur because the the sensitivity of pumps will vary, but my guess is it's still the most accurate.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
I found the "Shaggy-Method" works best for me. It's highly scientific and almost always on the mark.

Subtract 2 from the computer ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Doing it all at the end should give the best result. Summing thousands of calculations is likely to produce errors as I'm sure there is some variation among injectors and what the ECU thought was injected.

Variations calculating at fill time will occur because the the sensitivity of pumps will vary, but my guess is it's still the most accurate.

I try to fill up at the same pump every time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2015 Soul ! trip computer was within a few tenths of being accurate every fill up for 13,000 miles.

My 2017 is off by 1-2 so far.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Some of my motorcycle friends do the same, but I still wonder if the pump tank level, atmospheric changes and human precision come into play

They do, as well as other factors, but you do the best you can. :( You can always wire in something like an MPGuino that counts your injector cycles and times if you want an even more accurate number.

·
Registered
842 Posts
... You can always wire in something like an MPGuino that counts your injector cycles and times if you want an even more accurate number.
My guess is that the ECU does that to calculate mileage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My guess is that the ECU does that to calculate mileage.

For sure, but it only counts that one way. MPGuino is an aftermarket device that lets you set up tracking in quite a few different methods- worth a look if you're really wanting to deep dive into that data... but not me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
For sure, but it only counts that one way. MPGuino is an aftermarket device that lets you set up tracking in quite a few different methods- worth a look if you're really wanting to deep dive into that data... but not me.
Not for me either. If I'm within one or two mpg, that's close enough.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Following up on this...those two tanks were an anomaly. The tank after them was off by about 3.5 MPG, the last tank was .5 off. But no more 30 MPG tanks.

Oh vell. I guess the Miracle Cure of FI cleaner wore off.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine just tells me "sweet little lies", I'm ok with that. Knowing how Dealers respond to mileage complaints, I'm just a happy guy. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I recently took a long trip up to the mountains and was getting 34 MPG per my dashboard. When I got gas and filled the tank I had actually gotten 31 MPG.

·
Registered
544 Posts
calculated economy
Thats seems fairly close, I will add there is also an idle time deduction logic involved. When I first fill up I can watch the counter go down at stop lights.
Oh well. I guess the Miracle Cure of FI cleaner wore off.
I got about two MPG gain on the dash and 4 MPG gain on the receipt my first Techron tank, almost a match. The next tank fell about 2 on both, again a match. Then I ran a second Techron tank and the dash went up 1 and the receipt gained 1.5.
Since then I've had four tanks no additives. The first three finished with the usual 2mpg difference, however I am still about +2mpg since the twice dose of Techron. The caveat being I only had my molten since June, nearly 150k, and also replaced the purge valve.
This tank I had two days of solid rain and the bewildered traffic that goes with it, so I've taken another -1.5 on the dash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts