Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Soul and when I try to accelerate out of my neighborhood quickly to get up to speed fast, even after holding the TC button down it will still cut fuel and make the car shake violently. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to disable all of the electric nannies. Many thanks for the help.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don’t think the Tc , traction control, button is intended to be held dow. It’s a press and rerelease that turns traction control on and off.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
271 Posts
I have a 2021 Soul and when I try to accelerate out of my neighborhood quickly to get up to speed fast, even after holding the TC button down it will still cut fuel and make the car shake violently. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to disable all of the electric nannies. Many thanks for the help.
Maybe learning what pedal pressure causes the car to NOT want to spin its tyres is the better bet.

Am I understanding correctly that when you say "hold down" you mean holding for the 3 or 5 seconds needed to turn off both the stability AND the traction control - rather than holding it down while driving?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t think the Tc , traction control, button is intended to be held dow. It’s a press and rerelease that turns traction control on and off.
I thought you press and hold those buttons to turn off all the stability control systems. One press turns traction control off and long press turns it all off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe you're talking about Kia’s ISG system automatically shuts off the engine when the vehicle is stuck in traffic, immediately starting it again when the driver needs to move. Driving in the city where the traffic is heaviest means having to stop and start on a pretty consistent basis.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Gadget

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe learning what pedal pressure causes the car to NOT want to spin its tyres is the better bet.

Am I understanding correctly that when you say "hold down" you mean holding for the 3 or 5 seconds needed to turn off both the stability AND the traction control - rather than holding it down while driving?
Yup that’s exactly what I meant. I had a 2013 Rio before this and the tc didn’t interfere as much as this car. You really have to baby it on the turn and then go full throttle to get up to speed or else you will be jerking across the street. The fact that I am crossing the road with all of the gravel and dirt doesn’t help out the system very much.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Can you please explain to us why you need to reach such a high speed quickly, when leaving home every day?
Do you live on a gravel & dirt highway?....lol How many travel lanes in the direction you need to go? What's the speed limit you need to achieve quickly - for merging?

Help us out here and explain this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you please explain to us why you need to reach such a high speed quickly, when leaving home every day?
Do you live on a gravel & dirt highway?....lol How many travel lanes in the direction you need to go? What's the speed limit you need to achieve quickly - for merging?

Help us out here and explain this.
So it is a road that is 55 mph and you come out just after a blind corner so you want to build your speed up so that some dumb kid, every year where I am from a kid from the local high school dies from a car accident, doesn’t crash into the back of you. It’s paved but you cross a lot of **** in the road when making a left which freaks out the car’s electronics.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
With OEM tires, spinning a tire on a powered left turn, is a given. And yes, the traction control will kick in and can get you killed, if you're trying to get into a gap in traffic. Been there, done that.
So you have a choice..... either push the Traction Control OFF button when you first start you car, or get wider tires, with better traction, which is what I did.
Plus, I live on a sand road, so I constantly need all the traction I can get. Wider tires takes care of the problem nicely.
When you have good traction, you won't have to worry about the Traction Control futzing with you.;)

As a permanent fix for the Stop n Go feature, just press the OFF button in, and jam it with something, so it stays IN, and the feature will be OFF every time you start up your car.

Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Jam it with a toothpick - then when you know the system is working correctly, snap the excess of the toothpick off.
If you need to remove the hidden toothpick edge on occasion, use one of the wife's / mom's sewing needles to pry it back out.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It just might be a good idea to remove the "Jammer" when taking the car into the dealer, for, whatever.
It could possibly be interpreted as Voiding the Warranty. Just sayin' ..... Just to be safe, and not sorry!
The little piece of card stock that I use, sticks out about 1/4", so it's easy to get a hold of, and just pull out.

I talked to one KIA salesman who actually drives a Gen-3 Soul, and he expressed to me how he hates that Stop-N-Go feature. When I told him how to defeat it, his eyes got big, and he said, "Thanks! I'll have to try that!".
It's amazing how many salesmen don't know about the 8th gear (overdrive) on the Gen 3 Soul with the IVT. They certainly don't make it a selling feature! Too BAD! It's a big PLUS to me! I use it a lot.

Cheers Mates,
:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take it to your dealer. That is your transmission going out! My wife’s did the exact same thing At 3500 miles. Trust me it’s the transmission

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Duh! You DON'T hold the button down. You just push it ONCE, so the little yellow icon on the dash panel lights up to tell you that the TC feature is disabled. OK?

If your car is spinning the OEM tires, you should consider new tires. Wider ones too.
The tires that KIA puts on its Soul, are not well matched to the Power of the Engine. A wider tire with greater traction, is a better match. My 2020 Soul is not the first car I've owned, where I've had to buy bigger (wider) tires for better traction.
Even my Gen-1 Soul, with the 1.6L engine, would spin the OEM tires. I went with an Asymetrical and wider tire, for max traction. That worked wonders!

I went two sized wider on my tires, and I no longer have any wheel/tire spin problems when accelerating hard into a turn, to get into traffic on a highway. It's a wild ride though. I like to have both hands on the steering wheel when pulling that maneuver. ;)
With the wider tires, my traction is so improved, that I very seldom have to use the TC Disable button.
I only use it when I'm forced to drive in deep, loose, sand, where the TC could, and would, get me stuck.
I can only imagine that it would be the same in snow.

Cheers Mate!

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
271 Posts
Duh! You DON'T hold the button down. You just push it ONCE, so the little yellow icon on the dash panel lights up to tell you that the TC feature is disabled. OK?

< major snip >

Cheers Mate!
FL, a quick push disables the Traction Control - a longer push causes a second beep and the Stability Control is disabled as well (unless it's the other way around) I'm tempted to say the usual "RTFM", but I suspect you've read it more than I have. :D

But it's in there.

EDIT to add:

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

1 - 14 of 14 Posts