·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet should be sourced a whole lot cheaper i wonder if they'll sell just the manifold or if i'll just have to make my own

oh wow 550cc injectors i was running 24 psi on my cavalier and only had 440cc injectors on it though the pulsewidth was long
Hey Nitro!

I know very little about them (turbos). I know what they do and how they function (from a scientific stand point), but not exacly what parts are involved LOL.

I'd love to learn as I will someday supe my car up (when I get the money =P).

Care to elaborate and share your knowledge!?!

If not, it's cool, I'm no fan of typing either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
wow talk about expensive. my brothers intercooled setup for his 2004 monte was way cheaper (and also makes rediculous h.p.), damn since i have no idea how to get the kia ecu tuned that may be worth looking into, but the rest of the kit is a little rediculous.

·
Registered
373 Posts
wow talk about expensive. my brothers intercooled setup for his 2004 monte was way cheaper (and also makes rediculous h.p.), damn since i have no idea how to get the kia ecu tuned that may be worth looking into, but the rest of the kit is a little rediculous.
Really? Just the turbo or supercharger are mucho dinero.

Add custom intake manifold, and seems the price is well within the right ballpark.

Although someone did mention that if you're going to be running such low boost, just go with nitro to begin with...

·
Registered
156 Posts
the price may look expensive to some people, but you have to figure that this is an all inclusive kit. it comes with literally everything you need to go from naturally aspirated to forced induction. alot of kits you see out there for other cars do not come with everything you need, or they are for cars that already run forced induction...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Intercooling Question:

So, intercoolers can be air-air or air-water. I found a very nice manifold that bolts to hyundai 2.0l engines to mount a supercharger and incorporates an air-liquid intercooler.

Now, there's the question of ice boxes. What I was wondering, is why not use the a/c?

First, it's too bad that variable speed control dc compressors aren't used yet. Would reduce the load on the engine and the parasitic losses from the belt driven compressor. Would also eliminate the need to relocate the a/c compressor to a position that can still be driven by the serpentine belt.

But no matter what kind of compressor, why not use the cooling power to cool the air from the supercharger or turbo? Instead of an icebox, a cold plate could be used (http://www.e-zkold.com/).

Good idea or bad?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The kits that are made for the Spectra may look good at first glance, but it will cost more to install in the long run, as most of the piping and even parts of the manifold will have to be modified.

The problem is, yes, the engine is the same, but the size of the engine room, as well as the route of the exhaust piping is different enough that the piping from the Spectra kit will most likely not fit without modification.

You're better waiting for a Soul-specific turbo kit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, intercoolers can be air-air or air-water. I found a very nice manifold that bolts to hyundai 2.0l engines to mount a supercharger and incorporates an air-liquid intercooler.

Now, there's the question of ice boxes. What I was wondering, is why not use the a/c?Good idea or bad?
first off, there is a big difference between air to air and air to water. air to air is going to be much easier to deal with, but not quite as cool of air. that being said, i had a temp sensor on the hot side and cold side and temps went from 160's down to 60's with just the air to air. i never personally ran an air to water, but i do know they can run cooler, but really, do you need air cooler than 60 for normal street use? i think not. another method you can use that i did was to add methanol injection. this did two things for me. one it raised my knock resistance and two it lowered my temps from 60's to 30's, and required FAR less maintainence than a air to liquid setup, and provided that extra benefit for knock protection, allowing higher boost.

now, second part of your question about using the AC system to cool the air... BAD idea. the AC condenser is actually HOT, not cold. the air coming through your vents is not being cooled by the condenser itself, the condenser is cooling off the compressed refrigerant as it is being pumped though the system. it recirculates. thats why you dont have to refill your refrigerant hardly ever... its essentailly a sealed system.

best bet for minimal expense and maximum result would be the air to air with methanol injection. you can by a meth kit for about $200 and install it in about 30-45 minutes if you know what to do. very easy setups.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The kits that are made for the Spectra may look good at first glance, but it will cost more to install in the long run, as most of the piping and even parts of the manifold will have to be modified.

The problem is, yes, the engine is the same, but the size of the engine room, as well as the route of the exhaust piping is different enough that the piping from the Spectra kit will most likely not fit without modification.

You're better waiting for a Soul-specific turbo kit.
quoted for troof. but then again, to at least already have the flange made with material coming off of it would be a huge benefit for those who cant wait for the soul specific kits... you could rework the bends and put it all back together rather easily IMHO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
air to air is going to be much easier to deal with
Depends. Hyundai 2.0L supercharger kits include an intake manifold with integrated air-water intercooling. Difficult to fit an air-air intercooler in that space.

now, second part of your question about using the AC system to cool the air... BAD idea. the AC condenser is actually HOT, not cold.
I do know how an a/c system works. I write maintenance manuals for them. You wouldn't use the condenser. That obviously would heat the air. You'd install a cold plate (which is another evaporator) and pipe the system so that cooling could be provided to the interior and/or the cold plate.

BTW I said compressor. Not condenser.

the air coming through your vents is not being cooled by the condenser itself, the condenser is cooling off the compressed refrigerant as it is being pumped though the system. it recirculates. thats why you dont have to refill your refrigerant hardly ever... its essentailly a sealed system.
You should NEVER really need to refill an ideal a/c system. Another advantage of dc compressors as you can use hermetically sealed units instead of the pully driven ones which have seals that degrade and allow refrigerant to escape.

BTW for those that might be unclear on the concept: Cooling is provided by an A/C because heat is moved from one side (absorbed by expanding gas in the evaporator) to the other (compressing gas in the condenser). Same principle as air being released from your tires feels cold and the pump used to fill them back up gets hot. A/C refrigerant ads the latent heat of liquid to gas phase change into the equation.

·
Registered
845 Posts
alright lets see if i can remember everything

first of it does seem like a good all inclusive kit your paying for them to do all the research and have a trouble free setup so good price yes
can you get the parts alone for alot cheaper yes will you have to do all the setup for it and be alot more work yes but if you know what your doing then its not much trouble

as for the a/c idea 99% of all ac compressors turn off after 80% throttle is reached for more power (no parasitic loss to the a/c compressor) can you wire the a/c to be on no matter what yes but having an a/c on at at full throttle throughout your entire rpm range is very detrimental to the a/c compressor seals so while it would be a good idea it would just end up being more work than its worth as said before methanol injection c02 cooler nitrous and water inction are much easier ways to lower your cylinder temps especially water and methanol injection since they both have high heat latencies

of to work now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts