Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a question fellow hamsters. Does anyone know if the Engine mounts are the same for the 2.0L Non turbo Kia Soul, (2010-1013) and the 2012 Turbo Kia Optima? I was told they were and the spec for that engine is 2.0L Turbo, 274 HP. I know it's a stupid question, but I thought you guys would know.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say,go on Rock Auto or something,and look up the part numbers for both and compare.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say,go on Rock Auto or something,and look up the part numbers for both and compare.
I just started looking. So far it looks like it's the SAME block. It might make for a mean swap. Considering the Soul weighs 800lbs less, (2600lbs to the optima's 3400lbs) That's going to be a hell of a jump if I can pull it off to go from 146 hp, to 245hp.

If I found a way to do this, do you think I should make a video series on it and upload it for people on the forum? (keep in mind this is a lot of wishful thinking, but I think it would be awesome to do)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just not gonna happen. Way too many supporting systems and programming involved.
Define Supporting Systems. If you swap the engine, wiring harness, and ECU, Install an intercooler and supporting mods, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I mean they put a Honda motor in a Kia Soul, why not put a Kia motor that uses the same block, and just has more umph to it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why mess with defective Hyundai engines when you could just LS swap it?
which one is the defective one? and why would i put chevy **** in my car? If I am going to do that, I might as well just put the engine from the focus ST in then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love how people want to dog on others for wanting to do something on here. Whether it actually happens or not, is another story, but don't crap on somebody day dreaming about something they think would be fun. jesus.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I love how people want to dog on others for wanting to do something on here. Whether it actually happens or not, is another story, but don't crap on somebody day dreaming about something they think would be fun. jesus.
Not sure about others, but I was concerned you'd dump your entire retirement fund on this project for nothing, so you're welcome. If you look around the forum, there are plenty of modifications people do, however, there is a reasonable limit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Agreed,I’m all about the hotrodding spirit of things no matter the brand.

I know of a guy who brought up the possibility of swapping a Hellcat engine and trans into his Dakota pickup,and was poo pooed all over the place.
I was one of the few who said go for it! Long story short,guess who’s driving a Hellcat swapped Dakota,and having a blast! Another buddy put a 392 in his.
Do your home work,and have some fun!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just started looking. So far it looks like it's the SAME block. It might make for a mean swap. Considering the Soul weighs 800lbs less, (2600lbs to the optima's 3400lbs) That's going to be a hell of a jump if I can pull it off to go from 146 hp, to 245hp.

If I found a way to do this, do you think I should make a video series on it and upload it for people on the forum? (keep in mind this is a lot of wishful thinking, but I think it would be awesome to do)
I say go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Be interesting to see how it works out.
Greg

·
Registered
423 Posts
Define Supporting Systems. If you swap the engine, wiring harness, and ECU, Install an intercooler and supporting mods, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I mean they put a Honda motor in a Kia Soul, why not put a Kia motor that uses the same block, and just has more umph to it?
Technically it would work, but there are a lot more sensors and support systems than just what talks to the engine itself, and the ECUs these days usually take all those pieces into account. You'd have to be very careful about what you swap and what you don't, and what you'd have to "cheat" into place. You can drop in whatever engine you want as long as you know what systems to bypass and what has to be modified to talk to the new ECU, or if you're able to use the original ECU with some reprogramming. For me, I had talked to Tork Motorsports a year or so ago, and they claimed to be able to reprogram the 1.6 2G ECU to use run the 1.6 turbo fuel/timing maps if I got all the turbo hardware bolted up to it.

For the Honda engine swap that someone did a while ago, that kind of thing doesn't scare ME, but I guess it's all up to your knowledge level and capabilities. I have no issue cutting steel and rewiring a car front to back. You know your own skills best.

All of them, 2010-2019, Turbo and non-turbo. LS swap was a joke. It makes as much sense as putting an engine from the Optima.
I would totally swap an LS into a Soul just to freak people out, given the time to do it...

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is the problem with swaps today. So much electronics and what about emissions test. If you have them there will most likely be Trouble in River City. In ancient times you could do anything that you could shoehorn in.. Ford in a Chevy, Buick in a Ford, Chrysler hemi in anything. Sometimes I sure miss the past, at least parts of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts