Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
768 Posts
Thanks, Conwelpic for posting the above. It is always surprising to me that some folks think they are "smarter" than the car maker when it comes to using the recommended oil viscosity.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It's not totally beyond comprehension, that a guy who has use a brand X filter and 20W50 oil in every car for the past 20+ years, thinks it's OK to use the same things on his/her Kia Soul.

Surprise! Surprise! The Kia Soul ain't yo daddy's Buick!

I have the little 1.6L, 4-Cylinder, DFI, VVT, DOHC engine. It's the most high tech engine I've ever owned and it does require special attention to keep it working as it was designed.

And, by Jove, I give it all the attention I possibly can, between rain storms.
I have no garage and NO paved driveway, so I have to do all my maintenance in my back yard, among the sand burrs and pine needles.
I did built two concrete ramps though, to facilitate easier oil changes.

To me, taking care of my little Gertrude, isn't a chore, it's a real pleasure. "She ain't heavy, she's my baby!"

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On my 2014 ! the default is recirculate.
usually that's only if you set it on Max a/c - at least that's the case on mine (manual a/c). Does yours have auto a/c or manual?

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
new TSB 066 for 2014 Soul w/Nav upgrade

September 25th, 2014

(there is 8 pages on this TSB, the rest of the pages shows how the dealer does the upgrade)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've been in the habit of putting one ounce per 10 gallons of STA-BIL Marine Fuel Stabilizer in every tank of gas, mainly because of the ethanol content in NY gasoline and because several weeks to a month often go by between fill-ups for me. There have been times in other cars when enough water condensed into the gas to cause problems, especially in the spring and fall, when the temperatures can shift dramatically.

I use the Marine version of STA-BIL because it's more concentrated, is less expensive per use, and supposedly is better at mitigating with the problems associated with ethanol. But I haven't yet used the STA-BIL (nor any other fuel additive) in the Soul. Anyone have any input about this?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've been in the habit of putting one ounce per 10 gallons of STA-BIL Marine Fuel Stabilizer in every tank of gas, mainly because of the ethanol content in NY gasoline and because several weeks to a month often go by between fill-ups for me. There have been times in other cars when enough water condensed into the gas to cause problems, especially in the spring and fall, when the temperatures can shift dramatically.

I use the Marine version of STA-BIL because it's more concentrated, is less expensive per use, and supposedly is better at mitigating with the problems associated with ethanol. But I haven't yet used the STA-BIL (nor any other fuel additive) in the Soul. Anyone have any input about this?
its all covered in your owners manual with regards additives, what to use and what not to use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think there is enough info out there to prove that ethonal is bad for our gas engines no matter what the gov and corn industry says, on all my small engines I use ethonal free gas and on all my other cars trucks RVs diesel and gas I use Star Tron.
I do follow the recomadition for engine oil weight but Kia does not mfg oil filters and I use a premium brand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks 2014 I did read the TSB and filter leak down can be a problem on engines that the filter is installed with the threads down and the oil pan below the filter like the old Jeep 4.0 6 cylinder engine they need a good check valve, our little 1.6 4 cylender canot leak down with the threads up and the can down so the check valve really don't come into play, the oil viscosity is super important on our new type engines with closer tolerances especially in the valve train. If the dealers can convince us that the only way we are protected is to have all our service done by them they could increase their profit margin by a lot, I'm through!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
768 Posts
^^^

Welcome Walt, I guess. So you are saying the TSB is a lie? KIA is just making this up so they can jam us $6.00 for an oil filter? I for one ain't buying it and that "dog don't hunt", but it is your car so do what you want.:run:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If the dealers can convince us that the only way we are protected is to have all our service done by them they could increase their profit margin by a lot, I'm through!
You can buy the filters without them doing the actual service :) Wasn't arguing with you, just pointing you to the TSB in case you didn't see it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thanks Nick but I dont think I said Kia was a Lie I was just stating the facts.
The big lie is that a brand X oil filter will provide the same filtering and provide the VVT system with the correct oil pressure to assure its proper operation.

Every Kia dealer has the Genuine Kia Oil Filter on the parts room shelf, and generally you can get one for about $6 (prices may vary some, from dealer to dealer) and my own dealer discounts the filters to me and they include a new Crush Washer, for the drain plug, with every filter.*
I'd have to be a total @#%^* to not take advantage of a deal like that.
* All four cylinder Kia engines, use the same filter.

It shouldn't take a Mechanical Engineer, to see the difference in the two filters in the above picture.

:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually, the Hyundai / Kia oil filters I purchase are less expensive that regular Fram filters. The dealership I go to (Rick Case) always discounts them, and they make sure they toss in a new washer for the plug with every filter. I'm paying less than $5 each, tax included. Counter guy says "they don't care if you change your own oil, but at least use our filters." It's less warranty issues for them.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts