Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Buzz - could we make this a sticky as we already have a Recall thread and then any TSB's for the Soul we could add them to the list and make for easy reference for everyone)

I got contacted from my dealer yesterday to inform me of a service campaign on manual heater and a/c system and to bring it when convenient and it takes about half hour, all under warranty.

I checked on KGIS and sure enough there is one listed and revised on July 17th for TSB 021

Subject: Service Action: Manual HVAC Control Unit Logic Improvement (SA148)

This bulletin provides information related to a controller software upgrade for 2012-13MY Soul (AM) vehicles, produced from July 11, 2011 to June 22, 2012, and equipped with Manual HVAC controls. The possible concern relates to an HVAC controller which may emit CAN error messages that may cause communication concerns between other systems on the network. As a result, MIL may be “ON” along with CAN Communication related DTCs, C1623 and C1687 (active or stored).
To correct this condition, upgrade the HVAC controller using the procedure outlined in this TSB. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thank you!

I just emailed my Service Manager, to see if I need that re-flash on my own car.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
We definitely need a sticky TSB section - though compared to other vehicles the Soul hasn't had that many of them, unless we already have a sticky for them.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,064 Posts
(Buzz - could we make this a sticky as we already have a Recall thread and then any TSB's for the Soul we could add them to the list and make for easy reference for everyone)

I got contacted from my dealer yesterday to inform me of a service campaign on manual heater and a/c system and to bring it when convenient and it takes about half hour, all under warranty.

I checked on KGIS and sure enough there is one listed and revised on July 17th for TSB 021

Subject: Service Action: Manual HVAC Control Unit Logic Improvement (SA148)

This bulletin provides information related to a controller software upgrade for 2012-13MY Soul (AM) vehicles, produced from July 11, 2011 to June 22, 2012, and equipped with Manual HVAC controls. The possible concern relates to an HVAC controller which may emit CAN error messages that may cause communication concerns between other systems on the network. As a result, MIL may be “ON” along with CAN Communication related DTCs, C1623 and C1687 (active or stored).
To correct this condition, upgrade the HVAC controller using the procedure outlined in this TSB. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB.
It's stuck like Chuck now.......:p

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2.0L June 30, 2011 to Aug 29, 2011

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That could lead one to think that reading the TSB's should be mandatory, before picking up ones new car keys.

I learn something new every time I read those things. Details! Details! Details! The devil is in the details.

Thank you kind sir, for posting those TSB's.

TM :cool:

85 Posts
That could lead one to think that reading the TSB's should be mandatory, before picking up ones new car keys.

I learn something new every time I read those things. Details! Details! Details! The devil is in the details.

Thank you kind sir, for posting those TSB's.

TM :cool:
Hey TechnoMage
isn't this what I was saying about running 93+ octane.... Avoid these issues with better fuel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Top Tier is a reference to brand of gasoline not octane. Google "Top Tier Gasoline" and the Top Tier
retailers link is at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for limited models and run TSB for the 2014 Soul

·
Registered
565 Posts

the full bulletin is four pages long.
This TSB would be unnecessary had KIA implemented the AC control system properly. The default air intake should always be RECIRCULATE not OUTSIDE AIR. This is the main reason there are so many reported problems with must/mold/mildew smells. Anybody who knows the first thing about HVAC work knows that the efficiency and contamination impacts of outside air are orders of magnitude greater.

Mind boggling that KIA has not figured this out yet and at least fixed the logic control to leave the air intake setting persistent with the last setting instead of constantly resetting back to OUTSIDE AIR.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
update as of June 24, 2014 on TSB 114

there has been an update to the TSB bulletin #114 with regards "Aftermarket Oil Filters and Oil Viscosity" so I'm posting it here for reference

might cut down on some of the arguments in the past in this regard and probably Kia has heard the same thing and done the revision :sneakiness:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts