Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul +
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got bored so I'm trying to give one of our Souls interior lights in the footwell when we open the door. Trying to have them to turn on when I open the door, and turn off when I close the door. I'll be wiring a switch to manually turn them on and off if I see fit with the door closed. All in all it sounds and looks like an easy job, but I'm having issues finding a good trigger wire that has current through it only when the door is open.

My original plan was to wire the relay to the battery, wire the lights to the relay, ground, etc and then wire the key illumination light to the relay as a trigger, I like the way it stays on for a bit and turns off when you start the car. Unfortunately that doesn't appear like it's going to work because of the way that light functions.

Then I was going to do it with the overhead lamp, but really don't have the time today to remove the headliner.

Is there any wire near the steering column or footwell area that will deliver what I need that I can splice into? Or another relay I can tap into that trigger wire somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul +
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wilst searching for it I also found my door lights aren't working. So... Guess I'll be tearing that panel off anyway unless these are for show and not actually door lights.

Would still like info on a wire that does what I'm looking for though, don't like running wires through doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
What year, what trim level? You can add it to your profile or your signature. If it were me I would use the dome light circuit or the actual door jamb button.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul +
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, yes, sorry meant to do that. This one is a 2015 + Red Zone 2.0 model. I was going to see if I could just remove the dome light assembly and tuck a wire under the headliner, but it appears as if pulling it off is going to damage the headliner itself since it feels like it's glued on there. Don't have time to remove the headliner, and the fuse has power running to it at all times. I don't know if there's a relay for the dome lights or where its located. Not do I know where the wire to and from the dome light is ran to in the car.

As far as the door jam button, seems to be on the inside of the door, will have to take it apart when I get home and see how that will function. But how does one access the wiring that goes through the door? My hands aren't exactly the smallest and I've had a hell of a time trying to figure out that clip and pull system that it has (wire will have to be ran through that after all).

·
Registered
2019 Soul+ w/ Primo Package
91 Posts
You have a few options:

1) The domelight wire is located in the driver front pillar, white 30 or 24 pin plug, pin 16; yellow with a black stripe wire and is negative trigger. This will trigger on any door opening.
The individual door trigger wires will only activate when the individual door is opened, and if you go this route you will need to diode isolate them from each other.

2) Your door lighting only works when the auto headlights (if equipped) are activated; or you manually turn on the park and/or headights.

ALWAYS use a quality VOM when testing vehicle electrical circuits, and confirm prior to interfacing.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul +
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your talking about the wires that run down into the foot well, where the left foot sits behind that panel on the side yes? I figured it may be wired there but had a hell of a time trying to find a diagram. Sounds like it may be easiest way to do it unless the wire is easily isolated coming down the piller itself.

(Did try taking that front drivers side pillar off once, weird white slidey tab thingy blocked by the giant tampon looking thing I couldn't figure out how to detach)

Thanks though, I have a lead on what I'm chasing down when I get home now at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts