Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had many issues putting the trunk mesh cover on - something that appeared like it would take 5 minutes took a lot longer - (first the drill bit required no one ever heard of let alone sells) - now that its in it turns and seems like it will come out - did anyone else have issues with this?

I see on the top of the trunk/back space there are groves like for a traditional trunk cover - but I don't see anyone selling one - they must have had something in mind - is anyone aware of one? or have one with pics?

·
Registered
147 Posts
you really, really need to take another look at the threads in this forum. Anything that says "Cargo Cover" or "rear shelf" should do it. Be prepared to be jealous of the UK KIA supplied rear cargo shelf that you cannot get in the US of A or Canada a!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had to do the install for my wife's cover. The dealership apparently thought we were in some sort of hurry and didn't finish the job.

That drill bit size is a bit goofy - 7.5mm = .295in. I used a 7/64" bit and then reamed the hole a little with my pocket knife. Worked like a charm. If you used an oversized bit you will have problems because the knob secures in the hole by compressing (thereby expanding) the rubber piece that goes over the threaded part. It won't expand a whole lot, so if the hole is too big you won't get a tight fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found pics of cargo cover..

you really, really need to take another look at the threads in this forum. Anything that says "Cargo Cover" or "rear shelf" should do it. Be prepared to be jealous of the UK KIA supplied rear cargo shelf that you cannot get in the US of A or Canada a!
Thanks for referring me - I found it searching parcel shelf - altough after seeing it - its not as spiffy and looks a little old fashioned. Thanks for referring me. WIll wait the wait to see one in person.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to do the install for my wife's cover. The dealership apparently thought we were in some sort of hurry and didn't finish the job.

That drill bit size is a bit goofy - 7.5mm = .295in. I used a 7/64" bit and then reamed the hole a little with my pocket knife. Worked like a charm. If you used an oversized bit you will have problems because the knob secures in the hole by compressing (thereby expanding) the rubber piece that goes over the threaded part. It won't expand a whole lot, so if the hole is too big you won't get a tight fit.
Thanks! Yes it was a weird size bit - and I didn't think it expanded much so mine now "twirls." I am waiting for it to fall off as the mesh and elastic is tight! We shall see. Seems like it wasn't worth the money.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks! Yes it was a weird size bit - and I didn't think it expanded much so mine now "twirls." I am waiting for it to fall off as the mesh and elastic is tight! We shall see. Seems like it wasn't worth the money.
Mine ended up in the cargo divider so the dog would have room. I guess that's where it will stay until needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
A 10 mm socket is essential for any engine work here, but in general in the US we still use the SAE sizes and metric is one of those things you'd think was a cause fought for by the Taliban. To find metric sizes of anything beyond a wrench, socket set or allen keys can be a bit of effort. My bazillion piece drill bit/screwbit/holesaw set has screwdriver types I'd never heard of, but NO metric.

On the other hand, if you go into civil design for state projects, the plans all have to be done in metric. Medicines are commonly prescribed and dosed in mm, or cc, and mg. Even the military uses meters and kilometers primarily.

We Yanks are nothing if not inconsistant!

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK - I can get that, as we drink pints, drive in miles per hour and weigh ourselves in Stones and pounds & our sweeties come in quarter ounces. Land is measured in acres and parts thereof, yet everything else is metric.

hence the NASA mars expedition lander ploughed into the planet as we had designed it in metric and you guys programmed it in US imperial.

Doh.

I blame the French. It's all their fault.:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
OK - I can get that, as we drink pints, drive in miles per hour and weigh ourselves in Stones and pounds & our sweeties come in quarter ounces. Land is measured in acres and parts thereof, yet everything else is metric.

hence the NASA mars expedition lander ploughed into the planet as we had designed it in metric and you guys programmed it in US imperial.

Doh.

I blame the French. It's all their fault.:D
My sweetie came in quarter tons!

Oh crap - my wife isn't on this board, is she?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts