Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it just me, or have others realized that by doing the math on your miles driven since last fill up, dividing by the gallons just filled, you get a different avg mpg from what the little dash guage shows? Recently I posted I was in fact "stoked" at the avg MPGs of my little beast, whereas after I actually did the math (as above), my "stoked status" dropped to "okay happy" status. Who's with me on this little fact? (*sorry for misspelled word in title: won't let me edit that.).

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
It is not you, it is all of us. The little gauges read half a mile and up from reality for most of us. Mine average about 1.5 miles on the high side, others have reported other readings and some have read no differences. Quite a number of us use Fuelly.com to track our mileage history.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm only on my second tank of gas so far. Dealer filled the car up with gas before I bought it. I got halfway through that tank and then disconnected the battery to do the cruise control install. So in my mind there was no need to try to figure out gas mileage on that first tank. But I filled it up myself the second time and so far the computer is reporting that I'm getting about 30.2 mpg. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the tank. I'm not THAT worried about my gas mileage since I just sold a 7.3 liter diesel F-250 and a 5.0 Mustang. Pretty sure I'll get better gas mileage than both of those vehicles ever dreamed of getting. But I'm gonna check. If I'm getting 28 mpg or better then I'm gonna be OK with that. If I'm not then... too bad for me, huh? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
According to my gauge I am getting about 23-24 mpg. (I haven't checked it myself)
I do mostly in-town driving but that seems low compared to what others seem to be getting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
using non ethanol fuel I can average 1-2 mpg better, and although mine is an older soul the mpg readout is consistently 2mpg over actual.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used to get 20mpg on average which is a lot lower than most people here, since changing my wheels, tires, and intake I get 26-32mpg on average according to the car and I drive terribly fuel economy wise..when I have my OBDII reader on I'm usually getting nearly the exact same and that's direct from the computer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I was getting suspicious as my little guage was reading around 31ish, give or take, (sometimes 28ish) all the time. It's been 4 weeks now, and I think 3 fill ups (1 road trip). Sometimes my job is only a few miles from home. Next job a few miles more, etc. I figured there's NO way I could be getting over 30 all the time. So, I checked when I did my last fill, and yep, I was only getting 28ish (more hwy driving on this past tank full) and NOT 31.6 as the little computer said. I don't plan to track my mileage and my MPGs forever- just the "new car elation stage" and I'm super curious. It beats the 19ish I was getting before, 21 if I was lucky! I'll be happy with the he 28-31 I'm now getting. ��

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, I was getting suspicious as my little guage was reading around 31ish, give or take, (sometimes 28ish) all the time. It's been 4 weeks now, and I think 3 fill ups (1 road trip). Sometimes my job is only a few miles from home. Next job a few miles more, etc. I figured there's NO way I could be getting over 30 all the time. So, I checked when I did my last fill, and yep, I was only getting 28ish (more hwy driving on this past tank full) and NOT 31.6 as the little computer said. I don't plan to track my mileage and my MPGs forever- just the "new car elation stage" and I'm super curious. It beats the 19ish I was getting before, 21 if I was lucky! I'll be happy with the he 28-31 I'm now getting. ��
You're taking the same approach that I am about it. My PT Cruiser was yielding no more than 18 MPG with the job I have and even worse when I had to run the A/C.
The Soul is giving me an average close to 22 MPG consistently.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I track my actual MPG with Fuelly AND record the dash readout on each fill up in Fuelly. In my experience now over dozens of fill ups the computer can be off +\- 2 MPG but when you average the computer readings over multiple tanks, it's nearly spot on with actual. IMHO, it all comes down to pump shutoff variation and averaging smooths that out. Any individual tank, even computed manually, is going to vary and the smaller the vehicle's tank, the larger the apparent MPG discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have found that the higher the gauge number on the readout, the further it is off from reality. I have all kinds of MPG posts on here (do a search under my name) and experiments I conducted, and I think my highest one-tank MPG mostly highway was 42.3 MPG in reality, and I believe the gauge read 46.2 or something similar, about 4 MPG difference. My normal mileage almost all highway runs 32-36 MPG, and the gauge reads 34-39 MPG.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I track my actual MPG with Fuelly AND record the dash readout on each fill up in Fuelly. In my experience now over dozens of fill ups the computer can be off +\- 2 MPG but when you average the computer readings over multiple tanks, it's nearly spot on with actual. IMHO, it all comes down to pump shutoff variation and averaging smooths that out. Any individual tank, even computed manually, is going to vary and the smaller the vehicle's tank, the larger the apparent MPG discrepancy.
I've tried to explain that here before but I think you did a better job of it. Mine is off by maybe 1/2 MPG over time, (on the optimistic side) from my calculations. But as you point out manual calculations are not exact either. Since this whole discussion about the accuracy of the computer I have paid closer attention to the shut off of the nozzle. It varies widely not only from pump to pump but alot from station to station. Those that pump faster shut off sooner, those that pump slower give more fuel before shutting off.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
I've named my little mpg computer Pinocchio

·
Registered
23 Posts
I havent taken mine on the highway yet (I only have 1023 on the odometer) I basically use it to drive to and from work (1.5 miles each way) and the same tank lasts me about 3 weeks. When I see the Mpg it usually says like 26.5 or 27 at the moment.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Apparently KIA's big MPG payout from their "procedural error" in calculating MPG on earlier models did not extend to fixing the software coding for their second generation vehicles. Most onboard calculators provide optimistic mileage. After 15,000 miles, mine reads out 2 MPG higher than reality. I keep hoping KIA (and other manufacturers) make significant improvements in MPG; it's long overdue.
Greg

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I always fill up at a station close to I-5. Jumping on the freeway my computer goes right to high 32s to low 33s and pretty much stays there, even though half of my driving is mixed. Real world calculations, even over time, show high 28's. Consistently 3-4 miles per gallon less than Pinochio's readout.

I'm wondering if anyone ever gets better real world mileage than what the computer says. Or is it universally overstated. If so, seems like they should be able to tweak the algorithm to be more accurate, at least for Gen 2.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My MPG gauges shows my car getting 36 to 38 MPG, however actual math is closer to 32/33 MPG also the average
Also the average speed gauge shows I average 48mph on my 67 mile round trip to work and home.

The car I believe is designed to give out false reading to keep the driver happy.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That's been my experience, as well, except usually it's closer to +/- 1 MPG off. For the entire time I've owned my Soul, there has been less than 1 MPG difference between the aggregate means of the on-board display's readings and my mathematical computations for each tank.

I wonder if users whose readings are consistently off by the same amount may simply need a speedometer calibration or be using worn tires? I know my speedometer is dead on because there's a school zone here with a radar warning sign, and it always shows the exact speed that my speedometer shows. My GPS speedometer also agrees with my dash speedometer.

In my case, both my winter and summer tires are new, and both the speedometer and the on-board MPG readout are accurate. As the tires wear, I expect that the indicated speed will increase relative to actual speed, which will also result in higher MPG readings.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The car I believe is designed to give out false reading to keep the driver happy.
Future Soul computers will tell us how smart we are & that those vertical stripes we're wearing really do make us look thinner. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found my MPG count is ussualy about half to one mpg higher on the gauge compared to tripmeter math at fill up.

In the winter I average 24mpg while summer nets me about 30mpg. My best was a long trip from CT to DC where I got as high as 36mpg.

The gauge I doubt the most is the average mph one. That thing always says 30 (+/- 2) and most of my driving is 45+.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Both my computer and my math said I got 24.8 on my first tankful. And I do 90% city, with the AC always on. I'll continue to monitor as the sample size gets larger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts