Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times a week, my month old 2020 EX wouldn't start right up and I eventually took it into the dealer for service. Since it was an intermittent problem - the dealer wasn't able to replicate the problem after having the car in the shop for a few days. So I went in to pick it back up, wondering if I was an idiot and didn't know how to start a car correctly. As luck would have it, the service tech went out back to bring my EX around and it wouldn't start and that it needed a new starter. We had a good laugh and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
There's been a lot said about the ISG possibly being hard on starters. Your story makes me glad that I've permanently Disabled the ISG on my car. That might be something to consider.

Cheers mate, and thanks for the post.
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to disable the ISG due to worries that the starter would get extra wear. But now I've come to appreciate it when driving on stoplight heavy roads. And if the starter goes bad, Kia will just have to replace it (within 100k). Win win.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My understanding is that the starters in ISG systems are more robust than traditional starters and the ir supporting components are similarly upgraded to support the additional wear.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'm just not willing to take the chance, that my starter will shoot craps and leave me stranded who knows where or when. I know from past experience, that around here I could wait for hours for a Roll-back wrecker to come and get me. And where would they take me, on a Sunday night? Shops are closed, , , dealers are all closed, , , etc. And then how would I get home?

So if I'm going to error, I'm going to error on the side of caution, and take as much stress and strain off of my starter as possible.
Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
And if the starter goes bad, Kia will just have to replace it (within 100k). Win win.
I do not believe Kia will pay your towing costs, if needed.
I toothpicked my Start-Stop. It's disabled and both myself and my wife are happy.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
"I do not believe Kia will pay your towing costs, if needed. "

Well, they say they will, but then.....who really knows. That's why I keep my AAA membership in good standing.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts