Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know or have a picture showing which line on the transmission is the pump line? I know I can take them off and point both lines into a collection container and turn the engine on momentarily, but I was hoping to avoid having to do all that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Even in Oklahoma, why would you do that? I'm assuming that you have an AT, which is not user serviceable.

Just curious!

At 60k, I took my 2013 Soul to my dealer for a transmission Flush & Fill. They have the machine to do that, and the knowledge to do it right. They also have the correct fluid for the job.

Happy Labor Day!

:cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is serviceable, else why would it have a drain and fill plug. I have and do my own flushes and have for many years. There is nothing particularly magical about it. Admittedly, the machine does make it easier though. I have already changed out my fluid with Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid but I did not do a full flush at that time, just a drain and refilled a couple times. However, now I aim to install an external filter to catch some of the finer junk that makes it through and in order to do that I need to know which line is the pump line.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Would it really make a difference?
Either line should work equally well.

And, do you already have over 100k miles on your Gen-2?

Just curious. Nothing negative.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It is serviceable, else why would it have a drain and fill plug. I have and do my own flushes and have for many years. There is nothing particularly magical about it. Admittedly, the machine does make it easier though. I have already changed out my fluid with Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid but I did not do a full flush at that time, just a drain and refilled a couple times. However, now I aim to install an external filter to catch some of the finer junk that makes it through and in order to do that I need to know which line is the pump line.
I have a 2013 service manual; I doubt there's any real difference. I can look for that section PDF if you want. PM me an e-mail address.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it really make a difference?
Either line should work equally well.

And, do you already have over 100k miles on your Gen-2?

Just curious. Nothing negative.

Considering the tolerances in a transmission, particularly the valve body, having taken them apart before and seeing first hand, yes, anything that reduces contaminants does make a difference. I mean, imagine the contaminants that are trapped on the magnetic drain plug as it is from the factory. You think that catches all of it? So installing an additional, inline filter supplements that. If I had room I would install a full on oil filter type set up, which I have done before, but it does not look like there will be the room for that in the Soul. Therefore an inline filter will have to do. Easy enough to change out and inexpensive.

Don't even get me started on coolant filtration. I haven't made it that far in the Soul yet, may not end up doing so, but it too is something I have installed in other vehicles and you would be surprised at the gunk such a thing catches.

And, no, I do not have 100k on the vehicle yet. It has only 42k at the moment. However, given a relatively unknown maintenance history, I'd rather spend the money and know exactly when everything has been done and work from there. I will eventually flush the brake fluid as well just because it too is an often neglected fluid but I have to find a set of speed bleeder valves first so I can do that by myself.

That all being said, I am rather anal about my maintenance. Historically it has served me very well. They can label things all they wish as 'not serviceable' or other such terms but the truth is, if it is using a fluid, lubricant, etc. then it needs to be serviced. As far as I know, they have not yet come up with one that does not break down over time nor is impervious to heat cycles, etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wonder why the manufacturers never went with a spin on transmission fluid filter like they have for oil? The screen filter inside an AT may never be checked/replaced since there is no owner access.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder why the manufacturers never went with a spin on transmission fluid filter like they have for oil? The screen filter inside an AT may never be checked/replaced since there is no owner access.
There have been models here and there that do utilize an external, spin-on type filter. It's just not very common at all. Which is perplexing as a spin on oil filter, at least a good quality one, can trap far smaller particles and has a by-pass mechanism build in should it become clogged, which the internal transmission filters do not have to the best of my knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts