Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Soul dealer called(Kia Of Hamilton) for 40k oil change told me i would need transmission flush 189.$ in owners manual 96k i was told if they recommend it. If i refuse my warranty was void.I called Kia Canada and was told i only had to follow what what was required in owners manual not what the dealer recommends.Kia Canada representative seemed like she wanted me off the phone never asked what dealer or anything.Any input ??? I will be filing a complaint with Ministry of Consumer Services
Consumer Protection Branch

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,167 Posts
just follow what's in the owner's manual for service, anything above that is your choice. The dealer can suggest early work, which sometimes is based on past experience but its not compulsory.

There is no way the dealer can void the warranty (they are not the ones that pay for it anyway). You can also go to another dealer for service if you wish or get it done at a private garage, as long as you keep proof of the work you have had done in order to maintain the maintenance schedule.

Good Luck, also it would be helpful if you could fill out your DRIVES profile on the left with details of your Soul for future conversations - thanks. (makes it easier than having to click on your garage each time we need the details)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I expect the hyundai/kia trannys nowadays to be more robust... but all the same I'll probably flush at 1/2 recommended distance like I do with my 04 Elantra. I need to look up my fluids info for the Soul tranny... I *only* use the SP-III fluid meant for it, never the multi-purpose/universal stuff...
Is SP-III what they still use?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Sounds like the dealer was making a recommendation based on how much $$$ he thought he could extract from your wallet!
F.W.I.W...We ran my wifes 04 elantra to 120k mikes with same transmission fluid. Nice & red with NO issues!
If you trailer or tow then you needs may differ.
Hyundai uses a SPECIFIC fluid for their automatic transmissions (or at least they did) as the converter vanes were plastic and could/would be damaged by other fluid. If/when the time comes be sure to have it done at the Kia dealership to avoid any possibility of the wrong fluid being used.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had mine flushed by the dealer when it turned a medium-dark brown. It was around 33k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts