Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Full gallery including the first (failed) attempt at a repaint here:
2 years ago a kid chucked a chunk of concrete out of a city park trying to smash windshields. Thankfully 1) he missed and 2) Kia builds these hoods like bank vaults. I finally got around to fixing the dent and decided to try painting a whole body panel for the first time. I learned a lot, most importantly that I didn't know what I was doing. Second time seemed to work well though, and here I am.

During this process, I had the inspiration for a Firebird screaming chicken homage decal of a hamster breaking a treadmill. I designed it, sent the .svg file to a friend who cuts vinyl, and he has the idea to make it a set. Once the paint fully cured, the set was installed including the TransHam fender decal he came up with.

It's a good 20 foot paint job but it's not perfect. This was a fun learning experience though.

Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
Cool solution!
So you designed the hood emblem yourself? What did you use to paint the hood with, a pro sprayer? What was the red stuff peeling off in the one photo?

Any random strangers recognize the logo and compliment you?

I think you did a fantastic job all around! 馃憤

Reactions: scorchnoma

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Cool solution!
So you designed the hood emblem yourself? What did you use to paint the hood with, a pro sprayer? What was the red stuff peeling off in the one photo?

Any random strangers recognize the logo and compliment you?

I think you did a fantastic job all around! 馃憤
Thank you!

I did design the hood emblem, I used to do some graphic design work a long time ago. There's a photo in the gallery showing my inspiration. My friend who cut the vinyl has the set available on his site now, strait-design.com.

I did rattle cans both times trying to see if I could make it work for a whole panel. Long story short you can, but there are huge issues along the way and I wouldn't recommend it. If there is a next time, it's going to be done by someone else or I'm getting a proper spray gun.

The red coming off was none of the layers properly adhering to each other because I mixed paint manufacturers and a good chemical bond never occurred. When it dried, you could peel it like a cross between donut frosting and scotch tape. After that, I stripped it down to bare metal and started over.

I've gotten some good reactions on Instagram and a few double takes while I'm driving but I mostly did it for me. It will be interesting to see if anyone says anything about it the more I drive it, I just put these on last week.

Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
I used to do some graphic design work a long time ago.
I could tell鈥擨 used to be a graphic designer also! (magazine publishing & web design) 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I could tell鈥擨 used to be a graphic designer also! (magazine publishing & web design) 馃槈
Nothing all that significant, mostly web based stuff for a forum I helped run ages ago, some t-shirt design related to that, and some stuff for friends. Never got into it at a pro level but it's a nice skill set to still have.

Edit - you changed your question, and as response to your edited post - thank you!

Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
Oh that is so great!

How'd you do the decals?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I designed the hamster hood decal in Inkscape (any vector based software of the Illustrator type should do) and sent it to a friend of mine that does vinyl decals, strait design. He came up with the TransHam name and fender decal, and he's got them for sale now on his website with my full approval, I posted the link a little earlier in the thread.

The hood decal is a homage to the Firebird screaming chicken hood decal. The hamster in the center is inspired by a stretching hamster mixed with a coat of arms type lion with the body/hindquarters being the KDM Kia badge. The "wings" and tail feathers are a hamster wheel exploding.

The stripes are painted on, but lesson learned I should have done those in vinyl too.

Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
:):D
Thx!
Again - love - very cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts