Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting rear ended in December, I really did not feel too comfortable with my Soul. In the year that I owned it, it was perfect, and the best car a teenager could ask for. I have been looking for a quite a bit, and finally found a car I felt to be a suitable replacement. I went to Bob Dunn Hyundai and test drove a 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited in Indigo Blue Pearl with tan leather. I negotiated, and got $12,000 for my 2012 Kia Soul + with leather seats, and got the Elantra for $3,000 under sticker including tax, tags, and dealer fee. I am going to miss my Soul, but am looking forward to my future with my new Elantra. I'll still hang around the forums, and might occasionally chime in on posts.
-Michael
8200457996x640.jpg

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Enjoy your new Elantra, I test drove one and liked it except for the car like sitting position and visibility. Been rated very high by CR. I'm sure you will Enjoy the much better mileage...& the Elantra is a pretty cool looking vehicle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the styling was the first thing to catch my eye. I am looking forward to the better gas mileage, but will have to get used to the low seating position.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks, the styling was the first thing to catch my eye. I am looking forward to the better gas mileage, but will have to get used to the low seating position.
I am barely 5' tall and after having a Saturn that killed my back, went back to a Pickup...then to an SUV (H. Tucson). Found the Soul to be even more comfortable than the Tucson. Even in it, I added a cushion to sit higher. My only complaint with the Soul is the mpg but I knew that before I bought it...still better than the Tucson. Loved the Hyundai dealership and they do stand behind their products. Don't blame you for not trusting the Soul after an accident...had probs with my Mazda 626-NEVER could get it to past smog, nor could my Dad, I gave him the car after buying my B2000 PU so he had a car he didn't care if it got trashed. Damn thing ran fine and it was donated with 121K miles, original clutch (I learned to drive a clutch on it), just never could get it to past smog and it was so LOUD after the accident.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main thing that made me nervous was that a seemingly minor rear end crash gave me 2 herniated discs in my neck. I was really worried of what would happen if I were in a more severe crash. Being 6'9" the Soul was a bit easier to get into, but the Elantra has much more supportive seats for my back and neck over my 2012 Soul.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
BTW, like the wheels, very nice looking!

I guess the Soul is one of the few vehicles to accommodate very short and very tall drivers alike.
I can see the new commercials with basketball stars and the Little Couple Matt & Amy Roloff..

I hope your neck doesn't bother you...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
After getting rear ended in December, I really did not feel too comfortable with my Soul. In the year that I owned it, it was perfect, and the best car a teenager could ask for. I have been looking for a quite a bit, and finally found a car I felt to be a suitable replacement. I went to Bob Dunn Hyundai and test drove a 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited in Indigo Blue Pearl with tan leather. I negotiated, and got $12,000 for my 2012 Kia Soul + with leather seats, and got the Elantra for $3,000 under sticker including tax, tags, and dealer fee. I am going to miss my Soul, but am looking forward to my future with my new Elantra. I'll still hang around the forums, and might occasionally chime in on posts.
-Michael
View attachment 36826
Did you try out the 201 Soul to see if it provided more support? What do you mean that the Elantra provides more support?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you try out the 201 Soul to see if it provided more support? What do you mean that the Elantra provides more support?
Honestly, I wanted something different. Im sure the 2014 soul has better seats than the 2012, but I did not look into it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ok, I read your post as saying that the 2014 Soul did not work for you and wondered in what way. Makes sense now. Congrats on the Elantra!
Now you just need to change your Avatar to reflect it!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
congrats and good luck with the new set of wheels, just wondered why you might not have gone for the Forte sedan if you were considering a regular compact vehicle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
congrats and good luck with the new set of wheels, just wondered why you might not have gone for the Forte sedan if you were considering a regular compact vehicle.
I did not consider the forte, as it received a poor in the new crash test. With the elantra, my monthly insurance goes down by $90 a month (I'm a teenage driver and my insurance is like a car payment)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Interesting your insurance goes down so much...when I compared insurance rates, the Soul was less than most sedans but more than Ford Cmax, & about the same as SUVs. You certainly will be happy saving on insurance AND gas...you're gonna feel rich!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was looking at the Elantra too, but I came across the Soul and fell in love right away. Good luck with your new Hyundai! My partner has the 2012 Accent SE, and we absolutely love it!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was getting 43 MPG on my way to school today. The gas, and insurance savings are really going to help my mom and I out.
Interesting your insurance goes down so much...when I compared insurance rates, the Soul was less than most sedans but more than Ford Cmax, & about the same as SUVs. You certainly will be happy saving on insurance AND gas...you're gonna feel rich!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Enjoy your 2014 Soul.
I was looking at the Elantra too, but I came across the Soul and fell in love right away. Good luck with your new Hyundai! My partner has the 2012 Accent SE, and we absolutely love it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure if the earlier models have it but with the 2014 soul the front headrests slide forwards in an accident to meet your head. I think that might mean you have to head on something yourself for that to happen.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm not sure if the earlier models have it but with the 2014 soul the front headrests slide forwards in an accident to meet your head. I think that might mean you have to head on something yourself for that to happen.
Active headrest restraints were standard on the 2008 (and a half) Hyundai Tucson so suspect older Kias would have them but may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts