Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just traded my manual 2011 Soul+ for a Mazda3 sedan iTouring skyactiv automatic. They gave me $14,250 in trade, while I still paid bottom dollar for the Mazda with 1.9% for 60 months. I got the Mazda for $18,249 (excluding only tags/tax/$200 processing), whereas TrueCar has it listed in the lower $19,000s. This was President’s Day I bought it and I think they really wanted to move some cars that day. A couple months ago CarMax offered only $13,500 for my Soul.

The Soul was in very good/clean condition, had ~16,000 miles on it, had the factory audio upgrade package, an aftermarket sunroof, a spoiler, plus small stuff like the bumper protector, metal sport pedals, etc. The windshield had a small ding in it that had been repaired, but was still very visible. The dealership didn’t say anything about that ding (not sure if they noticed it). One major upgrade that I’m sure didn’t add any to my trade value is I did the OEM sport shifter upgrade with the KJB bushings. The dealership guy who test drove my car did immediately ask if I shortened the shifter after he drove it. Whoever buys my Soul will appreciate that though….that shifter felt just plain awesome.

As I’ve griped on here before, I was just not happy with the way the Soul drove on the highway and the MPG is pretty bad given the Soul’s size and power. I think I would have been perfectly happy with a 2012 Soul though, with the new powertrain. My overall feeling on my Soul was that I really liked many aspects of it, while also really disliking a couple things. Those couple dislikes just stuck in my craw and prevented me from really enjoying the car.

My immediate reaction to being in my Mazda3 after driving the Soul for 1.5 years is refinement is way up and space is down. The 3 has clearly superior materials in the interior and drives really nice. That said, I have a renewed appreciation for the amount of space the Soul provides within the small car segment. The 3’s back seat is much more cramped. Also, the Soul’s stereo controls are much simpler and the sound was better than in the 3 (I didn’t get Mazda’s Bose upgrade). I’ve only put about 40 miles on the 3 so far, so it’s too early to tell if real-world MPGs are living up to what is promised. Assuming no major problems arise with the 3 and I get the great gas mileage that's advertised, I’m very happy with my choice to trade…the Mazda 3 is just a much more balanced, well-engineered machine than the 1st gen Soul. I expect to keep it well past my 5 year loan period.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Enjoy the car Alky and stay around, your posts were always honest and valuable to new owners.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
agree - please do stick around - and, keep us updated on the mazda -

i think the main thing that bugs me about mazda is that virtually every model they make runs around all day long with that phoney politician smile - i keep expecting each mazda i see to come up to me and try to shake my hand -

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ yes, I read constant complaints about the smiling grill but for some reason it doesn't look that bad to me. Also, the smile was toned down for 2012. The fact that it is for aerodynomics and has a purpose makes me more forgiving of it as well.

The new 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe has a similiar front grill design, but doesn't quite give the image of smiling like Mazdas do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I were to trade my soul, I'd expect to at least become a mega-rich rock star, or something along those lines. I mean, a Mazda 3 is great. But we are talking about eternity, here...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add that my insurance is now $65.00 higher every 6 months with the Mazda.

This coincides with a new article on leftlanenews about the cars with the lowest total cost of ownership (where the Soul is ranked one of the cheapest):

The Soul’s value proposition takes a hit with $8,621 worth of depreciation, but the compact is extremely affordable to live with in all other categories – including $3,695 in insurance costs, the lowest in the survey

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Hope you enjoy your Mazda 3 just as you enjoyed your Soul Alky... All the best to you.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
congratulations on the new ride Alky but you know the Mazda won't get what they claim, but should be better than the Soul due to its shape and lower profile.
Just read a write up on a Canadian website on the 2012 Mazda 3 GS Skyactive with auto, rating is 7.1/100 km city and 4.9 highway, there test average was 7.8 - 9.5 over a four day period.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went the other way. Trading in my '12 Hyundai Accent for a '12 Shadow Soul+. After driving my wifes new '12 Silver Soul ! 120 miles,I fell in love. Sitting up high/easy in/out,better audio,outside temp readout,sliding/lighted visors,quieter/smoother,roomier,better headlights,can see the hood,no oil diluting/tailpipe sooting GDI.
I took a $3200+ beating trading in a 7 month old/40,042 mile vehicle,and will take a 4-6 mpg penalty,but I was financially able & couldn't deny myself driving what seems a near perfect vehicle. I may not be going back to my courier job after my current health problems heal,so the mpg won't be as important.
My brother thought I was CRAZY till he drove my Soul about 25 miles on various roads yesterday. He's IMPRESSED! Now he needs to convince his ''Import'' hating wife.(They NEED a new vehicle).
Yep,conwelpic,I have TWO new Souls in a week! Zeiser Kia is Very happy with me.:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I forgot to add that my insurance is now $65.00 higher every 6 months with the Mazda.

This coincides with a new article on leftlanenews about the cars with the lowest total cost of ownership (where the Soul is ranked one of the cheapest):

The Soul’s value proposition takes a hit with $8,621 worth of depreciation, but the compact is extremely affordable to live with in all other categories – including $3,695 in insurance costs, the lowest in the survey
My insurance went up around $5 a month when I went from the Soul to the Veloster. I was a bit worried that I got $13,500 when I traded the Soul, but that doesn't seem that far off from what people seem to be getting for the 2011.

Enjoy your Mazda, let us know what your mpg averages out to be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My insurance gal SAYS my rate will drop from $714 (6 mos) for the '12 Accent SE to $529 for the '12 Soul+. That will be fine by me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts