Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really enjoying my third soul.

Started with a 2013, 2016, and now the 2020. Looking at the window stickers the 2020 was only $1,000 more than my 2016.

Still getting used to all of the new safety features.

Digging the heads up display and wireless charging shelf.

Took the only Turbo the dealership had... Cherry Black exterior with the black interior. I do enjoy having the red interior bits to break up the all black look.

Window tinting scheduled near the end of the month. Can’t wait to cut down on the heat.

·
Registered
604 Posts
How are you liking the DCT? I could live with the jerkiness if it meant I was getting the performance of a DCT PLUS the durability of a conventional transmission. I don't see the DCT lasting over 100,000 miles if driven even a little spirited. Also, try a few tanks of premium.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far so good. I have noticed the slight hesitation from a dead stop but other than that I am really amazed with this 2020.

So far the only thing I have modified are the license plate lights... swapped them out for my led bulbs. Thinking about mud guards/flaps next.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not as much as I thought I would. I have discovered that with each generation of Soul I have owned Kia adds,/removes various features. The biggest trade off with this generation is a much quieter interior and seats that hug you more.

Do you miss the leather & the panoramic sunroof?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I thought I would miss the roof more than I do also. But my last 2 with the pano roofs had all black interiors. The light grey in the upper half of the interior of the new soul helps alleviate the 'cave' feeling even without a full pano roof.

·
Registered
604 Posts
One thing I miss about my Turbo is being able to overtake vehicles like base Camrys, Accords, etc. How are you enjoying punching above your class? My favorite had to be overtaking drivers of PU trucks. For some reason a lot of those drivers feel that just because they have a V-8 that it can pass most other cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The little turbo is surprisingly quick. Surprisingly, it's the second quickest vehicle Kia makes currently, the only one that is quicker is the twin turbo v6 stinger. Yep, our 2020 turbo soul is quicker than the v8 k900, Cadenzas, the turbo Optimas, etc.
In fact, here's a fun one, it's even quicker than a 1968 Dodge Charger RT 440 (both auto and manual).
Makes me smile thinking about that while driving along and getting more than 30 mpg.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The little turbo is surprisingly quick. Surprisingly, it's the second quickest vehicle Kia makes currently, the only one that is quicker is the twin turbo v6 stinger. Yep, our 2020 turbo soul is quicker than the v8 k900, Cadenzas, the turbo Optimas, etc.
In fact, here's a fun one, it's even quicker than a 1968 Dodge Charger RT 440 (both auto and manual).
Makes me smile thinking about that while driving along and getting more than 30 mpg.
I really shocked some of my Uber passengers with how quick it was. I even surprised one of my co-workers who has a Golf-R. When comparing it to my SS (450 HP), I found that I'd get pulled into my seat a little more with the 1.6t. I've heard some people say that it's just the nature of FWD vs RWD, but I think it does give me a little more G force for a brief period, where the NA V8 just pulls hard for longer. If the DCT was more durable for me, I would've had no problem getting back into the Turbo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wonder what the torque curve between the 2 would look like, but I would guess the LS in your SS is ahead of the 1.6 all the way through the rev band.
I think it has to do with gearing. 1st gear is crazy short on the dct, and 2nd isn't much better.
It sucks you had such a bad experience with your last turbo, I know 1st is a shorter ratio this year, maybe that's why I don't feel the 'jerkiness' everyone talks about.
As for handling more power, I know there's plenty of room left on it. The turbo velosters are having fun with it, and there have been a few souls tweaked north of 250 whp with no trans failures.
That being said, I do like your EX, it's really nice and has all the toys, and hey, you've got the ss for play time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wonder what the torque curve between the 2 would look like, but I would guess the LS in your SS is ahead of the 1.6 all the way through the rev band.
I think it has to do with gearing. 1st gear is crazy short on the dct, and 2nd isn't much better.
It sucks you had such a bad experience with your last turbo, I know 1st is a shorter ratio this year, maybe that's why I don't feel the 'jerkiness' everyone talks about.
As for handling more power, I know there's plenty of room left on it. The turbo velosters are having fun with it, and there have been a few souls tweaked north of 250 whp with no trans failures.
That being said, I do like your EX, it's really nice and has all the toys, and hey, you've got the ss for play time.
What was fun in the Soul is when basic cars would underestimate what your car was capable of. I also have to confess, I sometimes had to poke at my fellow lesser Soul brothers and sisters. Granted, a lot of them were blue haired or silver haired folks. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
What was fun in the Soul is when basic cars would underestimate what your car was capable of. I also have to confess, I sometimes had to poke at my fellow lesser Soul brothers and sisters. Granted, a lot of them were blue haired or silver haired folks. :D
Oh, I understand that completely, and may be guilty of the same. ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh, I understand that completely, and may be guilty of the same. ;)

I just got my latest copy of Car & Driver, and I hate that they warn people away from the Turbo unit mostly because of the DCT. I bet C&D would put the Soul in its top 10 list if they put a 6-speed manual in the Turbo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sadly, if people are having issue with the way a dct drives (and that seems to be the complaint, you are one of the unfortunate few that had actual reliability problems, TXS, and that really does suck). I'd hate to see how they'd react to driving a manual. But, I agree it should be offered. And honestly, I wouldn't have gotten it with a stick since it's my daily. It's the thing that steered me away from the velocter n (besides my love of the Soul), if they had a dct in it it would have been a much harder choice, that is a pretty special little car. I was going to go with a Kona 1.6t, until they announced the GT-Line turbo soul.
If I'm driving for fun, I want a manual. If I'm sitting in bumper to bumper 3 hours a day, I want it to do the shifting, lol.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just got my latest copy of Car & Driver, and I hate that they warn people away from the Turbo unit mostly because of the DCT. I bet C&D would put the Soul in its top 10 list if they put a 6-speed manual in the Turbo.
I once had a turbo car, with four on the floor, and I'm here to tell you that manual transmissions and turbos don't play nice together. I had the clutch replaced three times in that little car. My next car had an automatic. Nuff said there!
That was in 1990 and I've only had AT's since then. Oh yes, I remember how to manually shift gears, but I'm just so glad that I don't have to.

The new IVT that Kia is now using in the soul is smooth as silk and can get me from zero to eighty mph in just a few seconds. It's scary!
(and I still don't have my K&N Air Cleaner yet)

Happy Memorial Day!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So... not two weeks into owning my new Soul I was hit with flying metal debris.

Dropped off at the body shop today.

Hoping for a speedy fix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh no! Looks like just the bumper cap (hard to tell with the glare on my screen)?
Went through similar about a month into driving my 1st soul. took out the bumper cap, fog light and housing, and license plate.
I hope they can turn it around quickly for you!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh no! Looks like just the bumper cap (hard to tell with the glare on my screen)?
Went through similar about a month into driving my 1st soul. took out the bumper cap, fog light and housing, and license plate.
I hope they can turn it around quickly for you!
Should have it back next Tuesday. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts