Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researching Sportages for years. After test driving more than 5 over the last 2 years,we traded our '12 Silver ! for a '14 Signal Red LX AWD w/convenience pkg. Two days/312 miles and my wife and I are in love with this cuv. She was very upset with me that I wanted her to ''look'' at the Sportage yesterday,but softened when she saw the awesome red color and was hooked after a 12 mile test drive. It DOES look very good up close,rides and handles very nicely,and is about half as loud in road/engine noise as the '12 Soul. Avg mlg looks to be about 25 so far,but I'll report after some more checks.

I still have my '12 Shadow Soul+ with 122,120 miles that I drive for work and intend to drive to over 350,000 miles if this job(and it) lasts. We love our Souls,but I am a ''car-aholic'' and am always looking at something different that seems to make sense. The ''concept-car'' styling of the current Sportage always intrigued me.

The '14 Sportages now have the GDI 2.4 which feels just enough more peppy to power the heavier AWD. I drove a new SX Turbo AWD and maybe it needed to have more miles on it than 18,but it didn't feel that zippy or linear. GOOD,because I got the LX for $9000 difference trading the ! with 13,215 miles. The SX was not loaded at $29760,but would've been about $3700 more. I would have surely considered an EX AWD at about $1800 over the LX,but there were none within 100 miles.

The new Soul may ride better/quieter,but there's no AWD-which helps even in wet weather-and I needed a car that that I LIKE the styling of,not just one I appreciate the styling of.

Not downing the Soul at all,but if anyone is considering a Sportage,there currently are better incentives on them than I've seen before(at least in my area),and we like ours more every time we drive it. Plus,Kia doesn't bring many to the US-they push the US built Sorento-so seeing a Sportage is as rare as seeing Souls used to be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The SX is definitely an improvement over the base. I think you missed flooring it. There is no comparison, and yo feel the extra 40 some percent power. (250vs17X).
The only downsides to the 2.0L turbo is the gas consumption and the extra price (Highway consumption is good, city sucks). When the turbo kicks in, you really end up going! In winter driving you have to be careful not to floor it too much, or you get all the power and you just slide all over.

If I had to choose 1 car out of all the ones we have, I would choose the SX sportage (Soul, Mazdaspeed). It's the compromise between power and convenience.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would agree the SX AWD should be a near perfect all around vehicle. But,I will be 60 in a few months and am trying to be practical,keep my drivers license/decent insurance,and get the best mpg. Also,as a former mechanic,I prefer things simple under the hood. I did punch the LX at 70 mph and it seemed to hit 90 as quickly as my Soul,which I think is pretty quick. (Maybe I have been driving 4 cyls TOO long!)

I haven't run the LX hard otherwise yet. It sure runs/shifts nicely under light to medium throttle and the whole car,especially the interior,looks better all the time.

So many reviewers say the Sportage has wind/road noise and a rough-ish ride. Maybe the '14's are improved,but ours is very quiet overall. And it's 'firm-ish' ride sure lets it handle like few other cuv's.

I test drove a '14 Jeep Cherokee V/6 when they first came out. It was a slow,rough shifting,heavy,unresponsive,expensive disappointment IMO. Made the Sportage feel very ''sporty''. Cheers,Bill

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am a car guy as well so I sympathize :) . If I had the room I'd have about 8 different cars (my wife recently tempted me of moving with a house that has a 6 car garage!), but where I am now 3 is pretty much the limit without playing musical cars since I keep my daily driver garaged.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Right now if I had a 6 car garage I think all six might be Soul's! I had a loaner Sorrento and hated it. The sportage seems a small persons car. If it could not be another Soul I just do not know what I would want.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A ''small persons car''? Nay,nay. I can slide my Sportage driver seat back at least 4'' further back than my '12 Soul+ seat will go. The car is 12'' longer and 3'' wider than the Soul. It DOES weigh almost 600 lbs more w/AWD,but the torqier 2.4 helps negate that.

I agree the Sorento is like a tank,as are most cuv/suv vehicles. Many people like the isolated drive. I do not.

The Soul has shown me the pleasures of a quick handling/responsive vehicle and the independent rear suspension,other refinements of the Sportage take that feel and polish off the edges for a very neat driving vehicle.

Yep,a Sportage is a bit more than a Soul,but with $500 rebate and $1000 Kia finance cash in my area,the diff ain't much.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
the Sportage is the best selling Kia model in Ireland and the UK :sneakiness:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And Sportage just got JD power's 1st place for initial satisfaction in Germany. US sales figures are also up. Not to blab on and on,but test drive a Sportage next time you're at the dealer or just curious. Another very unique Kia!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts