Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the IVT failures, I wanted to see if everyone would like to track the ISG failures for reference and possible future legal ramifications with KIA in terms of recalls, lemon laws, reimbursements, etc. (if both these failures keep happening, which I sure hope they don't). I had already created a spreadsheet for the IVT failures and I made some changes to that, plus I added another tab for keeping track of the ISG failures. I haven't added any private information like VIN #'s, names or addresses, because we don't need that yet and I don't think it's smart to even list your VIN since that could show up in the future if you're selling your vehicle. You don't want someone to find that you had all these issues, then they may not want to buy your car.

Take a look and see what you think, of course changes can be made if needed: 2020 KIA Soul Failure Logs

If we like this and with the blessing of the moderators, we can create a separate thread with this spreadsheet link and then have everyone post the details as a reply - IMHO there are no other discussions needed in that thread, it would just be used to TRACK all failures so we can see how much of an issue this is and how it is being handled by KIA. The spreadsheet should stay locked down, since we don't want information to 'accidentally' be wiped and possibly be accessed and changed by individuals trying to sabotage the information for nefarious reasons.

Please let me know what you think and please moderators let me/us know if this is allowed and something you agree with. I honestly don't care who enters the information or owns the spreadsheet, I can start off doing it since I went this far and then we can decide if it needs to move to the forum (if there is a space to save files). If not that's fine, I'm just trying to gather the information so we can all benefit from it before we lose that information. So far in the IVT failures I believe these members are already part of the list of failures, so that is a pretty long list already just for members of this forum :

• russ3636
  • bobennett
  • androody
  • theboysul
  • mmassow
  • MDH
  • hardwire
  • MichelleB
  • Shellc13 2020 Space Green
  • Avsmtg81
  • bbslider001
(if you are listed here and that's not the case, please say so and I'll edit that list so your name is not on there; I just took a list that someone posted and added the ones I've seen through the few threads that members acknowledged they had the failures)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LOL. No replies. I still updated the sheet with some that posted their failures. Probably gonna stop of there's no interest.

Reactions: mikewo6o

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,592 Posts
This could probably be updated with the IVT and DCT. Nice sheet, but nobody's been here for a while.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This could probably be updated with the IVT and DCT. Nice sheet, but nobody's been here for a while.
I'll keep trying to update it, because I think it's worthwhile. They may not be posting here, but they are in other threads. In regards to DCT issues; I've got enough trouble trying to collect the IVT information so I think I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
Thanks daily for tracking this info. I've noticed some more reports over at NHTSA.

2020 KIA SOUL SUV FWD

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
784 Posts
Thanks daily for tracking this info. I've noticed some more reports at NHSTA.

2020 KIA SOUL SUV FWD

Only 25 total complaints? Am I reading this right?
Are owners only complaining here instead of there, where it might make a difference? ?

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
797 Posts
Are owners only complaining here instead of there, where it might make a difference? ?
A Google search for 2020 Kia Soul transmission failure, trouble, problem, attracts this site as front page reference for the issue. Right under the NHTSA. That's a lot of gravity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this is a great idea! Especially if this becomes a larger issue. In my complaint on line 8, you can update the build date to 1/19, and the dealer provided a loaner vehicle. Thanks for keeping track of all of this.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My Kia dealer is selling new Souls like hotcakes at a Lion's Club Breakfast, and when I questioned them, they said that they have not seen any IVT failures.
I will question them in more depth when I go in next month for my third Oil Change.
At 8500 miles, my own IVT, and the rest of the car, is working GRRRRRREAT!

:cool:

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
My Kia dealer is selling new Souls like hotcakes at a Lion's Club Breakfast, and when I questioned them, they said that they have not seen any IVT failures.
I will question them in more depth when I go in next month for my third Oil Change.

Well if a salesman said it, it must be true gosh darnit!

Now I have a hankerin for hotcakes. Mmmm...mmmm.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
63 Posts
Well if a salesman said it, it must be true gosh darnit!

Now I have a hankerin for hotcakes. Mmmm...mmmm.
Ya, breakfast time here too... Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience when we traded our 2015 for the 2020 LX. While we were doing the final dance on the papers both the salesguy and one of the service people were there and I politely mentioned that I was aware of the potential ISG issue. At that time the much bigger IVT one hadn't really surfaced. The service guy poo-pooed it and threw in a snide comment about forums (his nose may have been slightly out of joint as I found several things they missed on the prep and the salesguy had him deal with them). The sales person on the other hand was much more straightforward and basically said it was an overly complex system for his taste but was on all models and they would make it right under warranty. He knew that we were going to run with it turned off. All in all this dealership has been great, I hope I don't have to test them on the IVT :cautious:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this is a great idea! Especially if this becomes a larger issue. In my complaint on line 8, you can update the build date to 1/19, and the dealer provided a loaner vehicle. Thanks for keeping track of all of this.
Awesome, thanks hardwire, I've added the info. You're definitely starting to see a trend in the build dates. Getting me a little nervous since mine is 02-2019 and so far it appears to be the first 3 months as a little trend there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, don't look now but there are more complaints coming in for the transmission...

Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
10 Posts

Turn your radio off and see if you notice the sound when you release brake at a stop sign when the stop start green light is on

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, don't look now but there are more complaints coming in for the transmission...

Just 5 more. ?
Against how many hundreds of thousands of 2020s on the road? Is the failure rate really this small? It's pretty hard to determine from these forums where it feels as if every other 2020 is experiencing an IVT failure.

I'm just wondering what the failure rate really is, but we'll probably never know. ?

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just 5 more. ?
Against how many hundreds of thousands of 2020s on the road? Is the failure rate really this small? It's pretty hard to determine from these forums where it feels as if every other 2020 is experiencing an IVT failure.

I'm just wondering what the failure rate really is, but we'll probably never know. ?
True, but we just don't know right now. That's the whole point for keeping track now, we don't have enough information yet. The thing is that most people are not part of our forums and it's a fact that most people will never share the failures online; they will simply go to the dealer and get it fixed. But, if we don't do anything, then that's exactly what we get, nothing. If you work together you may just get somewhere and at the least you can point to this as a source and proof if dealers claim nothing is wrong (which has already happened). If you stay silent, then you're on your own if it happens to you. I'd rather band together and hold their feet to the fire, at least we have something to point at. I know it may seem trivial right now, but what if it isn't?

Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
784 Posts
True, but we just don't know right now. That's the whole point for keeping track now, we don't have enough information yet. The thing is that most people are not part of our forums and it's a fact that most people will never share the failures online; they will simply go to the dealer and get it fixed. But, if we don't do anything, then that's exactly what we get, nothing. If you work together you may just get somewhere and at the least you can point to this as a source and proof if dealers claim nothing is wrong (which has already happened). If you stay silent, then you're on your own if it happens to you. I'd rather band together and hold their feet to the fire, at least we have something to point at. I know it may seem trivial right now, but what if it isn't?

You do realize that I'm not arguing with you, don't you? ?

My only complaint is that some owners are only posting there complaints on this forum, where it won't make much difference in the eyes of Kia. When they should be posting their complaints to the NHTSA website where it might make a difference, if enough complaints are made.

If you read through the Gen3 forums over the last 6 months you'd think every 2020 sold is having an IVT failure, but the NHTSA website doesn't really reflect that sentiment, unfortunately. ?

I'm just hoping everyone discussing IVT failures here will take the time to officially add their complaints there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few days after mine failed I went back to the dealer to pick up the loaner vehicle and had a chance to chat with the service adviser. I'd done a little research on the transmission problem at this point so I asked her what she thought the expected failure rate may be since this power train is shared with the 2019 Forte, which by that point was having numerous complaints. She said that they expected to see quite a few of these issues, and that they would just be putting the same flawed transmission back in until Kia came up with some sort of redesign/fix, and there's no telling if or when that would happen. Apparently Kia is very tight lipped with their dealers on this transmission problem. The dealer sends the codes to Kia, Kia says "we'll send a new transmission". No communication of what the actual mechanical problem is. She was breath-takingly honest about the whole thing, and seemed pretty ticked off about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Kia can be tight lipped all they want, if it gets that bad, media will pick up the story and run with it. I'm sure they'd be wanting to get ahead of that kind of bad press that could prevent sales.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Just 5 more. ?

I think it "feels" worse because we are so steeped in KIA issues on this site and get into the nitty gritty of things. You know, like visiting a Glueten Free website, by the time you're finished, you feel like that issue is the most important thing on the planet & can't understand why everyone else isn't talking about it.

I'm amazed when I talk to fellow Soul owners who have never heard of engine fires. When I bring up GDI, most say "what's a GDI?" It's just not a big deal to them. Clearly they are not Forum members.

On a side note, I've noticed they are now selling Seltos at local dealers. The engine appears to be the exact same IVT that is in the 2020 Soul. Connecting the dots.....hope this doesn't go badly for them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts