Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Toyota Announces Corolla Cross

5K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Jennyjo14 
#1 ·
Welp, after the multiple recalls and issues plaguing this gen of Soul, I knew it would be my last one and it would be gone before the warranty expired. Problem is I really wanted to join the Toyota family after the research I did before picking up the SO's Tundra. So they don't have the latest and greatest tech, yeah that kinda sucks, but they are RELIABLE and that's what I'm after. Wasn't a big fan of the C-HR, and didn't want to drop the kind of money needed for a RAV4. Well my wishes may have been granted. They just announced this: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross First Look: The Mini RAV4 Is Here (motortrend.com)

Looks like I found my next car :). By the time the Soul is hitting it's warranty limit, this should be in the wild for 3 years or so and the kinks should be worked out. Here's hoping!

What are your thoughts on the current state of the Soul and it's issues? Would this be next on your radar if you were to jump ship?

#4 ·
Welp, after the multiple recalls and issues plaguing this gen of Soul, I knew it would be my last one and it would be gone before the warranty expired. Problem is I really wanted to join the Toyota family after the research I did before picking up the SO's Tundra. So they don't have the latest and greatest tech, yeah that kinda sucks, but they are RELIABLE and that's what I'm after. Wasn't a big fan of the C-HR, and didn't want to drop the kind of money needed for a RAV4. Well my wishes may have been granted. They just announced this: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross First Look: The Mini RAV4 Is Here (motortrend.com)

Looks like I found my next car :). By the time the Soul is hitting it's warranty limit, this should be in the wild for 3 years or so and the kinks should be worked out. Here's hoping!

What are your thoughts on the current state of the Soul and it's issues? Would this be next on your radar if you were to jump ship?
Not me. I'll drive my Soul into the dirt. I don't change vehicles very often; I've been in this Soul for 9 years so far. Had my last truck for 10 years before trading and will probably have this one for 15.

#5 ·
#7 ·
4,400 isn't that many in the grand scheme, and their fix is already in place. This is why I don't like first gens. I broke my own rule with the new 2020 Soul and there seem to be a few bugs they've yet to sort. Definitely not getting the Cross as soon as it comes out. I want to keep the Soul if I can as long as possible but I just don't trust it after the warranty is expired.

#6 ·
Nice choice MotoChooch. Not wearing a TGDI / GDI engine.

#8 ·

Looks like a really smart move by Toyota, especially considering what a bomb their C-HR turned out to be. And as I was looking in that class when I bought my Soul (top competitor for me was the Corolla sedan, except that it was a low strung sedan) that makes this new one what could be my perfect fit... well, except that the price is way above my 2021 Soul LX, and I totally love the Soul. I suspect that Soul drivetrain issues are disappearing, as Kia seems majorly committed to catching up to Toyota on all fronts, while Toyota has slipped a bit in quality. I find that my Soul's CVT (compared to my 2016 Corolla CVT) is almost like a normal automatic from 0mph, while the launch gear design seems like a complex gimmick. I see the biggest advantage to the Toyota is that it will surely have an independent rear suspension, which is my biggest letdown with the Soul, especially as they have it on the EV (which oddly they aren't selling in the US).
Thanks for the heads up, now I can go check out what I'll probably never buy but may allow to nag at me for years. :rolleyes:

#14 · (Edited)
Of course, as long as the moderators are ok with it. I suspect there's a number of us that are open to suggestions on what we could replace our Soul (lemons) with. Somehow, that doesn't sound quite right.

I tried out the new VW Taos this week, and thought it drove like a bouncy truck. Toyota RAV4 Hybrids weren't available, and I tried out a Toyota Venza LE instead. Very nice. Just expensive as quietguy noted. Surprisingly, Honda CR-V also drove kind of truck-like. Just sat in a 2022 Hyundai Tucson and didn't like the ergonomics. 2021 Nissan Rogue is next.

I have a few weeks before I get my Soul back to find a replacement. Of course, I'll likely fail to find something that I like to drive as much as my Lemon. The Kia Niro seems to be a close, and even better ride. but it's a Kia. The Hyundai Venue was a fun drive when I tried it out last year. But the Lemon had better features. And the Venue is in from the same citrus fruit car family. Along with the Kona, which also had a nice ride.

(Sidebar rant: why is it taking three weeks to replace my engine - didn't Kia know they had a disaster looming and why didn't they stockpile engines ahead of time).

#15 ·
Of course, as long as the moderators are ok with it. I suspect there's a number of us that are open to suggestions on what we could replace our Soul (lemons) with. Somehow, that doesn't sound quite right.

I tried out the new VW Taos this week, and thought it drove like a bouncy truck. Toyota RAV4 Hybrids weren't available, and I tried out a Toyota Venza LE instead. Very nice. Just expensive as quietguy noted. Surprisingly, Honda CR-V also drove kind of truck-like. Just sat in a 2022 Hyundai Tucson and didn't like the ergonomics. 2021 Nissan Rogue is next.

I have a few weeks before I get my Soul back to find a replacement. Of course, I'll likely fail to find something that I like to drive as much as my Lemon. The Kia Niro seems to be a close, and even better ride. but it's a Kia. The Hyundai Venue was a fun drive when I tried it out last year. But the Lemon had better features. And the Venue is in from the same citrus fruit car family. Along with the Kona, which also had a nice ride.

(Sidebar rant: why is it taking three weeks to replace my engine - didn't Kia know they had a disaster looming and why didn't they stockpile engines ahead of time).
Most likely by the time they knew they had a serious problem, stockpiling --which requires production-- was not a possibility. Then there's the slow boat from the orient.

Anyway, since these problems are on a very small percentage of Souls, you could consider yourself on high ground once you get it back, and presume it will be reliable, as the odds are highly in favor of. Presuming you actually like the car for the same reasons you bought it, changing would be like 'biting your nose to spike your face'. Kia won't know the difference, or care, if you switch brands.

#17 · (Edited)
Some comments.

I am pretty sure most of us would like to see comparative analysis with Soul substitutes. The site owners want happy, verbose posters who keep coming back. No conflict there.

Yes, the 3rd generation Souls are having issues with some big ticket items that fail early in their careers. If those items get fixed by Kia and then those autos otherwise behave well, I see no reason to not own the Soul well beyond the warranty.

Are the usual wear items wearing faster than they do on 2nd generation Souls and other vehicles? I don't think so. Once any vehicle goes beyond let's say 100K miles, there will be wear items to replace. Replacing them in a timely fashion is far more cost effective than buying a brand spanking new vehicle.

Keep in mind that auto manufacturers are under enormous regulatory and competitive pressures to increase efficiency and reduce per unit emissions. That tips the risk auto owners face in the direction of brand new vehicles.

Staying back a bit from the bleeding edge of technology and commercial innovation strikes me as smart risk, cost-effective management. Let the proud owners of the latest and greatest take the personal testing & evaluation hit.

#25 ·

Based on your avatar, I'd double check the news that Toyota has been generating of late. I won't mention it here as it's political in nature and politics should be kept out, but do your homework, and it's a shame that you're having the issues you're having with your Soul, as I think the engine/transmission issues are the only things that are holding back the Soul from being an all-star, even though Motor Trend already insists it's an all-star.

#27 ·
Still haven't had a chance to drive a RAV4 hybrid. But at least was able to drive a gas-only RAV4 and thought it was just ok. Unlike, the gas-only Corolla LE, which I liked much more than I expected. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test drive a Corolla Hybrid, to see if I prefer the hybrid. But right now, a Corolla is surprisingly at the top of the list to replace my lemon citrus flavored-Soul EX, which I won't be getting back from it's engine replacement until next week.

#29 ·
If you were to keep that Kia a lifetime, you would wish it was low-tech. Most every vehicle that's mid/high-tech these days, will have all kinds of gizmoes breaking down, in the 17-19 years of ownership that I'm accustomed to.

Bravo to Toyota for cutting the $$$ losses on repairs / replacement parts needed over a lifetime.

.... and why would anyone here compare a Nissan Rogue to a Kia Soul? That's like comparing a FWD Ford Escape to an AWD Chevrolet Traverse.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: nevets2968
#30 · (Edited)
Corolla Hybrid LE seems to be at the top of my list. Much better ride than the gas-only Corolla.

Kia Niro LXS still hasn't moved from the top of the rankings either. As noted above, I also looked at a number of other cross-overs a little larger than my Soul. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that other than the Toyota Venza, I didn't particularly like any of them. I've been through this drill before and always seemed to prefer a Kia Soul over the larger cross-overs, or any of the other small cross-overs. Kia really had a good thing going and pretty much blew it - to me at least - with this massive quality fiasco. It's baffling how a new car could be designed and manufactured - today - that ends up needing engine and transmission (for others) replacements after only about a year. 👎

I'm supposed to get my Kia back - with it's new engine - next week, and then I'll decide what to do. And I'm assuming that Kia corporate isn't going to step in yet to make things right - until it's a three times the charm problem crops up. Number 1 problem, that about left me stranded, was my starter going out.

#33 ·

Considering the Toyota Corolla Cross as well, except I'm not getting bent over at the dealership and paying over what it's worth. Wait until the chip shortage is over and hold out for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.