Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, after the multiple recalls and issues plaguing this gen of Soul, I knew it would be my last one and it would be gone before the warranty expired. Problem is I really wanted to join the Toyota family after the research I did before picking up the SO's Tundra. So they don't have the latest and greatest tech, yeah that kinda sucks, but they are RELIABLE and that's what I'm after. Wasn't a big fan of the C-HR, and didn't want to drop the kind of money needed for a RAV4. Well my wishes may have been granted. They just announced this: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross First Look: The Mini RAV4 Is Here (motortrend.com)

Looks like I found my next car :). By the time the Soul is hitting it's warranty limit, this should be in the wild for 3 years or so and the kinks should be worked out. Here's hoping!

What are your thoughts on the current state of the Soul and it's issues? Would this be next on your radar if you were to jump ship?

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX Undercover Green
38 Posts
For me my next vehicle in 4 or 5 years. If I had to choose now either Kia Seltos, Subaru Crosstrek, then maybe the Toyota Corolla Cross. Maybe a Kona. I will be making the move to an all wheel drive with my next one.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welp, after the multiple recalls and issues plaguing this gen of Soul, I knew it would be my last one and it would be gone before the warranty expired. Problem is I really wanted to join the Toyota family after the research I did before picking up the SO's Tundra. So they don't have the latest and greatest tech, yeah that kinda sucks, but they are RELIABLE and that's what I'm after. Wasn't a big fan of the C-HR, and didn't want to drop the kind of money needed for a RAV4. Well my wishes may have been granted. They just announced this: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross First Look: The Mini RAV4 Is Here (motortrend.com)

Looks like I found my next car :). By the time the Soul is hitting it's warranty limit, this should be in the wild for 3 years or so and the kinks should be worked out. Here's hoping!

What are your thoughts on the current state of the Soul and it's issues? Would this be next on your radar if you were to jump ship?
Not me. I'll drive my Soul into the dirt. I don't change vehicles very often; I've been in this Soul for 9 years so far. Had my last truck for 10 years before trading and will probably have this one for 15.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice choice MotoChooch. Not wearing a TGDI / GDI engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be sure to go into it with open eyes. Toyotas dynamic force transmission (CVT w/launch gear) has been far from trouble free for them.

Using this transmission across the Cross line is a deal breaker for me. I was hoping they'd use the RAV 4 automatic.

Toyota Recalls Nearly 4,400 Corolla Hatchbacks Due to Major Transmission Issue | MotorSafety.org
4,400 isn't that many in the grand scheme, and their fix is already in place. This is why I don't like first gens. I broke my own rule with the new 2020 Soul and there seem to be a few bugs they've yet to sort. Definitely not getting the Cross as soon as it comes out. I want to keep the Soul if I can as long as possible but I just don't trust it after the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
80 Posts

Looks like a really smart move by Toyota, especially considering what a bomb their C-HR turned out to be. And as I was looking in that class when I bought my Soul (top competitor for me was the Corolla sedan, except that it was a low strung sedan) that makes this new one what could be my perfect fit... well, except that the price is way above my 2021 Soul LX, and I totally love the Soul. I suspect that Soul drivetrain issues are disappearing, as Kia seems majorly committed to catching up to Toyota on all fronts, while Toyota has slipped a bit in quality. I find that my Soul's CVT (compared to my 2016 Corolla CVT) is almost like a normal automatic from 0mph, while the launch gear design seems like a complex gimmick. I see the biggest advantage to the Toyota is that it will surely have an independent rear suspension, which is my biggest letdown with the Soul, especially as they have it on the EV (which oddly they aren't selling in the US).
Thanks for the heads up, now I can go check out what I'll probably never buy but may allow to nag at me for years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6L
2 Posts
Thx for putting this on my radar! I will be looking at this as a replacement for my 2013 Base. I use my car as an in-town vehicle, but this would be nice to have too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts