Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m relatively new to the Kia Soul world. I bought my 2010 base 1.6 5 speed with 111,000 miles about 3 months ago. I love it but I’m wondering what it can tow. I have a little aluminum 12ft boat. Not sure how much it weighs but it’s definitely under 1000 pounds. I’m wondering if the Kia can safely tow it because it’s already kind of gutless lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes. HP is no problem. Brakes and the clutch is going to be your weak point here. Europeans tow up to 2k with these cars. With your stick I predict you will be doing some clutch jobs; you will have a lot of trouble getting moving without slipping the clutch. I personally wouldn't tow anything heavier than a couple hundred pounds with my stick. If it was automatic you would be Golden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. HP is no problem. Brakes and the clutch is going to be your weak point here. Europeans tow up to 2k with these cars. With your stick I predict you will be doing some clutch jobs; you will have a lot of trouble getting moving without slipping the clutch. I personally wouldn't tow anything heavier than a couple hundred pounds with my stick. If it was automatic you would be Golden.
I put a new clutch in it about 2000 miles ago. So I think it’ll be a little bit before I have to do another clutch since the one that was in there was factory at 111,000 miles. With towing which won’t be often I think I could get 40,000 out of this one. Thank you! The boat is very light so hopefully it’ll do okay.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I put a new clutch in it about 2000 miles ago. So I think it’ll be a little bit before I have to do another clutch since the one that was in there was factory at 111,000 miles. With towing which won’t be often I think I could get 40,000 out of this one. Thank you! The boat is very light so hopefully it’ll do okay.
If you've got plenty of flat ground you won't have much problem. First gear sucks in these manuals. I'm at almost 160k on original clutch, and it still shifts smooth on the move but first is getting to where it doesn't want to pull from a dead stop if you're on a really steep hill. My driveway is a really steep hill and if I try to pull from a dead stop these days at the bottom into a parking spot, you either have to slip it like hell or you get a lot of lugging. My Miata, by comparison, couldn't care less where I'm starting from. It only has 70k miles on its clutch - I replaced it about 12 years ago in my garage because the pilot bearing was making a racket that I was sick of listening to - but I fully expect that clutch to go another 150k miles easily. I've had manuals all my life and the Soul's manual is easily my least favorite of any I've had - 3-4-5 are great; first is completely out of whack in the torque band, the 1-2 shift sucks because first is too short, and 6th is so gutless I wish they would have left it a 5 speed and set the ratios better. In fact, sometimes I forget to shift into 6th (I have that annoying "eco" light turned off as the suggested shift points suck in the mountains) because there's so little difference between the two and when I am in 6th I'm constantly downshifting to 5 to climb hills or pass cars. In my Miata, once I get over 40 I can shift into 5th and run it without lugging anywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts