Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Soul and my biggest complaint is the less than compliant ride when faced with road imperfections compared to my previous cars. Totally acceptable given the price, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to find ways to improve comfort on rough roads. Still researching aftermarket suspension, but for now I ditched the horrible OEM tires and put on Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires with an 80k tread warranty. Not the cheapest option, but really not very expensive either (especially over the long life of the tire).

MUCH better ride now on rough roads! The tires wallow a bit in hard cornering but they are just so much smoother everywhere else, it makes for a big overall improvement. The Costco tire tech took a double take when he saw they were going on a Soul and said, huh, we don't normally put touring tires on economy cars, let me make sure these will fit. (of course they fit, it's not hard to custom order the correct size tires...) So "economy car" for the win, lol.

I went with the Bridgestones because they had the best reviews for soaking up road imperfections, but Michelin Defenders would also be a top choice (may give up a little bit in comfort, but better traction in adverse conditions) and I think some Continentals may have also received high marks.

As primarily a motorcycle rider, I've learned to always spend the extra money on the best tires possible as that simple change will often make the biggest performance difference of any mod. I think it's fair to say the same applies to cars.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
Thanks averian for the tip on the Touring Tires!

I would think any time that has "Serenity" in it's name would calm things down a bit.

Do you know what the rating is on these tires (eg: "H" or something like that). Also, when you say much better on rough roads, what are we talking about here? Like 20% better? More. Less? Would love your feedback.

Thanks again for your great write up. Any chance you can post a pic of these tires? Treads?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks averian for the tip on the Touring Tires!

I would think any time that has "Serenity" in it's name would calm things down a bit.

Do you know what the rating is on these tires (eg: "H" or something like that). Also, when you say much better on rough roads, what are we talking about here? Like 20% better? More. Less? Would love your feedback.

Thanks again for your great write up. Any chance you can post a pic of these tires? Treads?
Tough question to answer in terms of improvement on rough roads since that is such a subjective measure, but if I had to hazard a number I would say 30% better. I found the new tires soak up the little bumps and imperfections especially well (the smaller stuff that typically causes things to rattle rather than a full suspension stroke). On bigger stuff like medium potholes and railroad tracks, the improvement is still there though not as pronounced, but anything large still makes for a big thump and of course the tires do nothing for the mediocre rebound dampening.

I purchased them in the H rated model, but a higher speed speed rating is available for a few bucks more.

Here is a pic of the tread pattern:

Serenity.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Similar story with me. At about 35K miles, I replaced the originals with General Altimax Rt-43. Much smoother and quieter than stock. I'm getting a set put on a beater 1997 Civic that I bought a few weeks ago to drive to work.

I picked the Generals because they had one of the best snow ratings at Tire Rack for touring tires without going to actual winter tires. They did well last winter. And, they are pretty quiet.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
I did a new swap-out on my 2013 Soul because the stock tires were harsh and loud. I bought Michelin Defenders. I thought I used 215.60.15 but all I see listed is 205.60.15 which are .3" shorter than the 25" stock tires.

Those made a HUGE difference, it was like a different car. Smoother, quieter, vastly improved. Worth it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got as I said in another post.
Contiental Continental Control Trac Touring tires from Discount tire.
They are 1" wider and 1/2" taller.
Better and a little quieter ride.

Best riding tire I've had.

90,000 mile tire.
Got mine at Discount Tire.
They are not everywhere either.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts