Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m like very afraid of car accidents/getting hurt/killed. So much anxiety.
In September I totaled my 05 PT Cruiser in an at-fault accident. I missed a stoplight. I wasn’t even distracted, I just wasn’t looking for it.

It was my first collision with another car and I had been a licensed driver for 10 years. I hit a 2010 Tacoma, I sort of t-boned him. Lost my front bumper and messed up the powered steering.

I recently bought a 2013 ! model. But I’m scared to drive. Obviously I’m always looking for stoplights now, but anything can happen on the road and accidents aren’t always your fault.

How reasonably safe are 2013 + Souls? Compared to the PT Crusiers they get better safety ratings, and they’re close in size/weight (although the Soul is lighter). Obviously even the biggest, heaviest, safest vehicle could get in a bad wreck, but at least you’re less likely to be hurt in a big heavy vehicle.

part of me wanted like a giant truck or SUV or something, but older ones are gas hogs and trucks/SUVs are more expensive than compact cars.

should I be as worried as I am? Obviously being an alert driver is imperative to preventing crashes in the first place, but they’re not always preventable. I just don’t wanna die.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
824 Posts
Sorry for your problems, not really relative here. All I can tell ya is "The Doctor is out".

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
39 Posts
Size does not matter. I had one of those big heavy pickups. I have no doubt that a head on with that truck verse a 30 ton cement truck would not have ended well for the pickup.
Same 30 ton cement truck stuck on railroad tracks will lose to a 60 mph Amtrack train.
So, in the long run you need to pay attention to your surroundings.
Life is always a game of rock, paper, scissors.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
294 Posts
Also, make a point to make it easier to pay attention. Keep your cell phone in the glove box, make sure you have some good presets, or your playlist queued up before you get going, and avoid doing anything else that might be a distraction.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
456 Posts
Remember the 2013 Kia has 7 years of safety improvements over the 05 PT Cruiser. Plus in my opinion a much belter car. As others said, just take your time and be observant. Keep you eyes moving and look as far ahead as you can. The way you can see trouble coming. Avoid fixating on the car right in front of you. And watch your six as well as I am sure you don't want any surprises.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2011 so we have overall the same vehicle. Your basic question is how safe? I would suggest looking at the IIHS HLDI website, (Insurance institute for highway safety) they have been crash testing passenger vehicles for several years. I briefly went to the website and looked up the 2013 which is overall the same as the 2010 – 2012, they have about five different crash test categories. In the “Small overlap front” test the Soul did not do well, (impact from the left side inward to about the distance of the headlamp), all of the other tests it did good, Moderate overlap, side impact, Roof, Head and Seats. Typically, most vehicles are weak in the Small Overlap test area. But as mentioned in previous posts, it all depends on how the two vehicles come together (angle) plus speed and weight. I also went to You Tube and entered 2013 Kia Soul crash testing, and various videos from the Insurance institute were there, but this may be somewhat traumatic if you were recently in a crash. Also looked up the PT Cruiser, I was only able to find testing for the 2008, which did not have Small Overlap testing but in the Moderate Overlap it did well, but in the Head and Restraints it did poorly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
@IcrashedmyPT,

The Soul is a compact car. It is probably not as safe as a 3/4 tonne truck. But it is probably safer than most sub-compacts.

We love our Soul because the boxy design means lots of window space, lots of interior space for my 196 cm carcass, and lots of carrying space when required. Hugs windy mountain roads better than any other compact or smaller car I have driven.

My advice? Pay for professional driving lessons. Shop carefully for the company or person who provides those professional driving lessons.

As for becoming or staying an alert driver, I would recommend lots of physical exercise (hike, run, bike, swim, paddle, row, squash, tennis, etc.), cut back or eliminate substance use (including alcohol) and make sure you get a good night's sleep. The exercise part really helps with the sleep end of things.

P.S. Bravo for taking personal responsibility for the accident. We all sometimes screw up in ways that make a few of us wonder if we should get our heads retrofitted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts