Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the torque settings for the oil drain plug and oil filter.. I can't find it in the manual...thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oil filters have the tightening marked on their body or the box. You can't put a torque wrench on a filter. Usually is like 1/2 to 3/4 turns after they feel seated.
Drain plug? I usually get it hand tight, never used a torque wrench on that bolt.
Eventually use a new gasket if it looks like it leaked. Don't go nuts on that bolt or you can strip the oil pan threads.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The following is from the manual for our 2013 Soul 1.6. I believe the 2.0 at the time was the same. Our Subaru is almost identical. I see no reason why they would have changed that with the new 2.0 engine, but I would check. In the meantime, if you're sitting there with the oil drained and waiting for an answer, I think you are safe with 30 lb/ft. I usually set my torque wrench on 30 lb/ft which is in the upper middle of the drain bolt specs.

For the oil filter, I tell people to use one hand and tighten firmly but not to the point you are making ugly faces and crying for mommy. 11 lb/ft is not much.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Make sure you replace the crush washer, it is called a crush washer so when you tighten the drain plug it gets crushed and is not be re used. I can't tell you how many leaking ones I have seen on a daily basis at the dealership or how many drain plugs I have replaced because people keep cranking the plug because it is leaking because of the old washer. The torque is German spec "guttentight" nothing crazy just nice and tight, use a wrench or short 3/8th ratchet and don't strain to put it on.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Oh for oil capacity on the Gen3 2.0 it is 4.2 to 4.4 for oil and filter change. 1.6 turbo is 3.8ish oil and filter change.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all, thanks for your replies... and that German spec "guttentight" is quite funny! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts