Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I was driving home from dinner in my 2015 soul 2.0L and the engine started making a loud lifter type ticking noise and died. I had it towed to my shop as I am an Rv certified tech and have access to full shop with tools. once the car was at my shop the next day it started but had a horrible top end ticking noise first thought was lifter/adjuster so I replaced them started the engine still making the noise and now it wont start back up. could it be bad VVT gears on the camshafts or is it this metal shaving issue going on and I need a new engine as I am the second owner and the warranty in void will this still be covered under a recall?

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
One and done?

How many miles on the car, how long have you owned it, why do you suspect metal shavings, has there been a low oil event? Noisy lifters can be a sign of low oil pressure. Low to no oil can lead to metal shavings (in any modern engine). If the oil level isn't regularly checked except at changes, it can lead to failure.

Common statements I hear among (especially younger) friends:
"I never look under the hood"
"Which one is the dipstick?"
"When I checked the oil there wasn't anything on the dipstick"
"It only ran out of oil one time"

Sadly you may have bought someone elses problem. I'm starting to wonder if getting an oil analysis done before buying a used Kia engine (especially in the problem years) wouldn't be a bad idea. Not that a properly maintained one won't last a long time, but as a used buyer you roll the dice.

Let us know how your situation works out. That way we can all learn something from you.

All the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts