Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
752 Posts
They look great now, but need some center cap to cover up the rusty center. I tried ordering a wheel cap for a 2012 Kia but it doesn't fit, I think it was designed for rims. Any ideas? View attachment 140166
View attachment 140165
I removed the wheel covers from my steel wheels quite some time ago. I prefer bare steel wheels but mine could use painting.

Nice job. How much / what kind of prep work did you do?

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
752 Posts
....but need some center cap to cover up the rusty center. I tried ordering a wheel cap for a 2012 Kia but it doesn't fit, I think it was designed for rims. Any ideas?
My old pickup had center caps / covers which only covered the center portion of the wheels. They bolted on under the lug nuts - I'd like a Kia version for the steel wheels.

Found this snap-on cover. I'm personally not a fan of snap-on type wheel accessories, hit a pothole and thing might fly off. Plus if it is hard to rmove how carefull will a mechanic be with it.

Automotive lighting Dishware Automotive tire Tableware Rim
Amazon - Hub cover by Phoenix USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so this is very similar to what I had on my pickup
Tableware Automotive lighting Dishware Drinkware Audio equipment
Amazon - Aftermarket Center Caps Hub Cover Fits 15x7 Inch Steel Wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the wheel covers from my steel wheels quite some time ago. I prefer bare steel wheels but mine could use painting.

Nice job. How much / what kind of prep work did you do?
Thanks for the complement! I just spent 10 minutes per wheel sanding out the rusty patches. I live in SoCal, so not too much rust was on them. I then sprayed them with Dawn Powerwash and let it sit on for 10 minutes and then scrubbed them and washed them off and then repeated.

I put playing cards in between the tire and the rim, kind of fanned around the wheel, to keep the plastidip from getting on the tires. This worked really well. Attached a picture of somebody else doing this. If you use plastidip don't overspray on any one coat. If you start seeing a little bubbling, stop immediately with that coat.

Not sure how long the plastidip will hold up before it starts peeling but loving the look!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old pickup had center caps / covers which only covered the center portion of the wheels. They bolted on under the lug nuts - I'd like a Kia version for the steel wheels.

Found this snap-on cover. I'm personally not a fan of snap-on type wheel accessories, hit a pothole and thing might fly off. Plus if it is hard to rmove how carefull will a mechanic be with it.

View attachment 140209 Amazon - Hub cover by Phoenix USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so this is very similar to what I had on my pickup
View attachment 140210 Amazon - Aftermarket Center Caps Hub Cover Fits 15x7 Inch Steel Wheel
Thanks! I just bought the black plastic ones! Will follow up with a picture after they are installed!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
176 Posts
I want to get brave and paint my stock wheels. I do have a set of steelies I ran when I bent the stock wheel on a really bad pothole. Keep us posted on center cap situation :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts