Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Kia Soul Plus at 18,000. I bought it brand new in 2013. I mainly commute to work and school via streets.

I've noticed that I have a slow leak in the front passenger tire. I do rotate my tires. I top off the air in all the tires and two or three weeks later I'm down 20psi. I've examined the tire and I haven't noticed any nails or things of the sort. I live in Southern California, in case that matters because of the weather. I have the stock Nexen tires. Any ideas what it could be?

Also, suggestion on tire brands and models? I'm looking for reasonably priced tires, as I am a more often than not broke college student haha.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
A nail maybe ?

Hell I've pulled everything from a piece of bone to a stud earring out of a tire before .

Take it to a tire store and get it checked

·
Registered
992 Posts
Running 20 psi low can do irrepairable damage to your tire. If $ is an issue you could go cheap and try slime or fix a flat although Faf is technically not for long term use. You could have a valve or bead problem, but most likely nail or screw.

Some nails are hard to find. Pump the tire up and then drizzle soapy water over the tire to look for any air bubbles.
Greg

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
it could have also lost a bit of the bead seal, sometimes remounting the tire can solve that. Take it to a tire shop or local garage and find out the problem and get it fixed before you encounter a serious problem. Unless you have to replace the tire its a cheap fix.

Please fill out your DRIVES details with 2013 Soul Plus, so it shows up each time you post on the left side (see mine and others postings for example)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Running 20 psi low can do irrepairable damage to your tire. If $ is an issue you could go cheap and try slime or fix a flat although Faf is technically not for long term use. You could have a valve or bead problem, but most likely nail or screw.

Some nails are hard to find. Pump the tire up and then drizzle soapy water over the tire to look for any air bubbles.
Greg

While I like the slime product (use it in my bicycles) you can say goodbye to your tpms sensors once that stuff hits the inside of your tires!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have a 2013 Kia Soul Plus at 18,000. I bought it brand new in 2013. I mainly commute to work and school via streets.

I've noticed that I have a slow leak in the front passenger tire. I do rotate my tires. I top off the air in all the tires and two or three weeks later I'm down 20psi. I've examined the tire and I haven't noticed any nails or things of the sort. I live in Southern California, in case that matters because of the weather. I have the stock Nexen tires. Any ideas what it could be?

Also, suggestion on tire brands and models? I'm looking for reasonably priced tires, as I am a more often than not broke college student haha.
Get a little kid's plastic kiddy pool just wide and deep enough to submerge the tire lying on its side. Toss the little kid out, fill the kiddy pool with water, inflate the tire to about 40 psi or so, set the tire in it, and get a fat chick to stand on the tire to hold it down. Look for bubbles. Invert tire if necessary and look again. When you see the bubbles, there's your leak.

As for tire brands, I personally like General Tires. I think they're excellent tires and reasonably priced. If you buy them from Discount Tire, you can get them for even less if you wait for a good rebate. (You'll get great service, too. They're a good outfit.)

I've also have had generally happy experiences with Hankook and Firestone, but I think General has them beat in the overall value department. The Altimax Arctic Studded tires my Soul is currently wearing are without a doubt the best snow tires I've ever driven on. In a couple of weeks they'll be replaced by the General Altimax RT43, which is another tire that I love.

You need to understand, however, that tire opinions (including my own) are highly subjective. Some people have strong preferences in terms of ride, handling, noise, etc. I care mainly about handling. I also want my "summer" tires to be at least reasonably competent in snow in case we get an early blizzard before I can legally mount the snow tires (which does happen from time to time where I live). I doubt that's something you care about in Santa Ana.

Probably your best bet is to call Discount Tire Direct (or visit one of their shops) and talk to a salesman. Seriously. The guys at DTC actually know about tires, so if you explain your needs, preferences, and budget, chances are they can find a good match for you. (And no, I don't work for them or own shares. I'm just a repeat and very happy customer.)

Richard

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Stop driving on streets. There's all sorts of stuff on the streets you can pick up. Some of it is contagious and requires immediate medical help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get a little kid's plastic kiddy pool just wide and deep enough to submerge the tire lying on its side. Toss the little kid out, fill the kiddy pool with water, inflate the tire to about 40 psi or so, set the tire in it, and get a fat chick to stand on the tire to hold it down. Look for bubbles. Invert tire if necessary and look again. When you see the bubbles, there's your leak.

Richard
That's pretty much the best old-school way to find that slow leak. The tire guys will most likely still do it that way. I remember putting tires in those old half round tubs and rotating the tire in water to find the leak.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Take it easy . First unscrew your valve stem cap , fill tire , spit on your index finger (important to use index finger only) put spit on valve stem , look for it to blow u a small bubble , when it does ,get a valve stem tool and tighten it . problem solved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts