Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the latest on my tire drama.

I bought my Soul 6 weeks ago, and discovered that it didn't have a spare or a donut. The dealership told me it would be $250 for a donut, and I guessed I probably didn't want a price on a spare. The service advisor told me it was no big deal because I had Kia Roadside assistance, which would tow me to the nearest Kia dealership. Well that's fine and dandy, but what if it's the middle of the night and the nearest dealer is an hour away in a sketchy neighborhood? How do I get home?

I hunted high and low at tire shops, junk yards and specialty sellers of after market parts. What I found out was that the tire size (205-55-R16) is not rare. The 16 inch rims are not rare. The bolt pattern (5 by 114.3) is not rare. But all of those things in the same wheel? EXTREMELY RARE! I mean good heavens, does nobody junk these things? My friend totaled her 2012 Soul Plus, what did they do with HER tires?

I finally went with a tire off Craig's List against my better judgement and bought a 15 inch spare with the same bolt pattern in size 205-65-15. I figured that if it didn't work, I'd have what I have now, which is nothing.

This morning, I had a flat tire. So I rolled up my window and called Kia. They asked if I had a spare, I said I did but I didn't know for sure if it would work, so could they have the tow driver try the spare first? Instead they sent some yahoo in a car who didn't understand why I wanted the spare on the back and the back tire on the front. (Because it's a different size rim, dummy.) After far too long he announced that the round thing in the middle doesn't match, so my spare is useless. He offers to inflate my tire, an offer I decline because I can see the sidewall tear.

So I call Kia a SECOND TIME. It will take an hour to come see me. Another hour! Did I mention it was now 10 a.m. and I had to be at work by noon?

I call the provider in hopes that the time frame I was given was overly conservative. She can't find my name because Kia gave them the name of Malcolm the Previous Leasee. Once found, she says she'll do her best but it would be a while.

So I call my Kia dealer who tells me tires have no warranty "unless you bought them from us." Um, I bought the WHOLE CAR from you six weeks ago! And Kia will only tow me to the dealer (who no doubt will charge me $500 for one tire.)

I tell the dealer to pound salt and call my secondary roadside provider. The tow guy shows up and my other roadside people say they will reimburse me, so I end up paying for the tow out of my pocket.

That's three calls to two roadside providers. It was a miracle I got to my work meeting by noon.

I'm now looking for reimbursement from Verizon and to sell the Craigslist Tire. That $90 or so will go to the fund to get an after market rim and a used tire and a little peace of mind before I take a road trip a month from today.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
From what I can tell is you told them on your initial call you had a spare tire & needed that put on, so why would they dispatch a full tow truck in this case? When the spare that you purchased didn't fit, you got angry at the poor guy who was just there to put it on.

If you had bought the correct tire, and many of us on the forum bought the tire with tools for about $160, this frustrating situation would have been much less for you. Save a nickel, spend a dime.

Hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The wheel and tire are actually quite common, especially if you don't mind it having something like the mitusbishi logo on it, there are sites on the web that show similar vehicles wheel sizes including rim width, diameter, hub bore, offset, and bolt pattern, anything with a same or larger hub bore and within 15mm offset or more if narrower will fit just fine for a spare. There have been several threads on here about people using wheels off of different vehicles on their soul for a custom look, I spend a lot of time in salvage yards and used to work in one, there are a ton of wheel and tire combinations you can use for spares off of other vehicles for the soul.

And a quick google search netted me several spare tire kits with the jack for the soul for $100 give or take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts