Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been one of the longest members on this forum and probably the most posts, but it's now time to move on.

Yesterday I just made a deal trading in my 2016 Soul SX for a 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD. As I will no longer own a Kia product I don't think it's appropriate for me to post comments on this forum any longer.

It's been an interesting 10 years (almost) and a lot has changed in that time frame, but it seems that many times the same comments and same questions always seem to come back.

Here is my Soul SX parked next the vehicle I just purchase, I take delivery on Tuesday. I was hoping that it would have been the Seltos EX that I would have changed to, but in back to back comparisons of these two vehicles, the CX-30 took my vote (and cash) as being the better value and more closely met my requirements.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
758 Posts
Congrats-looks nice! You will be missed along with your valuable information.. I wouldn't mind if you came back at times to report on your new ride. I totally agree with your 3rd paragraph and my thoughts are: people just don't read or don't take the time to do any research on their own.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
292 Posts
Have enjoyed your posts conwelpic. Good luck with the new wheels.

Don't be afraid to poke your head in and tell us how the Mazda is doing.

Reactions: conwelpic

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Congratulations Trevor on your new Mazda, I wish you years of enjoyment of it. But come on you don't have to leave the forum just because you are no longer a KIA owner. Your experience and knowledge are much appreciated here.

Pat.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
I second what Pat said, your knowledge & experience are much appreciated here Trevor. Your friendship & kindness, while always being a stickler for details, has helped to elevate this to a very successful forum. Thank you for that!

Please keep us posted on the new CX-30 (it looks beautiful) and your thoughts on performance, reliability, durability......well you know what I mean. I for one will be very interested in your take as you rack up the miles on your new Mazda vis-à-vis the Kia Soul experience (dang, I've waited 6 years to use that term!)

All the best to you Trevor :)

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations Trevor on your new Mazda, I wish you years of enjoyment of it. But come on you don't have to leave the forum just because you are no longer a KIA owner. Your experience and knowledge are much appreciated here.

Pat.
thanks Pat, it's been a pleasure to "banter" with you over these last few years. I will check back periodically, hard to let go of a regular daily process. You see I had to match your white Soul :D It was not easy as my wife really liked the red CX-30 finish. I think I got the last of the CX-30's built for 2020 as it was built in June. I believe they are already in production for the 2021 models.

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I second what Pat said, your knowledge & experience are much appreciated here Trevor. Your friendship & kindness, while always being a stickler for details, has helped to elevate this to a very successful forum. Thank you for that!

Please keep us posted on the new CX-30 (it looks beautiful) and your thoughts on performance, reliability, durability......well you know what I mean. I for one will be very interested in your take as you rack up the miles on your new Mazda vis a vis the Kia Soul experience (dang, I've waited 6 years to use that term!)

All the best to you Trevor :)
thanks so much Geo, it also has been a great pleasure in have our "conversations" as we've both put in a lot of posts on this forum between us and hopefully it's been helpful to many members.

I hope the reliability of this Mazda will be as good as the Soul's. I am loosing some features of the Soul that aren't available on the CX-30 GS such as the power folding mirrors and smart key (but it is still push-button start), but gaining quite a bit in the process that more closely meets my requirements (something that the Seltos EX did not. I think there is going to be quite a learning curve for this new vehicle particular with the all the advance safety features it comes with and the extensive amount of information and settings on the display unit. It has the owners manual built into the display for example, very handy.

Here is a couple of other shots I took yesterday, showing the front dash (the white around the shifter is just protective tape and one of the views of the display showing one of my tracks from a USB drive I was testing - great sound through the 8 speakers (standard audio). You can guarantee there will be many detail shots once I get the vehicle home next week.
The dealer told me that once a vehicle is sold it goes back in the shop for a full detail with a clay bar and wax finish before it it gets delivered to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone reading this as any question or curious about anything regarding this particular Mazda I will be glad to provide an answer - if I can.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,580 Posts

Pat.
Yeah. That.

I've stuck around other brand-specific forums though I no longer owned that brand. It's the people. Stick around, conwel, as you please. I'd like to hear more about your Maz, too.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
521 Posts
I second the idea that you come back occasionally to report on your new ride! Congrats, she looks slick!

The wife and I had rented a Mazda 3 a few years ago and we really liked it a lot. (the CX-30 is a Mazda 3 in CUV styling) You really do get a lot of value for your money! When looking for our Soul a Mazda 3 was a consideration, but not many used ones were available. I guess people end up keeping them.

Good luck and enjoy that new ride! 😁

·
Registered
804 Posts
Congrats on the new ride conwelpic!

I have enjoyed reading your posts over there years - loaded with both good information and interest. I'm considering a mid-sized SUV to add to our stable and the CX-9 is on that list (as is the 2021 Sorento). Enjoy your new ride and report back.

We will miss you Bro.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been one of the longest members on this forum and probably the most posts, but it's now time to move on.

Yesterday I just made a deal trading in my 2016 Soul SX for a 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD. As I will no longer own a Kia product I don't think it's appropriate for me to post comments on this forum any longer.

It's been an interesting 10 years (almost) and a lot has changed in that time frame, but it seems that many times the same comments and same questions always seem to come back.

Here is my Soul SX parked next the vehicle I just purchase, I take delivery on Tuesday. I was hoping that it would have been the Seltos EX that I would have changed to, but in back to back comparisons of these two vehicles, the CX-30 took my vote (and cash) as being the better value and more closely met my requirements.

View attachment 134365
oh no dont go... your knowledge of the past is indispensable . continue on...

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
BTW Trevor, that drivers grab handle didn't go unnoticed. Very nice!

Mazda is hitting home runs on it's cabin quality.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2021 Seltos SX T. Lunar Orange
35 Posts
Congrats. The CX-30 is a great car and for me it was also between it and the Seltos albeit in top trims. I ended up with the Seltos for the same reason you chose the Mazda, it more closely met my requirements which can be different for anyone. It was still a very tough choice as the Mazda interior was really calling me.

I may very well have chosen as you did if I was looking at lower trims as that’s where the Mazda shone for me especially since AWD was not a requirement. My space requirement, passenger and cargo, to accommodate elderly parents and young grandchildren might have been the only issue and if that were to disqualify the Mazda I would likely have looked elsewhere altogether if I didn’t want or need the extras that you pay for in the upper trims.

Great choice and like you I’m hoping my first Kia is as dependable as the VW/Audi vehicles I owned over the last many years. I know that many will find that interesting.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
thanks Pat, it's been a pleasure to "banter" with you over these last few years. I will check back periodically, hard to let go of a regular daily process. You see I had to match your white Soul :D It was not easy as my wife really liked the red CX-30 finish. I think I got the last of the CX-30's built for 2020 as it was built in June. I believe they are already in production for the 2021 models.
Oh I noticed that it was white just like my soul😉, It was a colour that I never considered before, I had originally ordered the red. The white was available a lot sooner, I am glad that it did, because the longer I own it the more I like it. I am sure you will love it too. Did you get a good trade price for the soul since you went for a different brand?

Pat.

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW Trevor, that drivers grab handle didn't go unnoticed. Very nice!

Mazda is hitting home runs on it's cabin quality.
when I think back, the missing drivers grab handle in the Soul started this whole ball rolling

Yes, the cabin finish really did it for me, it just felt so much more upscale and the car was very quiet too.

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I noticed that it was white just like my soul😉, It was a colour that I never considered before, I had originally ordered the red. The white was available a lot sooner, I am glad that it did, because the longer I own it the more I like it. I am sure you will love it too. Did you get a good trade price for the soul since you went for a different brand?

Pat.
It took some convincing to my wife, as white was not her first choice, she preferred the red (they happen to call it Soul red too), if it did not have all that black plastic cladding all around it, it probably wouldn't have appealed to me either, but just like the strong contrast between the two.

It took some work to negotiate the trade and probably didn't get the best value (when do you?), but it was close otherwise I wouldn't have done the deal. Also the dealer did not do any padding on the price, there was no documentation fees for example. Also the info on the 2021 CX-30's had just been released a few days back and my specific model had gone up $700 but did not see any difference in features, but they did drop the price of the AWD by $500 it would appear.
I think my model was probably on the very last run of 2020 models as it was built in June. The 2021 are suppose to be arriving at dealers next month (at least in the US).

In my research I was doing comparison photos between my Soul and the CX-30. Here's one on the engine comparison.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
when I think back, the missing drivers grab handle in the Soul started this whole ball rolling
There's a lesson in there for Kia. You can give people reasons "to buy" and reasons "not to buy." They can be little things that add up to a thumbs down decision (cough, cough, de-contenting).

FWIW I think you made a good decision Trevor.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,004 Posts
Congrats on the new ride conwelpic..... it's a beauty!

It will be sad to see you go, the forum appreciates all the information you've provided over the years.

Best of luck and you can still check in from time to time if you wish. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oh c'mon. At least check in once in a while to read the oil threads.

Good luck with your new ride!

Richard

1 - 20 of 32 Posts