Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Time to replace shocks/struts whats to get?

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  silvergem 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 with 67K miles.

The rear passenger shock is in need of replacement for sure and I was thinking I should just replace the front struts and rear shocks/springs and then be done.
I plan on keeping the car for a few more years at least.

I would like to go with a pre-loaded strut as I really just dont like doing the springs.

I was looking around on normal autoparts sites like autozone and they seem to just have the junk brands available like sen-sen for pre-loaded struts.

I found another post on here about aftermarket suspension. I see i can get megan racing set for front/rear for $800 but then BC and HSD brands for a couple hundred more for the set.

How do these racing coilovers feel? Do they greatly improve the car? Do they last?

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I could just go oem, but im not sure if the front struts come pre-loaded from kia or not

See less See more
#2 ·
#14 ·
#7 ·
Nobody should consider Monroes :tongue:
Interesting about Monroes. I've been fishing for struts and shocks for my wife's PT. Locally Tireman, the weirdos at Midas--I can see why gold is their theme, they charge up the wazoo--and numerous parts stores ALL push Monroe. They say KYB don't last. I don't know if the word is out to say Monroe Monroe Monroe but over the years and decades I always heard they were mediocre at best and certainly nothing to write home about.

Too bad Konis aren't available, I think Bilstein is the next class down from Konis and I haven't checked their availability. But I've used KYB and heard good things about them over the years and decades. I put a set on an '04 Impala because the stock suspension was just too squishy. GMPP anti-roll bars too, that all made a yooj difference.

#8 · (Edited)
Firstly, AFAIK, Monroe don't make monotubes. This car was designed with them on rear (and fronts for the ! and Sport models), for a reason.
Also, I have used Monroes on my Explorer and I took them out after two years - two of them were blown already.

Secondly, the KYB that I received are "Made in Japan". Maybe there were some problems with the KYB made in the US plant, I don't know, but they don't make all the lineup of shocks there.

Thirdly, I put Bilstein on top of every other shock manufacturer. They invented the inverted monotube shock - as a fun note, some of DIY people install them upside-down because of that (not reading the label on the shock).
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/technology/mono-tube-technology/
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/about-us/history/

In 1954, BILSTEIN was the first to realize the potential offered by an idea of Prof. Bourcier de Carbon, a French researcher in the field of vibrations. The aim was to eliminate the physical disadvantages of the conventional telescopic shock absorbers, while at the same time making the dampers lighter and capable of being installed in any position.
Enormous effort went into development, accompanied by substantial investment in the necessary production facilities, in order to achieve this ambitious target. And it paid off. The introduction of the first monotube gas pressure shock absorber in a standard production Mercedes-Benz vehicle is still today considered a major contribution to active driving safety.
Lastly, the OE manufacturer for those Kia shocks was another German manufacturer - SACHS. They make a replacement for front and rear, but rockauto has them a "OE ride", versus "improved ride" for the KYB ones. You can see it faintly on my original rear shock (blown at 55k miles, oil leaked):

#9 ·
Im not even finding any bilstein for a 2011 soul.

What my main problem is, is finding a decent front strut. Im only finding no name brands or brands that have nothing but bad things come up with a google search. Just seems like no good options for the soul.

Not sure how coilovers are to adjust if I got the megan racing ones. Or how stiff the ride will be, not that im looking for a luxury ride.

Maybe just going OEM is best.

#11 · (Edited)
The KYB Gas-A-Just are perfect for rear.

For front, the only monotube option is the Sachs one. But that would require changing the bearing plate independently. Plus, the old spring might be softer now, so it's good to replace that too.
But, since the OE front was monotube only on ! and Sport, I decided that's OK for me to try twin-tube, pre-assembled struts. The weight of the engine stabilizes inertial the front, so the shocks are less important there, compared to the rear.
This is similar with what happens when you load up the rear of a truck or a car - suddenly the ride is much better because of the inertia. The shocks are basically replicating that inertia, without the weight.

Those work as good as the OE ones in my experience: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4L5U5/

#12 ·
The KYB Gas-A-Just are perfect for rear.

For front, the only monotube option is the Sachs one. But that would require changing the bearing plate independently. Plus, the old spring might be softer now, so it's good to replace that too.
But, since the OE front was monotube only on ! and Sport, I decided that's OK for me to try twin-tube, pre-assembled struts. The weight of the engine stabilizes inertial the front, so the shocks are less important there, compared to the rear.
This is similar with what happens when you load up the rear of a truck or a car - suddenly the ride is much better because of the inertia. The shocks are basically replicating that inertia, without the weight.

Those work as good as the OE ones in my experience: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4L5U5/
I got KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on rear, they are separated from the springs: https://www.amazon.com/KYB-554387-Gas-a-Just-Gas-Shock/dp/B00B1C0WX6/

On front I got a pair of non-OE strut assemblies. Feels good for now...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4L5U5/
How have the non-OE strut assemblies from Amazon been for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.