Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we bought our 2017 plus recently, certified pre-owned with 6,200 miles, so we have the 5 year bumper to bumper and the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, plus 10 year roadside assistance and rental coverage.

They offered to sell us an extension of bumper to bumper to the full 10 year/100,000 miles. We declined at the time. Now I’m wondering if we should reconsider. We owned our last car for 17 years and plan to drive this one into the ground, definitely hope to have it for 10 years at least.

So I’m curious to know what other folks think of the extended bumper to bumper? Anyone know if we can buy an actual Kia warranty after the sale? Do we have until the initial 5 year bumper to bumper expires to do that?

Extending the bumper to bumper to 100,000 miles seemed excessive when we were purchasing, but now I’m thinking an electronic problem could cost a lot to fix down the road.

So...thoughts? Experiences? Have you all had good experiences with Kia honoring their warranty? This is our first Kia.

Thanks!!

Nikki

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,443 Posts
My opinion is no, don't buy an extended warranty. They are designed to not be in your favor and if you really want to pay for one, take that money and invest it elsewhere. Alot can happen in 10 years from now. The only certain thing is you will be out the price of such a policy, today.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GeoSoul. That was my thinking as well, but then I started wondering how many computer-based issues might actually render a car undriveable but maybe not be considered part of the power train warranty. (?) That’s an unknown for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to backtrack and figure out if it was a Kia extended warranty they were offering, or some kind of third party plan. The third party warranties sound iffy.

Looking at the Kia website, I don’t remember being offered a range like the silver, gold & platinum Kia protection plans, so maybe it wasn’t a Kia contract? If that’s the case, I think I’m glad we didn’t get it.

I think I would have to contact the dealer to find out more. All the Kia documentation has disclaimers stating that coverage and rights vary by state.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,443 Posts
These are 3rd party warranties & full of caveats. My friend bought one for her BMW. They refused to fix her electronics problem because technically it was BMWs fault. BMW could not fix the problem & then said it was not a problem.

The extended warranty to make her feel "safe" was useless.

Research consumer organizations. Most will say it's not a good idea to buy these products.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I agree with GeoSoul. Maybe...MAYBE look at an extended warranty directly from KIA or your specific preferred KIA dealer, but a third party warranty would be akin to throwing your money into a pile and lighting it on fire. There are usually restrictions and loopholes for avoiding coverage.

You might consider looking to your insurance carrier. Some nowadays (e.g. GEICO) offer some extended car coverage, such as MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance).

Good luck!
Greg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! That’s what I keep hearing about the third party plans, that they’re a waste and a hassle. And that for some you have to pay up front and then hope for reimbursement.

I’m going to hold off for now, and see how reliable the car is over the next couple years, and how readily Kia takes care of any warranty issues that might crop up. That should give me an idea of whether extending the Kia warranty makes sense or not. I wouldn’t do it unless it’s straight from Kia, and will only consider it if they really stand by the initial warranty. Then, as we near the end of the 5 year/50,000 miles, we’ll decide whether to extend it. There could be a better variety and quality of extended warranties available 4 years from now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been there once with my 2012 Wrangler JKU. My A/C would randomly stop working and of course I was at 90k on the odometer. So well out of the manufacturer warranty, but thankfully I bought the "Warranty is Awesome and Makes you Feel Good!" 3rd Party Warranty that was good up to 100k. All it took was a deductible and we were good.

Long story short, it became a contest between Dealership and 3rd Party Warranty people and my AC never got fixed. UGH.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no! I thought you were gonna say you were glad to have the 3rd party warranty. That was a plot twist there at the end! Sorry for your experience with your Jeep, but thanks for sharing!

Nikki

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi, we bought our 2017 plus recently, certified pre-owned with 6,200 miles, so we have the 5 year bumper to bumper and the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, plus 10 year roadside assistance and rental coverage.

They offered to sell us an extension of bumper to bumper to the full 10 year/100,000 miles. We declined at the time. Now I’m wondering if we should reconsider. We owned our last car for 17 years and plan to drive this one into the ground, definitely hope to have it for 10 years at least.

So I’m curious to know what other folks think of the extended bumper to bumper? Anyone know if we can buy an actual Kia warranty after the sale? Do we have until the initial 5 year bumper to bumper expires to do that?

Extending the bumper to bumper to 100,000 miles seemed excessive when we were purchasing, but now I’m thinking an electronic problem could cost a lot to fix down the road.

So...thoughts? Experiences? Have you all had good experiences with Kia honoring their warranty? This is our first Kia.

Thanks!!

Nikki
To the best of my knowledge the 5 year 60k warranty is good on a used vehicle but the 10 year and 100k drivetrain warranty is only for the first owner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to kias own certified pre owned website (us) it would seem the limited 10 year 100,000 mile limited bumper to bumper is not included. Before purchasing an addition I would double check your paperwork to see what they did include, who the extended coverage is from (Kia, dealership or another 3 party) and what exactly is covered by it.

Choosing a Certified Pre-Owned Kia gives you the confidence of knowing every vehicle comes equipped with Kia's comprehensive:

10-year/100,000-mile Certified Pre-Owned Limited Powertrain Warranty
12 month/12,000 mile Platinum Coverage
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
Towing/Rental/Travel Breakdown Coverage
164-Point Quality Assurance Inspection
Free CARFAX®️ Report on vehicle history
10-Year Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance Plan.

This is the link where I found the information

https://www.kia.com/us/en/cpo/about

·
Registered
148 Posts
According to kias own certified pre owned website (us) it would seem the limited 10 year 100,000 mile limited bumper to bumper is not included. Before purchasing an addition I would double check your paperwork to see what they did include, who the extended coverage is from (Kia, dealership or another 3 party) and what exactly is covered by it.

Choosing a Certified Pre-Owned Kia gives you the confidence of knowing every vehicle comes equipped with Kia's comprehensive:

10-year/100,000-mile Certified Pre-Owned Limited Powertrain Warranty
12 month/12,000 mile Platinum Coverage
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
Towing/Rental/Travel Breakdown Coverage
164-Point Quality Assurance Inspection
Free CARFAX®️ Report on vehicle history
10-Year Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance Plan.

This is the link where I found the information

https://www.kia.com/us/en/cpo/about
Oddly enough, according to both the Kia site and 2017 warranty book, there is no bumper to bumper, just the-

10-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty
5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty
5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty
5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/owners/warranty-owners
https://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2017_Warranty.pdf

·
Registered
381 Posts
I paid for the extended warranty/service agreement on both of my cars through the dealer (Zurich). The Soul was new and the Sedona was one year old. It's seems they cost about $1800 each.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Oddly enough, according to both the Kia site and 2017 warranty book, there is no bumper to bumper, just the-

10-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty
5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty
5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty
5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/owners/warranty-owners
https://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2017_Warranty.pdf
Limited basic IS the "bumper to bumper" warranty. However, if you read your booklet, basic and powertrain warranties only apply to the original owner. CPO come with a 3rd party warranty, which is usually the cheapest Kia can find. I heard they are a pain to deal with, and I wouldn't want to purchase "an extended" 3rd party warranty. You may have been given a separate booklet for it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Limited basic IS the "bumper to bumper" warranty. However, if you read your booklet, basic and powertrain warranties only apply to the original owner. CPO come with a 3rd party warranty, which is usually the cheapest Kia can find. I heard they are a pain to deal with, and I wouldn't want to purchase "an extended" 3rd party warranty. You may have been given a separate booklet for it.
I love how the graph in the warranty book says 2nd and subsequent owners get 5 years/60,000 miles of the original 10/100k powertrain warranty, yet under the description of Original Owner it says it's not transferable. Somebody needed an editor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I need to go back and scour the paperwork. We were assured multiple times during the buying process, by the salesman and the guy who did our paperwork, that the original Kia 10 year/100K warranty remains in effect for us, because we bought certified pre-owned. I’m sure we were told it was the factory warranty. But I know it’s the paperwork that counts. I would be irritated if it’s a 3rd party warranty when they told us it was factory, but I still would have bought the car regardless.

I wonder if there’s some possibility that it varies from state to state. When I look at dealer websites from different states, I’m seeing different information in terms of warranty length, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also wonder if it somehow makes a difference that we are the first individuals to purchase this car. It was shipped new to this dealership, used by them as a service loaner for 6 months, then placed for sale as certified pre-owned. We are the second owners, but the first owner was the dealership itself, not a private party. I dunno. Here’s hoping we don’t end up needing warranty work at all!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I also wonder if it somehow makes a difference that we are the first individuals to purchase this car. It was shipped new to this dealership, used by them as a service loaner for 6 months, then placed for sale as certified pre-owned. We are the second owners, but the first owner was the dealership itself, not a private party. I dunno. Here’s hoping we don’t end up needing warranty work at all!
That could be it and you lucked out to be the "first" owner with a few thousands miles on it. Also odd that your dealership actually had a service loaner. I've had my share of warranty work done on the 3 Kias I had and if there was ever a need for a vehicle, they always provided cheap rental.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I love how the graph in the warranty book says 2nd and subsequent owners get 5 years/60,000 miles of the original 10/100k powertrain warranty, yet under the description of Original Owner it says it's not transferable. Somebody needed an editor.
I think that's actually true. 2nd owners get a remainder of factory basic warranty, but not the powertrain. CPO get 3rd party powertrain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts