Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chewing over the thought of trading my Soul for a Jeep Renegade. The Jeep seems to be exactly what I've been looking for however, I'm cautious because of Chrysler's quality control issues on some of their vehicles. I do like the Jeep. I like that it's bigger yet not a huge hulking beast. It's more powerful yet gets similar MPG as the Soul. There's many reasons I like the Jeep vs the Soul however I've yet to make the leap. My Soul is a 2012 Plus Moss Green with full tint in near perfect condition. It has leather seats, auto dimming mirror with homelink/compass etc.

Has anyone here traded their Soul for a Renegade and if so what did you think?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
I traded my 2013 Soul on a Charger. It had ISSUES. HVAC and blend doors and then the controls which meant the sound controls as well as the HVAC and then the lying dealer said it needed a new main cable.

You may be OK. You may buy a mess.

I had issues with my '13 Charger--enough to return to service eight times before I lost patience--and the trannie on my '11 200 V6 was hinky at low speed, an issue that Chrysler never fully solved.

OTOH between my wife and me we owned or leased five LH cars in the 90s and had almost no problems with them. But that was a while back.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
which model of the Renegade - its has a vast range? Do you really need AWD - if so why? Why do you want the Renegade?

A far more expensive vehicle in comparison and lousy reliability, one of the worst along with the Fiat - which is happens to be built at the same Italian factory as the 500x. There is very little difference between the size of the Soul and the Renegade, both inside and out.

As you are comparing a 2015 vehicle to your 2012 Soul, I would drive a 2015/16 Soul first and then see how you feel.

Some members who have purchased a newer Soul have compared it to the Renegade but turned it down for various reasons which I'm sure they will chime in and give you there impressions, but its your money and your choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is no way on this green Earth I would ever think about buying a Chrysler product. Never owned one, but have rented quite a few; fit, finish and overall quality can't hold the jock of it's Asian competitors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First thing you should do is go to the Jeep Renegade forum, where people who own them hang out. Having been there when I was car hunting, I can promise you'll find a wide range of experiences. Some love the car, some hate it. Some had great experiences - but a few had horrible experiences. But you could say the same about the Soul.

So don't ask us - we're Soul lovers. Go ask the Renegade crowd - some of whom have lived with their Renegades for half a year now. They're the authorities. And whatever you buy, may you be happy with it and may nobody give you grief about it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I love Jeeps. That said, I think you would be making a massive mistake. If you need/want AWD, there are far, far better vehicles out there than the Renegade. If you like the body style of the Soul (which is kind of like a little Jeep), but are tired of the vehicle (I have a 2013 Moss Green), you might consider a newer Soul. I got a whole lot of driver's seat time in my brother's 2014 last weekend (almost 2000 miles worth), and it is superior to mine in almost any metric I can think of, especially seat and armrest comfort, and NVH improvements. I honestly like the way the older versions look better, both interior and exterior, but in terms of daily driving the new Soul is a major improvement over the first generation.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I can't argue with jdmartin, as far as the newer Soul's being an improvement over the first gen. vehicles. If they are an improvement over my 2012, they must really ride great, since I think the ride and control of my 2012 is credible. Actually quite good. With new tires and an alignment it rides and drives like a dream. I think I prefer the look of the rear end on the Gen 1's better.

One thing I do know: I have owned both vehicles now. I had a Dodge, in which the transmission died, which is why I now have a Soul. I got 13 years out of my Dodge. I had no complaints. It cost me more to own and maintain than my Soul does. (Soul costs .09$ a mile to operate, the Dodge was .13$ a mile to operate, I tracked it the vehicles entire life.).

Just another comparison metric to consider. Total cost of ownership. The Jeep has a much higher TCO.

H

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was going to trade my Soul for a Renegade Trailhawk. I was very impressed with it. Interior is great and it can tow 2000lbs. Wasn't sure I wanted another small vehicle though. Then I looked at the Ram 1500's. Couldn't be happier with the truck and get 22.5 mpg in town. I don't get cut off in traffic anymore either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've been chewing over the thought of trading my Soul for a Jeep Renegade. The Jeep seems to be exactly what I've been looking for however, I'm cautious because of Chrysler's quality control issues on some of their vehicles. I do like the Jeep. I like that it's bigger yet not a huge hulking beast. It's more powerful yet gets similar MPG as the Soul. There's many reasons I like the Jeep vs the Soul however I've yet to make the leap. My Soul is a 2012 Plus Moss Green with full tint in near perfect condition. It has leather seats, auto dimming mirror with homelink/compass etc.

Has anyone here traded their Soul for a Renegade and if so what did you think?
NO, and I never would! My neighbors have two Jeep Cherokees and one is basically DEAD (from misc. electrical problems), sitting in their back yard. Both have had numerous electrical problems and both have had transmission (AT) problems. They swear up and down that they will never again own any Jeep (Chrysler) product.

As I've said in my Signature Line, I have the BASE Kia Soul with the more than adequate 1.6L engine, and it too has the auto dimming mirror, compass, radio volume and CC controls on the steering wheel, lighted glove box, side marker lights, full tint, six way adjustable seat and more fun to drive than any car I've owned in the past 27 years.

I can't even imagine any Jeep getting anywhere near the MPG that I can get with my Soul, if I don't drive it like I stole it.
And, my Soul will go anywhere that I'd be willing to go with a Jeep. I take it off road a lot. (I also live OFF ROAD)

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
Inferno Red 2015 Soul +, Shadow Black 2016 Soul +
69 Posts
The guy I work with has had 3 Jeeps, and although he loves them, all 3 have had major issues at one point or another. Luckily he had the extended warranties on all 3, but it's an extra cost for something you will probably want to consider and eventually need. My Kia is new so I can't really comment on mine, but I have a friend who had a Soul on lease and had zero issues and just turned it back in and got another.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Jeep makes a good vehicle. However,this does vary by model.

Basically,you are talking about two different types of vehicles between our Soul and
the Jeep. Much depends on what you intend the vehicle to do.
Towing,some off road stuff,the Jeep works. All purpose,efficient use of interior space
to carry all kinds of stuff and bodies,the Soul comes out on top.
Then as mentioned,you have the reliability issue with some Chrysler/Fiat products.

Have not mentioned this before, but in essence,the Soul is somewhat like today's
PT Cruiser. Gee,I hated the PT Cruiser. But,they sold a ton of them. You see many
still on the road. Seniors were big consumers much for the same reasons of the Soul's
features.
The Soul is just comfortable. Easy in,easy out. Throw stuff in the back and take off
for a errand or a much needed getaway.

Again,whats your lifestyle need?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've owned a few Dodge Caravan's over the past decade. Always purchased used. Not terrible. Not great either.

The Renegade is cute. But I wouldn't trade my Soul for it ... nor would I want car payments. If the Soul is paid off, drive it like it's stolen and run it to 150K.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Something to consider:

Jeep warranty:
Basic - 3 yrs / 36,000 miles
Powertrain - 5 yrs / 60,000 miles

Soul warranty:
Basic - 5 yrs / 60,000 miles
Powertrain - 10 yrs /100,000 miles (original owner)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the responses I do appreciate it. There's many reasons I still like the Soul and a few reasons I'd like to get out of it. To be honest one those reasons is these things are everywhere driven slowly by old people. I hate having people assume this Soul is driven by yet another senior with the reflexes of a corpse. No offense to the more senior generations here. Yes I do get cut off from time to time but that happens no matter what you drive.

What I want is something bigger (yes the renegade holds more than the Soul), more cargo room in the back. Some light towing ability is a must. AWD is nice to have as I'd like to do a long road trip and might encounter unknown terrain and heavy inclines in unknown weather. Sorry TechnoMage where you would go with a Jeep might be different than where mostly everyone else would go with a Jeep and wouldn't take a Soul. I wouldn't compare the Soul to a Jeep they are two different animals.

Maybe I should expand my search beyond the Jeep. I keep hearing from people even those with Jeeps that they have issues.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
have you considered a Sportage?
- more cargo room that the Soul and Renegade
- available AWD
- a lot more reliable than Jeep and a much better warranty
- only 8" longer than a Renegade
- 2000 lbs towing with both engines
- proven reliable 6 spd auto (9-speed auto in the Renegade has had many problems)
- probably cheaper or as cheap as most Renegade models

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
403 Posts
Well, I have two older Plymouths (1952 and 1980) that I really enjoy driving. They are reliable and well engineered. Perhaps not the prettiest on the road but still fun and reliable. I wouldn't give a nickle for any Chrysler built after about 1990. Like my ex neighbor who bought a new Minivan about every four years and the reason for that was they started to fall apart at 80,000 miles or so. I asked him why he kept buying them and his answer was"I get friends and family". Wasn't worth it. My neighbor runs a car repair business in his garage. The vast majority of his repairs are Chryslers, Minivans and Dodges. Nothing but junk. Jeeps were better made longer, that is for sure. A good 2003 or older is often a reliable unit. After they got rid of the straight AMC based six things began to go downhill. Chrysler was destroyed by their own bean counters in the nineties and followed up by Mercedes who took all that they had that was good. Then the Management company that followed drained what was left. I had hoped Fiat would straighten them out but it looks like they no longer know what to do. I would stay away from them . As an aside, sorry that us old folks(I'm 65) have embarrassed you. Next time I am driving my Soul on I80 at 85 mph I will think of you.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
First, OP, you're in Florida. There will be lots of the dreaded Old People driving just about every brand of everything.

have you considered a Sportage?
- more cargo room that the Soul and Renegade
- available AWD
- a lot more reliable than Jeep and a much better warranty
- only 8" longer than a Renegade
- 2000 lbs towing with both engines
- proven reliable 6 spd auto (9-speed auto in the Renegade has had many problems)
- probably cheaper or as cheap as most Renegade models
I haven't checked in a couple of years, but the last time I did check the interior dimensions of the Soul and Sportage were quite similar, with no advantage in total capacity for the Sportage. It LOOKS bigger, it is bigger outside.

The KIA 6A appears to be a pretty bulletproof unit. And yes the 9A used in Chrysler and Fiat vehicles sounds like it has bookoo problems.

The ZF/Chrysler 8A was pretty trouble-free and very smooth. Ditto the old 5A.
But the 6A in my 200 and the 9A...I would stay away.

Reactions: nick1946

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
785 Posts
Thanks for the responses I do appreciate it. There's many reasons I still like the Soul and a few reasons I'd like to get out of it. To be honest one those reasons is these things are everywhere driven slowly by old people. I hate having people assume this Soul is driven by yet another senior with the reflexes of a corpse. No offense to the more senior generations here. Yes I do get cut off from time to time but that happens no matter what you drive.

What I want is something bigger (yes the renegade holds more than the Soul), more cargo room in the back. Some light towing ability is a must. AWD is nice to have as I'd like to do a long road trip and might encounter unknown terrain and heavy inclines in unknown weather. Sorry TechnoMage where you would go with a Jeep might be different than where mostly everyone else would go with a Jeep and wouldn't take a Soul. I wouldn't compare the Soul to a Jeep they are two different animals.

Maybe I should expand my search beyond the Jeep. I keep hearing from people even those with Jeeps that they have issues.
You are funny! Your first paragraph says it all. I'm in the "old people category" at 69 yrs, but my gripe is on the ones that drive so slow in the Buicks,Hondas,Toyotas,Chevys,Caddies,etc. And then there are the "self-entitled" jackholes driving those full size GM suv's that pull out right in front of you in your Soul or try to push you down the road because you are in a smaller vehicle. So it would seem jackholes drive many brands/models of vehicles. IMO do what you want, do what makes you feel good about what you are driving.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts