Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been looking at getting a 2020 EX Designer Edition because of the option package and price.

However, I’ve seen several GT turbos for almost the same price because of dealer markdowns, so now I’m considering one.

Any thoughts or concerns from those who already own one?

I’m mostly concerned about the DCT and how it performs in everyday driving. I’ve had a DCT before in a Focus Titanium, and it did a decent job once the clutch packs were broken in.

This will be my daily driver, and, while the turbo is nice, it’s not really why I’m considering the GT. I’m primarily interested in FINALLY having a heated steering wheel and I also prefer factory premium speaker systems (my days of aftermarket sub boxes are long in the past). I also would like to have a sunroof. 😊

Honestly, if the EX had these three things, I’d just get one of those. I’ll never understand the “logic” behind manufacturer build packages. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
517 Posts
There's a section in the 2020 Owner's Manual on what Kia says to expect from this particular DCT (start on 5-27):

From what I've read on here and the Soul Owner's FB group, some owners says the unique shifting nature of the DCT (particularly in stop and go traffic) is OK and what they expected. And some people who bought it who weren't aware of how DCT works, dislike it (some even wishing they didn't purchase). Apparently, the choppiness can be remedied through a software update or resetting the ECU. Some of the car reviewers I've watched have opined about the lack of refinement with the DCT, and some don't menyion anything about it.

Have you had a chance to drive one with DCT yet? That's what it'll probably boil down to. You may not notice anything when you drive one (but then notice it more and more as miles accrue), or you'll notice it immediately and decide that it's not too bad and that the benefits of a DCT outweigh the the unique shifting characteristics :)

Either way...I applaud you for doing your due diligence in researching while you're in the "consideration phase" of purchasing a vehicle as opposed to not being informed of the entire driving experience.

·
Registered
2020 GT Line Turbo
4 Posts
I don't find it choppy at all and in sport mode it's amazing. I do come from a manual transmission background but have driven automatics for a few years since moving to the USA.

The forward collision avoidance with pedestrian detection, smart cruise and head-up display are great features for a daily. The seats are extremely comfortable and I appreciate the power lumbar.

I would recommend test driving it but for a fun car the turbo performance and DCT is impressive and amazing value.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
How much creepy crawly traffic do you drive Jake? That's the only place I would hesitate with DCT.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I live in Phx,and we get plenty of stop and go crap...
I have zero issues with how the DCT performs.

My only complaint at all is it is a Granny shifting son of a gun when you really want it to get through the gears.
If I’m on it hard it is so lazy and melo,I wish it was more harsh and agressive.

But,we are talking about a KIA Soul,so,it’s not exactly a sports car,and most prefer numb and boring. That’s not a bad thing since it will probably live a long life that way.

·
Registered
2020 GT Line Turbo
4 Posts
...My only complaint at all is it is a Granny shifting...
Sport mode makes a world of difference in the shifting and it also holds gears and revs higher. I'm in Dallas, TX and experience plenty of stop and go traffic, as long as ISG is disabled it's a great commuter car and also a lot more fun on back roads than it has any right to be.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sport mode makes a world of difference in the shifting and it also holds gears and revs higher. I'm in Dallas, TX and experience plenty of stop and go traffic, as long as ISG is disabled it's a great commuter car and also a lot more fun on back roads than it has any right to be.
Even in sport mode,it’s a granny shifter....and even with the shifter moved left in manual mode/paddles.
My A8 in my Challenger is light years ahead of these.
But again,I get it’s not a performance car,so I’m truly ok with it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just as a reminder that this is, like Kia says, a "Eco" transmission. It will shift like a bag of soggy potatoes. Sport mode actually is nice. It can be better though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts