Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually do cabin and engine air filter changes in October. But they were both exceptionally dirty, so I changed them today, after 10 months and 12,200 miles.

I already discarded the engine air filter and sealed the bag, but here's the cabin air filter.

I think I'll start changing both filters on a semiannual schedule when I do the oil and filter change. That's filter's too dirty for my liking.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,640 Posts
Sounds like da plan. Or at least eyeball those filters every two or three months and change accordingly.

K&N lets in measurably more dirt and crud. That argument has been beaten to death here and on every other car forum known to mankind and space alien.

Reactions: cheferman65

·
Registered
992 Posts
I usually do cabin and engine air filter changes in October. But they were both exceptionally dirty, so I changed them today, after 10 months and 12,200 miles.

I already discarded the engine air filter and sealed the bag, but here's the cabin air filter.

I think I'll start changing both filters on a semiannual schedule when I do the oil and filter change. That's filter's too dirty for my liking.

That's not bad actually (as long as air can pas through) and good thing is it's catching a lot of the dirt, so it's doing its job!!!

Greg

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaning and re-oiling them is too much like work. Although if I'm going to be doing them twice a year, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
People bemoaning the K&N Engine Air cleaner obviously only listen to Old Wives Tales, and never spent even an hour in an Air Flow Laboratory. I used to work in one!

The people who rail against the K&N filter the most are those selling the dry paper filters.
Follow the money! :ridiculed:

All the way back to the early days of Auto makers putting an air cleaner on their cars, it was well known that a oily filter would capture and contain more fine dirt particles than a dry filter.
They called those early air cleaners, "Oil Washed Air Cleaner". They were nasty things to clean out and re-oil, thus the paper 'drop in' air filter became popular, especially in service stations wanting to do a Quick Oil Change, and optimize their profits. Eh?

Even my lawn mower uses an oiled air filter. Most of the cars that use a CAI with the RED cone shaped air filter, are actually using a K&N Air Cleaner, whether they realize it or not.
The red color comes from the K&N Filter Oil which is , , , RED!
All of those red CAI's need to be washed and RE-Oiled periodically.

Once a year is my own frequency to replace my FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin air filter,* but....
My K&N Engine Air Cleaner gets washed and re-oiled every 3k miles, when I perform my regular oil change and Bumper to Bumper maintenance inspection.

* Several times during the year, I take out my Cabin air cleaner and dump out or vac. out the bugs, tree leaves and dirt.

If one thinks of doing maintenance on their car as WORK (another four letter word) they will probably put it off till the last possible minute, but... if a person, like me, thinks of it as FUN, it will get done a lot more often. The hours I've spent servicing my own car, are some of the most rewarding of times.
I just (last week) performed my 20th Oil Change on my own car. That was my 60k service.
Just last month, I had my transmission (AT) serviced by my dealer.

I don't like the new Souls, so I'll be keeping my 2013 for a long time to come.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Well, maybe, if you're in an extremely clean environment. but, where in the USA are you going to find that kind of environment????? NO Place that I've ever found. There are dirty places and then there are places that are just plain Dirty as heck. In fact, I've been all over the US, and I've never found a place that's really clean.

Want CLEAN? Then stay out of Florida. Every car driven in FL, falls into the "Severe Service" category, because of all the super fine sand that is everywhere. It gets into Every Thing!

If your K&N air cleaner is not pink, but is brown, or dark grey, it should be cleaned and re-oiled. Hey, it's not rocket science, it's just plain old maintenance. Do you wait for your bed sheets to turn brown before you wash them?
I'd think NOT!!!! Well, at least I'd hope NOT!

So just set an interval when the pink turns to grey and do the maintenance. Again, I say, it's not rocket science. It's actually kind of Fun!
I've been using K&N air cleaners for at least 17 years now, and I perform the service every 3k Miles whether it seems like it's needed or not. My car loves me for the care I take of her, and she rewards me with superlative performance.

And I do spend a little extra for the FRAM Fresh Breeze, Cabin air filter, to get the cleanest and best smelling air that I can get.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sparrows Fart, New York aka “The Middle of Nowhere”

Sure, I can see a rural town being dusty. Prolly do need
to change those filters more often than us urbane folks do.

I usually attempt to "blow out" the debris and contaminates
with compressed air, before contemplating a change out.
That usually works for a time or two. Here in the O.C.

·
Registered
483 Posts
GeekOTH--

The cabin filters look like they are different brands--the dirty grey one looks like it's a carbon impregnated FRAM one with thin pleats--the new one is so clean with beefy pleats.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GeekOTH--

The cabin filters look like they are different brands--the dirty grey one looks like it's a carbon impregnated FRAM one with thin pleats--the new one is so clean with beefy pleats.
They are different brands. But the white one is the carbon one. It's gray on the other side. The gray one is the OEM filter, which used to be white.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sparrows Fart, New York aka “The Middle of Nowhere”

Sure, I can see a rural town being dusty. Prolly do need
to change those filters more often than us urbane folks do.

I usually attempt to "blow out" the debris and contaminates
with compressed air, before contemplating a change out.
That usually works for a time or two. Here in the O.C.
I think the pollen gums them up, too. We've also had an exceptional amount of rain this spring and summer, so the dampness may have been a factor.

Whatever the case, replacing them every six months is no big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts