Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just realized you can turn on - or off - that the air conditioner automatically comes on for defogging purposes in defrost modes.

Hold the air conditioner button, and push quickly several times the air control button,(circulation button) it will blink a few times acknowledging you have turned on or off the feature.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just realized you can turn on - or off - that the air conditioner automatically comes on for defogging purposes in defrost modes.

Hold the air conditioner button, and push quickly several times the air control button,(circulation button) it will blink a few times acknowledging you have turned on or off the feature.
Whoa! Is this a 2014 and up only feature? I've wondered if my 2013 could get outside air for the defrost mode. More often than not, it's my heated breath that is fogging up the inside when it's chilly. I just need outside air to vent up the windshield instead of wasting A/C when it's 40 degrees out.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Whoa! Is this a 2014 and up only feature? I've wondered if my 2013 could get outside air for the defrost mode. More often than not, it's my heated breath that is fogging up the inside when it's chilly. I just need outside air to vent up the windshield instead of wasting A/C when it's 40 degrees out.
no its not a G2 only feature, your not wasting a/c as it helps remove moisture. I leave it to the default a/c for defrost purposes all through our winters (and far, far colder than 40F) as in our case it also helps maintain the a/c system as they suggest running it once a month when its not in normal use so this way I don't have to remember.

I realize that its not a problem in Texas. :sneakiness: It's called "Defogging logic" and you can turn it on or off as described on page 4/93 in your owners manual.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Maybe it's been a well kept secret, but cars have been doing all that stuff for many years.

Dehumidifying the air that's blown on the windshield is preferable, to blowing WET air on it. Eh?

And as mentioned, it also gives the AC compressor a little exercise it keep it from freezing up due to lack of use.

I think that my car also locks into Recirculate mode when in Defrost mode. That would be my preference anyway.
Why have to blow cold outside air on the windshield, when the air inside the car is heating up and will be much more efficient at defrosting the glass.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
There are many times I want to send non air conditioned air to the upper registers & found I had to constantly turn the a/c off. For me, I hated that feature that automatically turned it on.

Quite by accident I discovered you could remove it by disconnecting the battery. I did that overnight before installing cruise control in my base mt.

Thanks tampa for posting another way of doing it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Things I didn't know.

I found out, quite by accident,
when the motor is idling,
you can engage the starter
with the key, AND NOTHING HAPPENS!

The motor is so quiet!
I got distracted and forgot
it was already running. I turned the key
into the start position, I didn't hear
that terrible grinding noise, when the starter
gear slams into the moving flywheel.

My 2015 Soul is smart enough
to know that the motor is running
and it disables the starter.

Try it yourself! Next time you're
sitting behind the wheel,
and the motor is already running. . . .

Turn that key!

All the way to the right.
And hold it tight.
Nothing happens, right!

That trick works on The 2015 +

·
Registered
27 Posts

While I realize it may be a good idea in most cases to just let the AC kick on when using the defrost vents...a lot of times I just want the regular air flow/heat to go through those vents without the AC on. Call me old school, but I like when I get to decide when the AC turns on.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That is nothing new with the Kia Soul. All GM, Ford and Chrysler cars have been turning ON the AC compressor when Defrost has been selected, for decades.

It was done then and is done now, to de-humidify the air being blown against the cold windshield, to eliminate additional fogging.

So let it do its thing, like it was designed to, by people with more engineering degrees than you have. (Probably).

And, I've proven, over and over again, that it will not adversely affect your performance or MPG.

Cheers Mates! Remember, summer is coming.....just hang in there!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Things I didn't know:

How many of you know, that if you turn your air selector to direct the air to the floor, it will also blow air to the back seat, through a little duct under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
And now for something totally different to enlighten.

I didn’t know ~ when cleaning outside windshield and you happen to rest elbow on the hood’s sweet spot while extending cleaning arm to reach further ~ you’ll hear the sound of flexing metal going down and then pop right up once elbow is removed ~ the end result is small dimple that can only be seen from certain angles when light conditions enhance the area ~ how many have found this hidden little gem? :surprise:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And now for something totally different to enlighten.

I didn’t know ~ when cleaning outside windshield and you happen to rest elbow on the hood’s sweet spot while extending cleaning arm to reach further ~ you’ll hear the sound of flexing metal going down and then pop right up once elbow is removed ~ the end result is small dimple that can only be seen from certain angles when light conditions enhance the area ~ how many have found this hidden little gem? :srprise:
Dang ! I walked on my hood and it didnt do anything , you must be a BIG GUY .

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's a felt material on the outside of the front seat belt buckles, so as to not cause a rattle when they hit the center console.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I found out last week after having car for 5 months that the front door pockets have a red led lighting them up. Was riding in passenger seat & put my book in the pocket & saw the red light reflecting off the white pages. Checked it out & there are leds under the armrest on both sides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found that out by mistake I opened the passenger door to open the window to keep it cool it was still a little dark out and took the keys out and the auto lights did not go off I thought broke it but found out on the form someone else did the same . I did not know there was a light in the glove box I think it comes on only when the lights are on ??:)
Yes the light in the glove box only comes on if the head lights are on

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Yes the light in the glove box only comes on if the head lights are on
my 2012 operated that way but my 2016 doesn't - it comes on every time you open the glove box regardless of the headlight switch setting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Something I discovered yesterday turning my annoyance into relief. Throwing my back seats forward, I lifted the seat release on the left and it pulled right out. Sh*t! I broke it. Nope, they thread on. Gradually loosened for some reason. The right side was 3-4 turns out too.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Something I discovered yesterday turning my annoyance into relief. Throwing my back seats forward, I lifted the seat release on the left and it pulled right out. Sh*t! I broke it. Nope, they thread on. Gradually loosened for some reason. The right side was 3-4 turns out too.
that knob has been changed on the G2 version, its now a pull latch that lies flat with the top of the seat, you can just see it in this shot of the cargo area of my new Soul

361 - 380 of 392 Posts