Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
WELL, I guess my Soul doesn't have an alarm, because I had to test the Key Lock in order to make that picture, and NO alarm went off. Eh? But, the key and the lock, worked just fine.
Give it a try, and see for yourself. Then let us know, how it worked out.

:cool:

·
Registered
2022 LX
23 Posts
The standard keys for the soul, either the key only or the switch blade fob have no chips for the car to read, I would assume this is different with the “imobilizer” but my oct 21 made ‘22 lx doesn’t have this as far as I can tell. I have had the hidden lock repaired on my car and have a plain key but can’t get it cut locall so it will be a while before I test the theory. I’m still attempting to replace my hidden hey with a good old fashion exposed key hole but KIA can’t help (I have no idea what there customer contact is for since the say they have no contact with the parts or dealers) so I will have to go to the valley and try to find a cooperative parts person at the dealer to get the part #’s And then try to order them, a minor issue but I feel the elimination of the standard key access is pretty lame.

·
Registered
2021 Soul X line 2.0l auto
25 Posts
Yes.
Steering is very nice and precise
Handles rather well for a box and is fun to drive.
Paint quality on mine is excellent.
Love my Smartliner Floor mats...(Those dont count)
Interior quality is pretty good- Only one Dash rattle that I have to hear about every day....Still working on it.
Dot for get if you put 89 100 % gas in the tank it runs very much faster!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dot for get if you put 89 100 % gas in the tank it runs very much faster!
I’ve been trying this experiment the past couple fill ups using 89. I thought it might be all in my head, but the little 1.6L seems to have a little more pep.

🚗 💨

·
Registered
11 Posts
Solved the problem with locking the door with the big switch key fob in the car. 2020 Soul S. Been there did that, but not no more. Got a key only blank & got it cut and have it stashed out side the car in a place that is safe & out of the weather & easy to get at & no problem using it to remove that little cover next to the door handle. Now for the Paul Harvey Rest of the Story........Can't tell you where the stash place is & it's so neat, I'll get my car stolen & I love shooting Thieves, but Ammo is to expensive right now, plus the clean up..............

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
Solved the problem with locking the door with the big switch key fob in the car. 2020 Soul S. Been there did that, but not no more. Got a key only blank & got it cut and have it stashed out side the car in a place that is safe & out of the weather & easy to get at & no problem using it to remove that little cover next to the door handle. Now for the Paul Harvey Rest of the Story........Can't tell you where the stash place is & it's so neat, I'll get my car stolen & I love shooting Thieves, but Ammo is to expensive right now, plus the clean up..............
What if you are not home? Long walk to that Key-in-a-rock at home.... :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
So we pull up to the market and it's cold and windy...I get out and put on jacket and I feel a lump in the pocket and thinking it was my fob I lock the doors by the door lock and leave.....and yes I get back no fob and there it is sitting on the seat....wow...My last 3 cars and truck would not lock with fob in car....but guess what... this one does.....dang it
So, accepting this peril, how did you end up dealing with it? If you called roadside assistance, how did that proceed? Maybe they have a special device that can send any and all unlock codes, or something...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I just wonder, if a Slim Jim will work on a Soul. ???

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just wonder, if a Slim Jim will work on a Soul. ???
They use something a little different now. I saw a video where the guy uses a plastic wedge and little inflatable airbag to slightly crack open the upper corner of the door, then he sneaks a rod in through the crack to push the unlock button. The rod also had a hook shape at the end that can grab the door handle on some cars.

Thats how AAA opened my old Elantra years ago on the way home from the vet when I locked my old cat in the car with it running (ac on) when I had to stop by CVS to get her medication for her constipation (miralax). I had to force the car to lock (close the door real quick before it auto unlocked) because it was running and I assumed the key fob would unlock the car but it didn’t. Had to call AAA while Amber was meowing in her carrier looking at me outside probably thinking what an idiot she has for an owner 😹

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Hmmm... all this talk about how to unlock it if the key fob is dead...

My most recent girlfriend has a VW Tiguan. She left the headlights on one night, and I couldn't find a keyhole for her "switchblade" key!!! I had to watch a YouTube video to discover that there is a cover over the driver door keyhole!!!

I hate the fact that modern car manufacturers have opted to reduce cost by approx. $2.00 by eliminating all but ONE keyhole. But, I digress...

After watching the video, it was easy to unlock the door. I removed a cover near her door handle, opened the door with her "switchblade key", and I jump-started her car with the cables that I ALWAYS carry in my car, and everything was fine.

I haven't noticed if there is a hidden keyhole in the driver door of my Soul. I'm gonna go look!

But, did you know that if the battery in your key fob is dead (on the push-button-start models)... all you need to do is push the key fob, with the "lock button down" onto the "start" button, and the car will start??? Yes... if the battery in your fob is dead, the push-button start Kia/Hyundai cars will allow you to start the car if you push the "button" with the top end of your fob!

Use the end of the fob that has the "lock" button. Push it down on the "start" button. This will energize the fob, and allow the car to start.

It's a little less obvious than the system used on my daughter's 2012 Nissan Altima. Her car actually has a slot on the left side of the steering column where the driver can insert a dead fob. It doesn't "charge" the fob, but it gives the fob enough power to allow the driver to press the "start" button.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
It's almost 1am. My garage is below one of my neighbor's condo. I'm gonna go annoy my neighbor and open my garage door. I'll find out if my Kia has a hidden keyhole in the driver door!!!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Good to know, if I wasn’t aware of that I would think those S. Koreans didn’t even put a key hole. If you kept a separate flat Locked-Out key I suppose it might set off the alarm, but once you got the Fob out you could cancel the alarm.
Are you kidding me??? My 2011 Chrysler only has a key hole in the driver door. The dealership has had my car since October 20, 2021. Chrysler Corporation and the dealership are debating about my warrantee eligibility. I can't open the trunk of my car to remove my personal belongings! The ONLY key hole in the car is in the driver door... and the dealership has removed too much of the engine, and disabled all electrical functions.

I cannot access my belongings in the trunk.

The trunk is filled with engine parts... and my own belongings.

But I cannot open the trunk because there is no keyhole in the trunk, and the battery is disconnected.

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
Hmmm..
It's a little less obvious than the system used on my daughter's 2012 Nissan Altima. Her car actually has a slot on the left side of the steering column where the driver can insert a dead fob. It doesn't "charge" the fob, but it gives the fob enough power to allow the driver to press the "start" button.
Yes indeed..my 2002 and 2012 had the slot

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
93 Posts
Are you kidding me??? My 2011 Chrysler only has a key hole in the driver door. The dealership has had my car since October 20, 2021. Chrysler Corporation and the dealership are debating about my warrantee eligibility. I can't open the trunk of my car to remove my personal belongings! The ONLY key hole in the car is in the driver door... and the dealership has removed too much of the engine, and disabled all electrical functions.

I cannot access my belongings in the trunk.

The trunk is filled with engine parts... and my own belongings.

But I cannot open the trunk because there is no keyhole in the trunk, and the battery is disconnected.
I guess the back seat rest is not removable? I wasn’t aware they were doing this with regular Sedans with trunk lids. Unfortunately, the auto makers are trying to save a buck by eliminating all key locks except for the driver door (so far). The lift gate on my 2011 is electric only. The only safeguard is removing the rear trim panel to access a mechanical mechanism. I keep a lot of stuff back there so this would be very annoying if the electrical unit cuts out. As a retired Auto Damage Appraiser, I was inspecting a rolled over Ford Explorer at a tow yard when the owners showed up to get their stuff, the gate was electric with no key hole and the battery was dead, they had a lot of stuff in the rear cargo area, luckily, I was able to hook up my Portable Jump box I had so the lift gate would open.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts