Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we pull up to the market and it's cold and windy...I get out and put on jacket and I feel a lump in the pocket and thinking it was my fob I lock the doors by the door lock and leave.....and yes I get back no fob and there it is sitting on the seat....wow...My last 3 cars and truck would not lock with fob in car....but guess what... this one does.....dang it

·
Registered
682 Posts
So we pull up to the market and it's cold and windy...I get out and put on jacket and I feel a lump in the pocket and thinking it was my fob I lock the doors by the door lock and leave.....and yes I get back no fob and there it is sitting on the seat....wow...My last 3 cars and truck would not lock with fob in car....but guess what... this one does.....dang it
If the fob is in the car wouldn’t the car think you’re in there with it? Is your car push button start? Was it running? My old car would immediately unlock if I opened the door and tried to lock it while it was running. I haven’t tried in my Kia. I don’t have a fob so I don’t know what it would do.

Reactions: highsling

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the fob is in the car wouldn’t the car think you’re in there with it? Is your car push button start? Was it running? My old car would immediately unlock if I opened the door and tried to lock it while it was running. I haven’t tried in my Kia. I don’t have a fob so I don’t know what it would do.
That's is what I thought....no it's not push button...wasn't running....my other cars would not lock with fob inside....it's the switchblade key fob....

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's is what I thought....no it's not push button...wasn't running....my other cars would not lock with fob inside....it's the switchblade key fob....
That’s interesting. That old car I mentioned would lock if it was not running and the fob was in the car. I’m not sure how it could tell the difference, maybe the smart key push button ones can tell, but not the switchblade.

Reactions: highsling

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
348 Posts
Just went out to my wife's GT. It will not lock with the key in the car. Emits a loud, long beep to let you know key is in the car.
My Nissan's have done this for 20 years

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
127 Posts
My Soul has push-button start. I tried leaving the fob in the car and using both the inside door lock button, and the button on the outside door handle. It would not lock with the fob in the car.

Every other car I have owned did not have push-button start. They would not lock if the key was in the ignition, but those cars had no other way of knowing if the fob was in the car. In those cars, if the fob was on the seat, they would happily lock when I pressed the door lock button. This is why I always lock my cars using either the fob, or the button on the outside door handle.

My daughter's car is a 2012 Nissan Altima with push-button start. It will not lock if the fob is in the car... EXCEPT if the fob's battery is dead. She discovered that a few months ago. I live in MD and she lives in FL. I keep a spare fob at my best friend's house in FL, but he lives on the opposite side of the state from my daughter. Instead of asking a friend to drive her to my friend's house, she opted to pay Pop-A-Lock to come open her door... for a fee of $75, which I made HER pay. I bet she won't do that again.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It seems to me that the lesson in all of this is to always use your fob to lock or unlock the doors. Whether the doors would or would not lock with the fob in the car is a moot issue if you always use the fob. In fact, I'm paranoid enough that if I get out of my vehicle without the fob for any reason - say, the keys are in the ignition - I put the driver's window down far enough that I can reach in and unlock the door if it locks automatically for any reason.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No...I not familiar with that app...I have a jeep and a ram and they use uconnect..
The dealer should have set the uvo app up for you when you bought it. It's free for 1 year, then you have to pay for it. When mine runs out in May I'm not paying for it. I'll still have my remote start with the fob.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Call your dealer and see if they have a fix.
Or, call a locksmith.

Back when I had my 2013 Soul, I was sort of paranoid about locking myself out of my car, by loosing my key fob, etc. So I went to a local Locksmith and had them make me a 'flat' key that I could carry in my
wallet....which I did, for the six years I had that car. I've not tried to do that with the 2020 Soul.
Still being somewhat paranoid, I just make sure my key fob in in my hand, clutched tightly, every time I get out of my car.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
I was...my new 2021 gt-line....it's my runabout
I do something similar to FL with my 2011 Plus. I have my key ring with all of my keys including House key, Paddock key, Gate, etc., Plus an extra key for the Soul. This key ring never leaves my pocket unless I’m locking the House for instance, then I have my original Switchblade key Fob by itself for starting the Kia. I have had this extra key set-up for all of my vehicles for 20 years now otherwise I would have been locked out 20 plus times or more by now. I haven’t looked at the Gen-3s but I assume they still have a good old-fashioned key slot in the driver door.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
271 Posts
I suppose this is not the time to mention that I only have an old-fashioned key, and so always lock my Soul using the keyhole outside, just before the keys get clipped to my belt.

I do miss having a fob, though. The last two cars had one, and it was awfully handy. :)

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
348 Posts
Is there ANYTHING you Iike about your Kia?
Yes.
Steering is very nice and precise
Handles rather well for a box and is fun to drive.
Paint quality on mine is excellent.
Love my Smartliner Floor mats...(Those dont count)
Interior quality is pretty good- Only one Dash rattle that I have to hear about every day....Still working on it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
AZ-Red, Said "I haven’t looked at the Gen-3s but I assume they still have a good old-fashioned key slot in the driver door."
Yes, in a manner of speaking. Ever had a frozen Key-Lock in the winter? Well on the Gen-3 that Key-Hole is protected under a plastic, weather proof cover.
Just pop OFF the cover, from underneath, with a screwdriver or even a spare key, and VOILA!
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Automotive mirror Street light

There's your manual Key Lock! You want one? You got one! Just ask!
And it's even protected from foul weather, freezing, etc.

Clever, those S. Koreans!

Y'all have a GREAT 2022!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
AZ-Red, Said "I haven’t looked at the Gen-3s but I assume they still have a good old-fashioned key slot in the driver door."
Yes, in a manner of speaking. Ever had a frozen Key-Lock in the winter? Well on the Gen-3 that Key-Hole is protected under a plastic, weather proof cover.
Just pop OFF the cover, from underneath, with a screwdriver or even a spare key, and VOILA!
View attachment 138624
There's your manual Key Lock! You want one? You got one! Just ask!
And it's even protected from foul weather, freezing, etc.

Clever, those S. Koreans!

Y'all have a GREAT 2022!
FLH :cool:
Good to know, if I wasn’t aware of that I would think those S. Koreans didn’t even put a key hole. If you kept a separate flat Locked-Out key I suppose it might set off the alarm, but once you got the Fob out you could cancel the alarm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts