Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so my wife got her new Kia Soul, well, I really really really like it, and the other day she said I kind of like those HHR's also, but there is no way we could afford a new one even with the cash for clunkers bonus.. there are about 20k new, and they don't meet the MPGs we needed to go for the $4500..

So that got me thinking about my 2005 colorado that I never drive anymore due to it being a standard cab and us having a kid now, so it's low miles... Well yesterday I cleaned it up and decided to take it back to the dealer we got the truck from, who gave us a killer deal on it and our trade on it that we had boughten there before.. Well trade in value in KBB for the truck was $5500-6000. and the dealer had some good prices on 2009 HHRs.. So i figured if they got me up to 6k on the trade it would be doable.

So I went in looked over the HHRs and asked to get a value for my trade to see if its doable for us.. they looked it over drove it and asked me some questions, came back and said they would give me $7995 for my 5 year old truck, that I originally paid $11,300 for at the same dealer, calmly (yet screaming "hell yes" :eek: inside) I said yeah we can do that.. out the door price for this 2009 HHR that's loaded, $6495 and has only 10k on the odometer! and looks brand new.. :D

I could not pass it up.. this thing books at 17k still, Took it home and the let the wife drive it, she's like "I'd trade you the Soul for this".. HeHeHe!! SCORE !

Anyway I know it's not a soul but one hell of a good deal!

By the way I like this car and its quite the vehicle but its totally in a different price class compared to the soul, however I like the Soul better. Imagine that a Base model Soul being better liked than a 20k chevy... Way to go Kia!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow, I crown you "King of the Impulse Purchase"! Good deal though, and glad you're happy with it.

One of the guys I work with is a Captain in the fire dept. here and drives a red (fire engine red, of course) 2dr HHR without the rear windows. For April Fools Day we put little white ladders on the side and signs that said "Cap'n Bill's Fire Truck" just because it reminded me of a kid's pedal car fire truck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evil? Maybe, but an Evil Genius! :)
Yeah thats the plan, now the question is how much more can I get from the wife out of this deal :rolleyes:

I think I'll hold out a few months for winter to set in, the remore start may make it very worth my evil doing :D

<Insert evil muhahaha laugh here>

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great Deal...
I too considered the HHR - I've kind of liked them since they came out. The draw-back for me was that by the time you added the extras one would want - like you say - they were quite a bit over $20K. They have too engine sizes - somewhat like the SOUL and you have to buy a package of upgrades to get the engine you want...

The HHR was designed by the same person that did the PT Cruiser for Chrysler. The PT was another vehicle that I've always liked. So the designer had a chance to correct some things in the design from the PT to the HHR. Most impressive to me was the perfectly flat floor. The floor in the cargo are for the SOUL is far better than the PT, or the Suzuki SX-4 Crossover... but the HHR and Toyota Matrix {Pontiac Vibe} were more to my liking.

However when you get to the bottom line - the SOUL is NEW and FRESH and the Customer Value is far greater than anything else in its class.

Looks like you got the loaded/upgraded model - that the previous owner may have added more accessories too... Enjoy...

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The HHR is nice, also in 2009 is a flex fuel, as a alternative fuel guy, I like this, thinking of naming it BOOZER, since it runs ethanol, but thats the wife's duty since she really wants me to trade her for the soul.. I'll do it in time, got to make her really want it :D

But yes this one is loaded, they had 5 of these this was the upper priced of them, had the power roof and a few adds in the inside, and also this one really besides one little stain in the replaceable floor mat, it looks brand new. However they don't have onstar actually something I was going to have them physically disable if it did, it was a GM fleet car.. GM doesn't put onstar in fleet cars. I hate the idea of someone actually being able to disable your car without your direct control.. call me a paranoid control freek..

Any way I still like the Soul allot more than the HHR, however for $6500 the HHR is quite a hell of a nice car. I was actually surprised that it got as many looks as it did , it's not a Soul (stop traffic and call in a UFO sighting) by any means but it does command some attention.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yo,

E, the real value satisfaction index will be in 1 year. Check the value index at that point and see where both cars stand. Also, you can do a comparo to see which has less issues and, hopefully, no recalls for either. You can be our unofficial spokesperson for both chevy and Kia in the QC department. Kinda like consumer reports ;):D

·
Registered
910 Posts
When we were looking at cars last year, I looked at the HHR.. but they put the seat on a base thats like the yellow pages and it killed the headroom.. heck of a deal though.. pretty hard to pass up...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts